BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Williams & Co

Without him we'd be screwed. In the bankrupt, relegated, administration, liquidation kind of screwed. Do you ever read the accounts? The man's performed little short of miracles on our income.

I'd say JW also owes a lot of that to a certain Mr. Hughes. His superb eye in the transfer market has allowed us to cash in on our best assets each season and keep the club afloat.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say JW also owes a lot of that to a certain Mr. Hughes. His superb eye in the transfer market has allowed us to cash in on our best assets each season and keep the club afloat.

So what you are basically saying is that mark hughes did the job he paid for, and john willaims has done the job he is paid for!

john williams imo is the best chairman in the premiership! he has completly spoon fed the fans with ridicilously cheap season tickets and sweetners! and for anyone to suggest he should retire is a moron!

we know, and have know for a while that until investment is made in the club, it is difficult/impossible to move forward.

but as we all know ali syed is in the process of buying the club which will release money for transfers!

i would much rather be mid table premiership and financially stable, than gamble on speding money we dont have, look where that got portsmouth!

IN JOHN WILLIAMS WE TRUST!!!!

Ok, no one can say I have any problems with Mr. Williams, but I do have some questions that I would like answered.

1)Whom were we bidding on?

2)Exactly what money paid for Salgado wages?

3)Why are we constantly told that money is being saved for some other time?

4)Where does said money go when that time arrives?

5)What is our fallback plan if the takeover does not happen?

6)Will the trust help us if that happens?

7)Where exactly did the money for Benni go?

8)Why could we not complete the deal for Popov?

9)Where did the extra placement money go?

1/ why reveal that now, it may resurface again if Rovers have more investment

2/ Same pot that is paying everybody elses wages. Or used to reduce season ticket / match tickets

3/ The club still has to pay for the general running of the club. Rovers did not have a high valued player such as RSC to sell this time.

4/Paying towards the other players wages. Rovers have often said the wage bill is too high.

5/ I believe they already know that the takeover will be happening.

6/ See above

7/see above

8/ Could not get a work permit, therefore this was out of Rovers hands. be interesting to know when that was refused. I suggest that it happened just as Roberts was about to join QPR, hence the now not for sale. Maybe they also know that any appeal would be fruitless. Is it only in football that you have to have a work permit?

10 the money is still there, hence why they were going for Popov. Which was also subject to Roberts going to QPR.

I think that come January, we will all be thankful that Rovers did not just sign a player, put him on a long, rich contract - then not play him.

True - however he still also loaded us with big contracts for players such as Reid, Rigters, Roberts etc.....players which are now blocking our current manager from getting 'his' young/ potential stars which could also be very good for our future!

Like someone else said - its all part of football, nobody is to blame as such - although their is no doubting INCE was a big Dent on our club - Andrews, Simpson & Grella FFS + A poor season which wrecked our budget!

1/ why reveal that now, it may resurface again if Rovers have more investment

2/ Same pot that is paying everybody elses wages. Or used to reduce season ticket / match tickets

3/ The club still has to pay for the general running of the club. Rovers did not have a high valued player such as RSC to sell this time.

4/Paying towards the other players wages. Rovers have often said the wage bill is too high.

5/ I believe they already know that the takeover will be happening.

6/ See above

7/see above

8/ Could not get a work permit, therefore this was out of Rovers hands. be interesting to know when that was refused. I suggest that it happened just as Roberts was about to join QPR, hence the now not for sale. Maybe they also know that any appeal would be fruitless. Is it only in football that you have to have a work permit?

10 the money is still there, hence why they were going for Popov. Which was also subject to Roberts going to QPR.

I think that come January, we will all be thankful that Rovers did not just sign a player, put him on a long, rich contract - then not play him.

I will try reading that again after the quarter bottle of Grouse I have just drank runs its course.

I dont know what came over me, feel slightly dispirited I suppose - fixed that with the Grouse.

I understand that we have issues with money, God I do, trust me on that one.

Hope is always a trixy @#/?, harder to grab onto as smoke but sticks to your brain like tar.

Yes, we have found ourselves in a very frustrating situation and there is a lot of disappointment at not signing anyone but JW is in charge of this club and runs it well, hence why Mr Syed is looking at investing in us. None of us on here (well unlikely anyway) have ran a football club nor know how to run a football club (football manager doesn't count!) so I think it is best to leave it to JW and co. We don't know every little detail about this club and what goes on behind the scenes so we cannot pass judgement on something we don't have full information on.

JW will run our club in the best possible manner. What reason does he have to not do that?? It is obviously not pretty what goes on but it is something we have to all accept. I am not saying I am completely happy, there are wages which are too high and no money being spent of transfers which we would all like to see, but I have accepted it as I know everything that is being done is in the best interests of Blackburn Rovers FC. We would all be moaning even more if we went the way of Portsmouth!

