BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fielding & Jones

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THAT picture.... of Phil Jones in his England shirt should be used extensively by Rovers marketing team.

Its absolute quality, picturing an immaculate young man, with a determined, assured, totally confident look about him, what better more positive image is the out there for Blackburn Rovers football club than this one.

which picture? Is there a link?

On my way out of the office so don't have the time to scroll through the whole thing but straight off the top of my head I recall several positive mentions of Jones and a remark about Fielding taking a catch like Paul Collingwood. How much more embellishment do you want?

Re. the Scotland v Iceland game.............PLEASE. PLEASE, PLEASE!!! Don't let Big Sam watch that match. He will be straight out claiming that it totally vindicates his long ball game.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure where Phil Jones is best. He can do centre half we all know that but earlier this season he's been playing deep midfield. Of late though and I don't know if this is to orders he's been covering lots of ground in a freer and more forward role. Whether SA wants to turn him into a new Kevin Nolan I don't know but I do know that he is showing a weakness in his overall otherwise splendid game by foregoing his defensive midfield duties by occasionally ball watching and being caught on the 'wrong side' of the opposition. I can understand Sams predicament, he desperately wanted to bring much needed attacking midfielders in to share Dunny's duties but was denied the funds to do so, so he prob see's Jones as his best in fact only alternative option from the squad we have. Hovever unless N'Zonzi or Grella are playing to cover for him I think it may just be a step too far or more like too soon for Jones.

I'm not sure where Phil Jones is best. He can do centre half we all know that but earlier this season he's been playing deep midfield. Of late though and I don't know if this is to orders he's been covering lots of ground in a freer and more forward role. Whether SA wants to turn him into a new Kevin Nolan I don't know but I do know that he is showing a weakness in his overall otherwise splendid game by foregoing his defensive midfield duties by occasionally ball watching and being caught on the 'wrong side' of the opposition. I can understand Sams predicament, he desperately wanted to bring much needed attacking midfielders in to share Dunny's duties but was denied the funds to do so, so he prob see's Jones as his best in fact only alternative option from the squad we have. Hovever unless N'Zonzi or Grella are playing to cover for him I think it may just be a step too far or more like too soon for Jones.

I personally still think his best position is as a centre half even though he has done a very good job as a midfielder. Sam has gone on record that he sees him long term as a centre half as does the player himself in his recent interview in the Daily Mail.

He is playing well in that position right now but look at the long term picture. Would you rather have a player who is a jack of all trades, master of none? Would you rather have a great defender on your books or a good defender who can play as a midfielder if the situations arises?

I think at this moment in time this midfield stint won't be harming his development as a defender. But next season i think you are going to have to move him back into defense if you want to get the very best out of him and fully develop that unquestionable talent.

• 2 weeks later...

First yellow card of his career for Phil Jones.

Plus another good game. He is an very good central midfielder, has a lot more technique and passing ability than he gets credit for. I think - unless he gets injured/suspended - he is going to get 38 starts in midfield (unless he has missed a game which I have forgotten).

Paul Plunket just tweeted that it looks like Jones will be called into the senior England squad.

Great news, not surprised.

Hes beginning to look better than N'Zonzi.

We've lost Ronnie and out steps Phil Jones, its fantastic for the continueing success story of Blackburn Rovers football club.

Great news, not surprised.

Hes beginning to look better than N'Zonzi.

Does not strike me as particularly tricky. He is a gabillion times better than the Fonz. Passes better, quicker, strong in the tackle, better in the air. NZonzi can't touch him in any department apart from being able to play sideways pointless passes. And that is no real loss.

Does not strike me as particularly tricky. He is a gabillion times better than the Fonz. Passes better, quicker, strong in the tackle, better in the air. NZonzi can't touch him in any department apart from being able to play sideways pointless passes. And that is no real loss.

Not bad for Player of the Season, though.

N'zonzi was class, but he's suffering with second-season syndrome.

Not bad for Player of the Season, though.

N'zonzi was class, but he's suffering with second-season syndrome.

Nzonzi did a job in arguably the worst ever midfield I have seen at Rovers last season. But he never had much quality - a lot of promise sure, but like Kalinic has not really turned that into anything that useful on the pitch. The main beef I have with him is he can neither pass forwards nor close down the ball, even when he won player of the season. Both pretty crucial qualities for a central player imo.

With the signing of Goulon I can see Nzonzi really struggling to get a look in.

Nzonzi did a job in arguably the worst ever midfield I have seen at Rovers last season. But he never had much quality - a lot of promise sure, but like Kalinic has not really turned that into anything that useful on the pitch. The main beef I have with him is he can neither pass forwards nor close down the ball, even when he won player of the season. Both pretty crucial qualities for a central player imo.

With the signing of Goulon I can see Nzonzi really struggling to get a look in.

It can't be easy for a young central midfielder at Rovers.

Take jones, he has Samba, Nelsen, Givet who can all impart years of knowledge playing his main role.

Olsson has Diouf, Givet, Emerton as does Hoillet.

Kalinic Is in the same boat really as N'zonzi.

Keith is the only player in our first team who has played the role and can offer any type of guidance.

I wouldn't be hoping too highly about Goulon, however.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12016_6501086,00.html

Nothing in this report suggests Jones will be in the team. You would have thought SSN would have picked up on the omission.

Its all about Carroll tho.

But then Pearce did also say that some of the U21s who are missing have played a lot for their clubs and need a rest so with it being a friendly it could just be that. He may wish to look at other players with the tournament coming up in summer and so be giving a rest to players like Jones who have played regularly for thei clubs.

Archived