BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Carling Cup

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw this on another site and it made me chuckle

Bolton Wanderers have been drawn away to Championship relegation favourites Burnley in the third round of the Carling Cup.

Owen Coyle returns to the club he used as a stepping stone to much better things, but will take a team comprised of reserve and youth players as the competition is seen as distracting to a Premier League outfit. Brian Laws, his counterpart at Turf Moor is expected to field a full strength side.

Laws, who guided two different clubs to relegation last season, may see the tie as something of a swan song, as he isn’t expected to last in the job past Christmas. His team were crushed at Swansea on saturday, leading to more pressure on the Clarets boss.

The tie will take place in the week commencing 20th September, and Burnley supporters are eagerly awaiting Coyle’s visit, as it gives them a chance to pay tribute to a man who took them to the only spell in top flight football they’re ever likely to see.

Bolton Wanderers have been drawn away to Championship relegation favourites Burnley in the third round of the Carling Cup.

Owen Coyle returns to the club he used as a stepping stone to much better things, but will take a team comprised of reserve and youth players as the competition is seen as distracting to a Premier League outfit. Brian Laws, his counterpart at Turf Moor is expected to field a full strength side.

Laws, who guided two different clubs to relegation last season, may see the tie as something of a swan song, as he isn’t expected to last in the job past Christmas. His team were crushed at Swansea on saturday, leading to more pressure on the Clarets boss.

The tie will take place in the week commencing 20th September, and Burnley supporters are eagerly awaiting Coyle’s visit, as it gives them a chance to pay tribute to a man who took them to the only spell in top flight football they’re ever likely to see.

:D Wonder what they've in mind for Coyley then!!!

Not too pleased at us getting Villa again, had enough of them last season. However, it would be nice to get through to the next round. Was hoping for a trip to Scunthorpe as the last time I saw them they were being trounced by Swindon Town ...

Knowing the dingles ability to volte-face, they will have a half time speech from John Bond about Coyle being a bad 'un met by rapturous applause.

I'm at Loughborough Uni, Villa Park is one of the closest prem league clubs (Even though its still about an hour away). I shall attend.

...Still gutted Forest or Leicester didn't get promotion, 10 mins train journey would of been bliss!!!

I'm at Loughborough Uni, Villa Park is one of the closest prem league clubs (Even though its still about an hour away). I shall attend.

...Still gutted Forest or Leicester didn't get promotion, 10 mins train journey would of been bliss!!!

You're at Uni and still haven't mastered "would have"?

You're at Uni and still haven't mastered "would have"?

I hope you aren't registering suprise there Gumboots. You more than most must know that the 3 R's are not prioritised in primary schools to the same extent as they were 40 years ago.

Do we blame the kids for being thick or an education system which annually contrives to make them believe that they are in fact more intelligent than their counterparts of even a year ago?

*sigh*

I like Blackburn and everything, but you have to wonder how many more times we can play eachother before it gets very very old. I think it's a pretty ###### draw for both of us really.

How many times will that have us playing in 2010 now? 5 or something?

I hope you aren't registering suprise there Gumboots. You more than most must know that the 3 R's are not prioritised in primary schools to the same extent as they were 40 years ago.

Do we blame the kids for being thick or an education system which annually contrives to make them believe that they are in fact more intelligent than their counterparts of even a year ago?

Not surprise because I know better than most that the standard of English in most people's writing has deteriorated. However, universities should maintain standards and anyone writing that, regardless of the quality of their arguments would have been marked down when I graduated. I agree totally about the system that says standards have risen for the last 20+ years but allows children to resit exams until they get the pass mark (but fails to show it on the certificate)and allows them to work almost entirely on modular exams, and yet produces children unable to write or speak coherent and correctly spelt English, who cannot punctuate or use grammar correctly. And even worse, they challenge you when they get something wrong and you point it out, saying that their English teacher says it's correct.

Not surprise because I know better than most that the standard of English in most people's writing has deteriorated. However, universities should maintain standards and anyone writing that, regardless of the quality of their arguments would have been marked down when I graduated. I agree totally about the system that says standards have risen for the last 20+ years but allows children to resit exams until they get the pass mark (but fails to show it on the certificate)and allows them to work almost entirely on modular exams, and yet produces children unable to write or speak coherent and correctly spelt English, who cannot punctuate or use grammar correctly. And even worse, they challenge you when they get something wrong and you point it out, saying that their English teacher says it's correct.

Er, modern education, or the lack of it, is one of my pet hates but the verdict on the above is must do better :)

Then there are some degrees that don't even require taking exams (like mine :D ). Also, there's a serious amount of joke degrees around. I know someone doing a degree in Viking Studies! I've also seen courses named 'Madonna studies', 'pig enterprise management' and i think i saw somewhere offering a degree in David Beckham.

I see some Villa fans are running scared already, Big Samba must be giving them sleepless nights :lol:

"Are you being serious? Blackburn have strengthened and we look weaker than for quite some time. They stuck 4 past us in the second leg last season at a time when our defence was actualy playing well. They beat us last game of the season here too. I can think of many easier games than this to start us off."

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=63978&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Archived