Leave the club in the hands of the experts. Just support what ever happens as we should do as fans of this club.

It is part and parcel of football and supporting clubs that not everyone is happy so I am not having a go at anyone for their opinions, I just feel they should not be so knee-jerk and mud slinging in JW's direction just cos a few things haven't gone our way. One thing I will say though is: unleaded - please stick to giving us your brilliant posts from scouting weird and wonderful players like you do so well rather than this vitriol.

Well bringing in Ince was a bit naive, but to be fair to him he was trying to bring in a young, British manager and he had the sense and ruthlessness to sack him when it was clear things were not working out; many a chairman would of allowed him more time but Williams saw sense and brought in an experienced manager to help us stay up. An error but he saw that and tried to rectify his mistake.

And to be honest the mystery striker was more a media driven campaign, mainly by the LET than by the club itself.

I would just point out that unleaded is usualy in the employ of football agents.

If we are to play the blame game of who gets it, football agents or John Williams, I know he would be in a minority of one.

I am not going to enter any debate other than to say an attack like this on John Williams is below contempt.

I would just point out that unleaded is usualy in the employ of football agents.

Ah so thats it is it?

The only way that we have survived so long is as a selling club. Find a player, develop him and flog him for a profit. These past couple of transfer windows show that by and large transfer fees within football are fast becoming history (as the consequences of Freedom of Contract finally kick in) and the income for the club (and presumably unleaded) is quickly drying up. Obviously the Trust has been aware of this for some time.

Makes the reason for overseas individuals buying the club ever more of a mystery too.

I have great respect for JW, but certain members need to bear in mind, that when he makes mistakes then criticism will follow. JW cannot play Mr Nice Guy all the time, he comes across as being too nice. You want to keep the manager happy, and you want to keep the fans happy. He is trying to balance the financial side of the club, but he needs to balance the support of the club as well. If we have 6mill to spend, and Sam wants to blow it all on 1 player, then JW needs to ask questions 1st. We are too quick to give JW the thumbs up, and overlooking his errors. JW is doing a fantastic job, but there are loads of valid questions that need to be answered.

Ok, no one can say I have any problems with Mr. Williams, but I do have some questions that I would like answered.

- Who decided to give Khishanishvilli 30k/week

- Why was Jason Roberts not given a squad number when everyone knew that the market was slow, and we may end up not selling him? Now we're paying his wages when he'll never contribute again

Guest Kamy100

Am afraid that I don't agree with this topic one little bit.

John Williams has done a superb job for Rovers (apart from one mistake - hiring Paul Ince)! He is widely regarded as one of the best Chairman in the Premier League and is one of the reasons why Syed Ali decided to bid for Rovers over the likes of Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle. Mr Ali and his team regard Rovers as being in the top three of best runs clubs in the Premier League, this is entirely due to the hard work of John Williams and his team.

I can understand the frustration that people are feeling RE the transfer window, I am feel the sameway. However to put the blame on one person is entirely wrong. At the end of the day JW cannot spend money that the club does not have, if as it appears the Trustees have decided not to put anymore money in pending the sale of the club then our hands are tied. The other thing that we have to look at is the transfer budget was eaten into by offering new deals to N'Zonzi, Jones and MGP.

Most of us have questions about how or why things have happened at our club. Speculation on why Roberts wasn't given a squad number, I've done it myself, is always going to be rife when we don't know why. The club does not have to explain everything that happens and why should it? A lot of this stuff is in private and behind closed doors. Calling for JW's head because we haven't signed anybody relatively big this window is frankly ridiculous. JW has run this club EXTREMELY well and continues to do so. It must be like walking a tightrope blindfolded with both hands and feets tied together at times.

The club must have a valuation of a player before they pursue them and if the selling club values their player much higher, based on the idea we'll pay it anyway, why shouldn't Rovers walk away? The club management HAVE to balance the books, it's as simple as that. Gambling with the clubs future ala Pompey, Leeds is a disastrous course. When we have money, let a bit of sensible spending commence.

We don't have much money so we don't want to pay over the odds for players. We don't want to pay ridiculous wages. We don't want has beens on massive salaries who are only going to turn up to earn and not give 100%. Let JW continue the FINE job he's been doing. God knows it must be bloody difficult.

Williams desearves his own Topic after this latest Comedy show..........I for one think JW is not Good for BRFC any more and needs to think about Retiring..........Some of the things He should Explain:

Why is the wages-to-Income problem not come down when he knows this has been the problem for the last Few seasons...........so much so that you ended up with Benjani on a Pay as you play Deal!!..Why? because we are stuffed so much with the likes of Richters,Roberts,Zurab,Flynn,Andrews that no other clubs can afford them....

