BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benjani Signs

I personally think he looked better as he was playing closer to goal. So was actually able to shoot at goal! Sunderland operated a high defensive line when Kalinic played, as they knew our pace wouldnt trouble them. When Benjani and even M.Diouf came on, this changed and they had to operate deeper (closer to their own goal).

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally agree..what's the lad done wrong...? I see him frightening defences to death for the ressies and never gets a look in...pace and directness that we just don't have anywhere in the team right now....

What makes me laugh is that Sam is always going on that Hoilett isn't ready, too raw, etc. but who exactly is keeping him out of the side? If we've got pace and energy, bloody use it.

What makes me laugh is that Sam is always going on that Hoilett isn't ready, too raw, etc. but who exactly is keeping him out of the side? If we've got pace and energy, bloody use it.

We also need someone who is able to defend, this is very important in a 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation. Something Hoilett is physically and denfensively not up to. This is why until he improves this side of his game, he will usually only come on if we are chasing games or playing teams that we do not believe will cause us too many problems attacking wise (down the flanks).

don't see spurs struggling to defend when defoe is playing...he's similar in stature and pace to hoilett...I think that this is the worst management of a player I've seen. He'd be justified wanting a move cos the shyte that's playin up front at the moment aren't in the same class....what's his contract situation..? I'd bet we'll see this lad pop up at another club very soon and biting us on the arse.

don't see spurs struggling to defend when defoe is playing...he's similar in stature and pace to hoilett...I think that this is the worst management of a player I've seen. He'd be justified wanting a move cos the shyte that's playin up front at the moment aren't in the same class....what's his contract situation..? I'd bet we'll see this lad pop up at another club very soon and biting us on the arse.

The key difference being spurs operate with 2 players upfront and play a 4-4-2. Not to mention they play completely different tactically to us due to the players they have available. Comparing us to spurs, and hoilett to defore is ludicrous.

Defoe can actually finish.

Just hit the back of the net Hughesy, Hoilett can do what you mention above.

You're joking right? He had some absolutely shocking misses last season and was the main reason everyone was so frustrated with him. Brilliant work on the ball, but hopeless finishing.

• 6 months later...

Looks like Kean might be offering an extension to Benjani, so what's everyone's thoughts on offering him a new deal?

Anyone else concerned that we could end up having the same strike force next season? Roque (who Kean wants to sign despite no goals, problems with fitness as well), Roberts (just signed a one year deal) and Benjani (major doubts about fitness). A strike force that hasn't produced not only this season but in Roberts case seasons before it.

And does anyone else think we need to get back to the model that worked under Hughes? Primarily signing players who are young enough to have a re-sale value if developed right or making them perform above their ability, but this time with the new owners pumping the money back into the club?

Any striker that gets offered a contract extension having scored 3 goals all season must have some compromising pics, the fact that we have struggled to score goals all season should spell out that our strikers simply are'nt up to the job.

Get shut and replace or we have the same problems next year.

Looks like Kean might be offering an extension to Benjani, so what's everyone's thoughts on offering him a new deal?

Anyone else concerned that we could end up having the same strike force next season? Roque (who Kean wants to sign despite no goals, problems with fitness as well), Roberts (just signed a one year deal) and Benjani (major doubts about fitness). A strike force that hasn't produced not only this season but in Roberts case seasons before it.

I must say having seen that in the paper this morning has me extremely worried RV and the guy that works in the petrol station is on suicide watch.

I’ve always said, give Venkys until the start of next season before judging, but offering Benjani a contract extension indicates, we’re not able to improve that position, and that’s a real worry for me.

If we had any real spending power he’d be let go, so I’m slightly concerned to say the least.

I'm happy to have him here as backup. Every squad needs depth.

He doesn't sulk when he's on the bench (like Roberts), always works hard and generally does a decent job when he plays. Every so often he can have a blinder (e.g. Liverpool) as well.

I'm pretty sure his wages will be reasonable too given that nobody else wanted him when we signed him. All in all he's a good backup player to have around. I'd rather see him on the bench as fourth choice than see Roberts' moody face.

All our funds need to go on finding first/second choice strikers. No point making that task even harder by needing squad players too.

I'm happy to have him here as backup. Every squad needs depth.

All our funds need to go on finding first/second choice strikers. No point making that task even harder by needing squad players too.

Giving Roberts a new contract would suggest he'd be a squad player at best, along with Kalinic, but it worries me suggesting Benjani could be offered a deal.

As you say LeChuck we need first/second choice strikers, but they don’t come cheap, fingers crossed.

• Backroom

To be fair LeChuck the newspapers seemed to have ignored the fact he signed a new contract as well - according to the daily mail he's going to Ipswich on a free when he's out of contract in the summer. if only. :(

• Moderation Lead

To be fair LeChuck the newspapers seemed to have ignored the fact he signed a new contract as well - according to the daily mail he's going to Ipswich on a free when he's out of contract in the summer. if only. :(

Yup, we can but dream! Benjani is far better than Roberts, though if we bring injuries into the equation then it's the reverse!

I still don't get why we were so hasty in offering Roberts a new deal......

according to the daily mail he's going to Ipswich on a free when he's out of contract in the summer.

Exactly the reason why I can't stand the national media, and put zero credability on anything they print about our club.

For me, it's either Roberts or Benjani. We can't keep both.

Even if Venky's dont have the cash to burn, I bet we could find someone on a free transfer or loan who could contribute more than Benjani's 3 goals in 18 games. Not to mention he'll be 33 next season.

Scary prospect.

• Backroom

Happy if he's offered a new contract he offers more as a full package than our other strikers.

He's superb at bringing the wingers into play after holding the ball up

I must say having seen that in the paper this morning has me extremely worried RV and the guy that works in the petrol station is on suicide watch.

I’ve always said, give Venkys until the start of next season before judging, but offering Benjani a contract extension indicates, we’re not able to improve that position, and that’s a real worry for me.

If we had any real spending power he’d be let go, so I’m slightly concerned to say the least.

Totally agree with this GAV. Giiving Banjoni a new deal would be the writing on the wall for me. Almost makes staying up this season pointless - except another season's PL TV money. And if that is not used to re-invest then where else would it go?

I'd question how we go from being linked with a rising star one week (valued at stupid money) to a lame duck the next (and more likely). Fans' expectation levels are constantly being raised and shot down.

Two things for me: transfer budget and season ticket prices will give a clear indication of where we are going with Venkys. At the minute everything seems to me to be last minute, temporary, 'on-the-cheap' and short term - including statements like "give us a year". Then what?

I have not decided whether Kean is being smart or stupid.

to say to probably our best striker (sad I know) "go prove your worth a new contract, do something in the last three games to show you deserve another year "

Verse "no matter what you do you are a gonna, but please try hard anyway"

I'd hope Kean is telling him a big fat lie to get a extra 10% out of him.

Remember...............

"Great liars are also great magicians." Adolf Hitler

Archived