BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pay Pal

Hey Guys

I would like to setup a Pay Pal account. However, i need to know the following:

How does it work

Is it Safe

How do they know what the correct amount is that they deduct?

Regards

Isgak

Its just that i need to transfer money to Paul, as he purchased something on Ebay for me.

I know there is something called Money Gram, which also does some sort of transfer.

I also need to buy a Battery and back cover for my HTC Tytn 2, and i found it really cheap on ebay.

is there anybody that is willing to purchase this for me from Ebay... I cannot remember my user ID or password, and after requesting my USER ID and PASSWORD, i received no email

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Battery-Door-Back-Cover-HTC-TYTN-II-2-KAISER-P4550-/180541884961?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1600mAh-BATTERY-AT-T-HTC-8925-TILT-TYTN-II-2-Kaiser-/250685417622?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL#rpdId

i will be happy to transfer the money to you

Regards

Isgak

How does it work

Is it Safe

How do they know what the correct amount is that they deduct?

I was trying to keep out of this as I'm busy, but as it's my money...................

1. First create your account by going to the PayPal sign up page. It's very simple. You will probably have to link your PayPal account to a bank account or credit card, again it's very simple.

When you have created your account you simply enter the e-mail address of the person you wish to send money to - obviously they must also have a PayPal account. Then you enter the amount you want to pay. If the person you are paying is in your home country you use the local currency, in this case as you need to pay me in £££ you enter the amount in £££. I will get paid in ££ and you account will be debited in Rand.

2. It is perfectly safe provided you aren't dealing with anyone who is dodgy..........................so that rules me out!!!!!!!!!!!

3. As said above you tell PayPal the correct amount in ££, which will be paid to me and you get charged the equivalent in Rand.

4. There are charges, I don't think they are as high as 5% but I'm not sure. As you are sending me money you get charged the %, I as the receiver don't pay anything. If you buy on e-bay it is the seller who gets charged not you.

5. if you want to buy stuff on e-bay you really need a PayPal account. I understand what jim is saying and see his point. On the other hand it is a system and servive which works and most people appear happy to use it. The banks and credit card companies have equally evil charges and restrictive practices.

Paypal's fees and eBay's insistence in most cases on sellers having to offer Paypal is a scam. I understand the ruling has been challenged in the courts in some countries so why not here ?

Probably because it's not close to being a scam maybe ? There is no requirement to use PayPal other than the trust element from other users ? PayPal isn't cheap, but it is the defacto standard.

Whilst ebay now own PayPal, they are very different companies serving different purposes. The only people that don't get this are those that think PayPal is just an extension of ebay, but they are actually a merchant services company. In recent years PayPal has done a higher volume of transactions through none-ebay transaction than through ebay. They process $60 BILLION worth of transactions a year and in 2009 declared profits of $643 million. It's grown so large, there is pressure in the US to register it as a bank, rather than a money transmitter. It employs over 3000 staff and is it the forefront of online fraud security. Currently 165,000 websites accept payment via PayPal .... so were not talking about some fly-by-night charletons.

It's like saying "credit cards are a scam, they let you buy stuff without having cash on you, then expect you to pay more later".

Personally, I'm involved with several businesses (none that use eBay ... which I now detest because of either stupid or plain fraudulent customer unable to follow the simple rules they agreed to) that use PayPal as their sole way of paying and I think they do a great job.

Glenn are you suggesting that i dont use Ebay? I really need this HTC Tytn battery and back cover, and Ebay came up as the cheapest option. Any suggestions of where i can buy a cheap HTC TYTN 2 battery and back cover?

Glenn are you suggesting that i dont use Ebay? I really need this HTC Tytn battery and back cover, and Ebay came up as the cheapest option. Any suggestions of where i can buy a cheap HTC TYTN 2 battery and back cover?

Go to a shop/online and use your credit card.

Better to do that rather than inconvenience the likes of Paul.

There is nothing wrong with using ebay - I've bought loads of little computer bits from there.

Just make sure the seller has good feedback.

Make sure to check the postage costs & other related things out before you buy. Once you have clicked buy, then you have entered into a contract and must pay.

Not at all.

I just happened to personally stop selling on there because as it grew, people stopped following the rules and everything became so heavily stacked in favour of the buyer. As a seller it's so so so easy to lose money and/or stock to a buyer who decides the rules don't apply to them. Sadly as a seller there is no real way of choosing who you sell to based on feedback and people would happily do stuff like :-

a. Refuse to pay the P&P because "they know how much it costs to post", despite it being VERY clear on auction what the P&P cost is (sure, they know the postage cost, but do they know how much my packaging costs, and the time it took me to pack it and the time it took me to take it down to the post office, my car parking charges once I got there etc).

b. People who would do credit charge backs / leave bad feedback / initiate fraud claims when the Royal Mail mashes something, BEFORE contacting me (despite me including postal insurance that I'd happily have refunded with).

c. People who would simply return an item because "I found it cheaper elsewhere", "I didn't mean to bid on it" or "sorry, I don't want it now". When did that become my problems, not only have you wasted my time, I now have to pay to relist it.

d. People who insist on (often unsecure) payment methods other than the ones I mentioned in my auctions AFTER they have won.

e. People who bid from countries I don't include on my "countries I will ship to" list. I *know* it's stupidly expensive to ship to some countries, I *know* you'll have to pay import / customs duties for some countries, that's why I say I wont ship there.

.... the list goes on. eBay is quite good a protecting buyers, it's dreadful at protecting sellers. Hence why I now do my own shops and use PayPal to process the money.

