BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pay Pal

If the buyer collects, after paying via Paypal, then puts in a claim to Paypal for Item Not Received, you have no proof that the goods were succesfully delivered. Paypal would not give house room to a `hand written receipt ` etc. I am not saying that letting them collect is going to be a problem, but I would not do it unless it is a small value item.

As I say, read and understand the Ts and Cs from Paypal, esp for Seller protection-viewable here.

This is also a very good site, Tamebay and this article here, and the subsequent comments are an eye opener for the uninitiated!

oz, spent some time reading these links but not all by any means. I'd be interested in your comment on this. I'm planning to list a trailer soon for which I hope to get around £200. Normally I would ask for PayPal in full and collection for obvious reasons. Following your post I'm considering asking for £50 PayPal deposit, balance on collection plus photo ID from the buyer at the time of collection. IMV that gives me some protection both from someone buying and not turning up and from a potential fake buyer turning up to collect.

I'd appreciate your view, or others, as you appear to have a greater interest in this than my more casual use of ebay.

Firstly Paul remember that the vast majority of buyers are honest and straight, so we are really only talking about a small potential for being scammed. It is possible to advertise the goods with conditions, such as invitation only to bid-you vet who can make a bid on your listing for example. The main problem with this is it can take up your time, and would probably dampen overall potential interest in the goods. The best way to get a maximum return is to auction it for 7 days, starting at 99p and have no reserve. If you know you would be happy with £200, why not sell it for a fixed price, with certain criteria in place (no zero feedback etc) to make sure you are happy with the buyers integrity?

Going back to the point you raised, if the goods are only available to be collected, you are not covered by Seller Protection if they put in an INR claim. You are obliged to advertise the goods with Paypal as a payment method, so you will have an element of risk in their somewhere. £50 deposit and COD minimises the risk to almost nothing and seems a sensible move if you are concerned.

Doesn't Iceman only want to use Paypal/eBay for a couple of transactions? I've been dealing with them extensively as both a buyer and seller, and apart from a few hiccups (one of which was due in part to my own negligence), it's an expedient method of online transactions. The problem is that people are far more likely to remember transactions that have gone wrong, instead of the numerous deals without a hitch. Allay your fears, Iceman, because millions of people use this popular service each and every day. It's not as bad as someone would have you believe.

Archived