-Benni Money?

-Why Allow Sam 3 Right Backs?

-Wheres the Money gone which they have been bidding for these Mystry Strikers All summer long............This Saga was a total disgrace and i have never seen anything like it......What did they get in the end for their seceracy?

I can go on and on but hope Williams doesnt.

We all make mistakes unleaded, so long as we learn from them then surely we can move on and grow. I'm as disappointed as you are and i'm sure there are many more but we are entering a new era, were footballers wages have gone way, way too far, hopefully this summer is the beginning or the start of football pegging back its finances and that of accelerating wages.

Lets not forget footaball agents they need their wings clipping back.

The good things is next week we wont be seeing a weaker Rovers team becuase we just lost one of our best players will we.

Cheer up unleaded it isnt that bad :rover:

I have great respect for JW, but certain members need to bear in mind, that when he makes mistakes then criticism will follow. JW cannot play Mr Nice Guy all the time, he comes across as being too nice.

I've met the chairman on occassions and you are quite correct he does come across as a nice guy, I'm sure he is. Don't for one minute think that prevents him from being as hard as needed when the situation requires. It's a characteristic of many successful, confident business people, very pleasant all of the time until a piece of steel is required, then you see a different side of the individual. One who is very determined to get the job done and to correctly do whatever is necessary to run the business, in this case our club, in the best possible manner.

I find this thread astonishing. Perhaps there have been times when the wrong decision has been made, but for the right reasons. Ultimately John Williams has overseen the running of this club in an exemplary fashion for many years. He's found time for everyone from the individual fan with a gripe through to multi-billionaires looking to invest £000ms into Rovers. At a time when PL clubs are falling over themselves to take on any old buyer he, the Trust and Rothschilds have taken the long view and time to find what we all hope will be a new owner to take us forward. Clearly the wrong man for the job!!

If we are to play the blame game of who gets it, football agents or John Williams, I know he would be in a minority of one.

I am not going to enter any debate other than to say an attack like this on John Williams is below contempt.

What is this love affair with John Williams all about? As far as I can see he seems a nice chap and a good employee of the club. But that's it, he's not a saint he's not fault-free and he's certainly not above criticism.

You've called it an"attack" but all Unleaded has done has voiced some strong criticisms he has about William's performance. Quite mild in comparison to some that have been made against Allardyce.

'below contempt' my ****.

I've met the chairman on occassions and you are quite correct he does come across as a nice guy, I'm sure he is. Don't for one minute think that prevents him from being as hard as needed when the situation requires. It's a characteristic of many successful, confident business people, very pleasant all of the time until a piece of steel is required, then you see a different side of the individual. One who is very determined to get the job done and to correctly do whatever is necessary to run the business, in this case our club, in the best possible manner.

I find this thread astonishing. Perhaps there have been times when the wrong decision has been made, but for the right reasons. Ultimately John Williams has overseen the running of this club in an exemplary fashion for many years. He's found time for everyone from the individual fan with a gripe through to multi-billionaires looking to invest £000ms into Rovers. At a time when PL clubs are falling over themselves to take on any old buyer he, the Trust and Rothschilds have taken the long view and time to find what we all hope will be a new owner to take us forward. Clearly the wrong man for the job!!

They are certainly taking the "long view" now alright. We are always told they have the long-term interests of the club at heart and thats why they have gone through every offer with a fine-tooth comb.They don't seem to care about what's happening right now though if the Transfer window is any guide. Not including John Williams in this criticism by the way, he is simply an employee.

So what you are basically saying is that mark hughes did the job he paid for, and john willaims has done the job he is paid for!

Nope. Mark Hughes was brought in to win football matches. No one could foresee the saleable assets he brought to this club. In fact, JW used some of the £17m received for Santa Cruz to compensate the Paul Ince disaster - the same Paul Ince that JW wanted to extend his stay of execution - until he was overruled. If he had picked the right man from the start, that money could have been invested back into the squad. Instead we had to waste it paying off Ince and his cronies.

We call the manager and the players out when they screw up, so why is John Williams above reproach? He seems like a true gent and has the best interests of the club at heart, but I'll continue to call it as I see it.

I think that those are fair questions. However, I'm a firm believer that without John Williams we would have vanished from the Premiership a long time ago. I'm sure that there have been mistakes made on his part, but the good that he has done for our club far outweighs these. He would love to see Rovers competing with the teams around us in the transfer market and making a mark on the Premiership. No doubt he's gone a thousand times to the trustees begging for money, only to be rejected. It must be soul destroying. There have been a few things that have irritated me, with players being sold and not being clear about transfer funds, but I wouldn't want anyone else doing the job. He is Blackburn through and through and unlike a lot of owners and chairmen going around, he does have the clubs very best interests at heart.

Archived