But as a buyer, you have a lot less to lose. (But always check the seller's feedback closely first).

Probably because it's not close to being a scam maybe ? There is no requirement to use PayPal other than the trust element from other users ? PayPal isn't cheap, but it is the defacto standard.

I tried selling some items and asked for payment by cash, cheque or postal order and received a rebuke from eBay.

If you set up a seller account now there is a requirment that you link a Paypal account to it.

It is a scam adding up to 5 per cent to sellers' costs - one which has been stopped in several countries after legal action.

Go to a shop/online and use your credit card.

Better to do that rather than inconvenience the likes of Paul.

what are you on about mate? Paul offered to assist me, if it was of any inconvenience, then im sure he would have told me. :rolleyes:

I'm am just venturing into selling something on Ebay. It an item that they have to come and collect. I've specified that on the auction.

TBH I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing, notably about getting the payment from the buyer. I've signed up to paypal, but have never used it before.

I note from on here that Ebay and Paypal are linked. There is also mention on Ebay of Paypal generating an invoice that I have to submit to the buyer (that's right, is it?)

How will I know that I've received the money? Isn't there something about Ebay keeping money for 21 days or something?

If there's anyone on here who might be able to give me some quick tips I'd appreciate it. I have read some of the FAQ etc on Ebay, but I'm still a bit confused.

For example, there is a box on the left on ebay that says something along the lines of money received and money yet to be received. Is that money paid to ebay to hold for 21 days, or paid to paypal, or just an ebay admin thing? If it's held by ebay can the buyer just get it back of ebay after they've collected it?

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit numb!

Thanks in advance!

I'm am just venturing into selling something on Ebay. It an item that they have to come and collect. I've specified that on the auction.

TBH I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing, notably about getting the payment from the buyer. I've signed up to paypal, but have never used it before.

I note from on here that Ebay and Paypal are linked. There is also mention on Ebay of Paypal generating an invoice that I have to submit to the buyer (that's right, is it?)

How will I know that I've received the money? Isn't there something about Ebay keeping money for 21 days or something?

If there's anyone on here who might be able to give me some quick tips I'd appreciate it. I have read some of the FAQ etc on Ebay, but I'm still a bit confused.

For example, there is a box on the left on ebay that says something along the lines of money received and money yet to be received. Is that money paid to ebay to hold for 21 days, or paid to paypal, or just an ebay admin thing? If it's held by ebay can the buyer just get it back of ebay after they've collected it?

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit numb!

Thanks in advance!

Well Paypal is just ebays favourite payment method and probably safest there fore it does charge a little bit to use.

Basically paypal is like your own online bank account, if you sell something and ask for immediate payment via paypal you can log in to your account on paypal's own site to check to see if they have paid, if they have then you can transfer your cash in your paypal account to the bank account that you backed up your paypal account.

The same works for buying, even if you dont have any funds in your paypal account you can purchase something then paypal will take it from your bank maybe a week later, as for the things being placed on hold for 21 days, I have never had that happen to me, I think its just for their admin to decide whether the things sold or bought are within ebay laws.

Also if you put something to sell and you are only letting them pick it up, do the auction cash on collection saves all the fuss.

Also if you put something to sell and you are only letting them pick it up, do the auction cash on collection saves all the fuss.

Dan, I use e-bay a little to sell items I no longer need but which I think have some sort of value, quite often I'm surprised by the price people will pay for something I would have thrown out. E-bay can be very useful in this way. I'd just like to comment that "cash on collection" while saving you from having to pay the comission charges to PayPal may not be a good idea. In my experience buyers who want to collect do not always turn up, or can take weeks to collect, if you ask for payment at the end of the auction the buyer will have to pay you immediately which puts the onus on them to collect as you have their money. In my view the main problem with cash on collection is:

the buyer may not turn up and you are left wondering what to do plus you have had the expense of listing the item

when the buyer sees the item he / she may try to bargain on the price

you don't know the buyer so if you offer cash on collection you either need to clear the cheque first or ask for real cash. How will you know this is genuine currency?

I would strongly advise you request payment at the end of the auction and resist any attempts by potential buyers to persuade you otherwise.

And never let them use Paypal and then allow them to collect. You are wide open for being ripped off. Follow the Paypal rules, get your self verified, only sell/dispatch to the verified address, make sure you are operating under Paypals Ts and Cs and you'll be OK.

And never let them use Paypal and then allow them to collect. You are wide open for being ripped off. Follow the Paypal rules, get your self verified, only sell/dispatch to the verified address, make sure you are operating under Paypals Ts and Cs and you'll be OK.

Why is that oz? I ask as I'm planning to list a trailer this weekend and plan to ask for immediate payment via PayPal and then collection. Incidentally when I bought the trailer that is how the purchase was carried out.

If the buyer collects, after paying via Paypal, then puts in a claim to Paypal for Item Not Received, you have no proof that the goods were succesfully delivered. Paypal would not give house room to a `hand written receipt ` etc. I am not saying that letting them collect is going to be a problem, but I would not do it unless it is a small value item.

As I say, read and understand the Ts and Cs from Paypal, esp for Seller protection-viewable here.

This is also a very good site, Tamebay and this article here, and the subsequent comments are an eye opener for the uninitiated!

That's interesting, shame there are dishonest people around. None of that would have ocurred to me. Thanks for the links, I shall do soe reading later.

I've never had any problems with people paying with cash on collection; in fact I encourage it. Some people make 250-mile round trips and have a day out if it is something they are particularly looking forward to receiving and do not wish to risk damage in the post. The buyer is happy and I'm very happy to avoid Paypal's onerous charges.

Archived