BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benjani Signs

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely the best quote.

Allardyce said: “He is an experienced Premier League footballer on the front line. There was a little concern about his knee problem, he has convinced us though and the medical staff that will he can stand up.

The beauty of this signing is there is no gamble whatsoever involved.

As in hes had plenty of time for the manager to see him in training, hes experienced, well know among the premiership football fraternity, and has passed a medical to say hes fit to play, how much better can it get. :D

Sam Allardyce puts his footballing reputation before him as big Sam has no room for error here Benjani being a failure isnt an option :)

On Radio Lancs today Benjani said it would be at least a month before he is match fit for the Premier League.

I've just noticed this - what an absolute joke. How long has he been training here already?

Don't rush back mate - have a nice long paid holiday on us! :angry:

I've just noticed this - what an absolute joke. How long has he been training here already?

Don't rush back mate - have a nice long paid holiday on us! :angry:

I wish JW would come out and admit that the Benni money slipped down the back of the sofa. It's just insulting to think Benjani would be signed ahead of Popov, if the money was there.

Why, no-one knows whether Popov would have done the job for us? You could have said the same thing before we signed Carlos.

At £1.5m, where's the risk? He's 22 years-old and can play as an attacking midfielder (where we only have Dunn). The club screwed the fans over and they should have the balls to admit it.

At £1.5m, where's the risk? He's 22 years-old and can play as an attacking midfielder (where we only have Dunn). The club screwed the fans over and they should have the balls to admit it.

When you say "the club", who do you mean?

Sam or JW, who operate within the budget restrictions?

The Trust, who are about to sell the club?

How many clubs have you ever seen issue a statement saying "we screwed up" over the non signing of a £1.5 million unknown Bulgarian?

When you say "the club", who do you mean?

Sam or JW, who operate within the budget restrictions?

The Trust, who are about to sell the club?

How many clubs have you ever seen issue a statement saying "we screwed up" over the non signing of a £1.5 million unknown Bulgarian?

JW should have been completely upfront with the fans in his recent Q&A. It's obvious to everyone that the £2.25m for Benni has gone. If we had it, we could have signed Popov WITHOUT having to sell Roberts first. I don't hold JW responsible for the financial situation, of course, but he was being economical with the truth.

You said that it was an insult to sign Benjani before Popov. To say that, you must believe that Popov would have done a better job as a striker - you don't know that.

You're criticising the club without actually knowing that Popov is good enough.

You said that it was an insult to sign Benjani before Popov. To say that, you must believe that Popov would have done a better job as a striker - you don't know that.

You're criticising the club without actually knowing that Popov is good enough.

It doesn't take a lot of working out.

Is that a withdrawal, then? :D

Au contraire. Given the choice of an unwanted 32 year-old striker, who's scored four goals in two years, is a month away from match fitness, and knackered knees, OR a 22 year-old attacking midfielder/striker for a nominal fee who could become a prize asset, you think we need a crystal ball to see what the most attractive option is?

Given the choice of an unwanted 32 year-old striker, who's scored four goals in two years, is a month away from match fitness, and knackered knees, OR a 22 year-old attacking midfielder/striker for a nominal fee who could become a prize asset, you think we need a crystal ball to see what the most attractive option is?

Depends who's gazing into the crystal ball Topman. You're basically saying anyone is better than Benjani. That's not true.

Depends who's gazing into the crystal ball Topman. You're basically saying anyone is better than Benjani. That's not true.

Nice try at moving the goalposts. I take it you agree that Popov was the better option?

We've got Benjani because we're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Are you happy with Benjani then den?

As for everyone not being better than Benjani, I know we weren't in the market for Messi or Rooney but I'd gladly even have taken the likes of Beattie or Vaughan over him. And I didn't want them.

Would your argument still stand if we were at this point a couple of years ago and we'd signed Fowler instead of Popov?

Are you happy with Benjani then den?

Not really, but he has done it at this level before and who knows how he'll perform now. That's not my point Rev. Topman reckons Popov is better and it's an insult to say otherwise. Topman doesn't know that and could be wrong.

Nice try at moving the goalposts. I take it you agree that Popov was the better option?

We've got Benjani because we're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

What I disliked about the whole saga was the different stories

1) We had to sell Roberts first as we only needed four strikers.

2) Our valuation on Popov was different from the selling club.

For what he moved for our valuation was obviously a Rovers bumper sticker.

From what JW said in the LT he said "Five strikers was never an option"

However we didn't HAVE to sign Benjani so presumably we either couldn't afford the 1.5m fee for Popov OR Roberts + Popov on the wage bill was too expensive but Benjani plus either of the other two wouldn't have been.

From what JW said in the LT he said "Five strikers was never an option"

However we didn't HAVE to sign Benjani so presumably we either couldn't afford the 1.5m fee for Popov OR Roberts + Popov on the wage bill was too expensive but Benjani plus either of the other two wouldn't have been.

Yes that all makes perfect sense doesn't it?

The 1.5 was in Euros too right?

Oh, I meant the explanation not your post RevidgeBlue.

Archived