BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Whiskey

If you want to get him something a bit different, i.e. not the mainstream producers available everywhere, I suggest you jump in the car and drive to Lower Wheelton. There's a little off-licence, opposite the launderette, that sells some very, very good single malts from small distilleries. The owner, Keith I think is his name, is a great whisky fan and travels to Scotland driving round distilleries, buying stock and then bringing it home. All the really good stuff is on the topshelf behind the counter. I've had countless very good bottles from there, too many to list here. Expect to pay between £30-40. Buying from this guy you either have to take pot luck or try to get an idea of what your father-in-law likes and then ask for help. One of the nice things is being from less well known distilleries the bottles tend to look a bit special and not instantly recognisable.

One you could try, which is widely available from Diageo, is The Singleton at about £27-28. I like it and think it a reliable whisky. I picked up a bottle of 15 year old the other day, but more usually it is 12 year old malt. Another, and this would have the benefit of being unusual, is from here Penderyn Distillery and is the only Welsh whisky. The special editions may be difficult to track down locally but I know Booth's, Chorley, stock the single malt. I really enjoy this one, have given it to 2-3 friends as a present, and being Welsh whisky is always a talking point.

So you can pop in to Wheelton on your way to Chorley and make a decision! If you're not sure where Lower Wheelton is, take the A674 Blackburn - Chorley road, go through Higher Wheelton, about one mile further on watch for The Dressers pub set back on your left (from Blackburn), turn right here and the offie is about quarter mile on your left. Park on the double yellows, nobody minds if you're quick

BTW - spelt with an "e" it's Irish whiskey but I assume you meant whisky :)

For the well-known affordable distilleries it is hard to beat Laguvulin. Nice and smokey and always enjoyable.

I bet you have many leather bound books and your apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Any idea if your F-in-L has any preference with his whiskey, or are you buying completely blind?

If you have no idea then I would stay away from any island malts and almost everything from Islay (Talisker, Laphroaig etc). These are usually smokey and peaty and are very much an aquired taste (but lovely once you have aquired it). An exception to that would be Bunnahabhain from Islay, which I find goes down very easily.

If you want to play it safe then I would choose a speyside malt. Cardhu is very nice. Another that has more chance of being found in a supermarket is the Glenlivet 15yr french oak reserve.

All of the above will cost somewhere around £25-40.

No ones asked the most imp question..... If he likes whisky with anything other than ice or a little water e.g. dry ginger, canada dry, coke or lemonade then just buy him the cheapest you can find. If that makes you feel like a cheapskate then buy him 2 bottles. ;)

An old gent i know recommended a blended whiskey to me, call Hankey Banister. He said the only place within 100miles of Blackburn to sell it is in Clitheroe (i`m not sure whether this is true or not):huh:

The reason this old gent likes a tipple of Hankey Banister is because it was said to be the favourite drink of Winston Churchill during the war years. Winston was once accused of liking his alcohol a bit too much, but he rebuffed this accusation by saying "I have taken far more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of myself"....or something like that! :unsure:

The old bloke said "if it was good enough for Winston Churchill, it`s good enough for me"

I have yet to visit the shop in Clitheroe, but i intend to purchase a bottle.

An old gent i know recommended a blended whiskey to me, call Hankey Banister. He said the only place within 100miles of Blackburn to sell it is in Clitheroe (i`m not sure whether this is true or not):huh:

The reason this old gent likes a tipple of Hankey Banister is because it was said to be the favourite drink of Winston Churchill during the war years. Winston was once accused of liking his alcohol a bit too much, but he rebuffed this accusation by saying "I have taken far more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of myself"....or something like that! :unsure:

The old bloke said "if it was good enough for Winston Churchill, it`s good enough for me"

I have yet to visit the shop in Clitheroe, but i intend to purchase a bottle.

Byrnes I'd wager. Excellent shop. I once went to buy an obscure whisky called Old Fettercairn as a present for someone. I expected to come away empty handed but they went staright to one on the shelf, put it in a bag and charged me without batting an eyelid.

Check out the gallery here....

http://www.dbyrne-finewines.co.uk/

I don't know how to put this...but I'm kind of a big deal.

I'm just gonna put it out there. If you want it, you can take it. If you don't, send it right back.

I want to be on you.

Laphroig is lovely, but an acquired taste.

I'm with you on this one. First sip - horrible; second sip - not bad; third sip - nectar.

It's really different and if the F-O-L is a whisky lover then he'll appreciate it.

If you have no idea then I would stay away from any island malts and almost everything from Islay (Talisker, Laphroaig etc).

Talisker wont take kindly to being labeled an Islay malt ... it's distilled on Skye ... but you're right, it is an acquired taste. For an inoffensive light (slightly sweet) malt you can't beat a Dalwhinnie.

BBDU just to say I was in the offie last night and the choice was quite small of the lesser known bottles. Still a good choice but not as much as expected - and less when I left!!!!

Archived