BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Will You Be Backing Non League Day?

FSF

A campaign that started in a small way on Facebook, the brainchild of QPR and Harrow Borough fan James Doe, has really gathered momentum, and we at the FSF are more than happy to lend our backing to a worthy cause. We’ve even managed to get the support of Conference sponsors Blue Square Bet who were keen to get involved, but right now you’re probably asking ‘What’s Non League Day?’

In short, the Premier League and Championship, like all top divisions across Europe, schedule fixture breaks for international weekends. This previously meant that fans of teams in those leagues could attend their national team’s matches (or watch them on the telly) and not miss any of the action at their club. Now that England will be playing some of their matches (like this week's game against Bulgaria) on Friday evenings, however, most fans have nothing to do the following day. There’s no match to go to, and no England game to watch. The idea was conceived, therefore, to encourage fans whose teams were not playing on Saturday September 4th to get along to their local lower division side instead, and thus the idea of Non League Day was born. Pretty simple, really.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/non-league-day

We think that given the current financial climate within the game, clubs in the lower reaches can do with all the support they can get. Teams away from the top divisions, particularly further down the pyramid, way past the Conference North and South, often only continue to exist because of hard-working volunteers giving up their own time and energy. We have to stress that the idea behind this isn’t trying to get fans to change their allegiance, somehow convince them that non-league football is purer or more worthy of their support than the upper reaches of the league, and nor is it any sort of protest at ‘modern football. It’s just a great opportunity to promote grass roots football to the masses, and remind people that there are small clubs in their neck of the woods that could really do with some support.

With tickets and refreshments at a fraction of the cost you’re used to paying, as well as the ability to watch a match while standing, and even the opportunity to swap ends at half time, why not ‘adopt’ a team for the day? Who knows, you may even enjoy yourself and return from time to time on international breaks, midweek cup fixtures or when you’re not making a long away trip.

Blue Square Bet have offered to sweeten the deal with a couple of cracking prizes on offer.

Get along to www.fsf.org.uk/non-league-day/ to register your support for Non League Day (including the club you support, and who you’ll be supporting on the 4th September) and be automatically entered into a free draw to win a VIP package for two to the Conference play-off final in May (including pre-match meal, drinks and the best seats in the house), along with £50 worth of free bets.

Two runners-up will also receive a pair of tickets to the final each, and £25 of free bets.

You can’t say fairer than that.

Get along to www.nonleagueday.co.uk to find your local fixture this weekend - with more than 500 matches there's bound to be one near you.

I love non-league football. It's possible to have a lot more fun at a game if you have a non-league team aswell as it's not so serious or important.

I grew up watching Stafford Rangers and I still try and see a few games a season but it tends to be more away games if they are up this neck of the woods.

Got two later on in the year in Harrogate and Guiseley away in the BSN.

Won't be going this weekend as I'm off to Bingley Festival, but I think it's definitely a good idea to try and get people involved in their local non-league club :)

Went to watch Luton a couple of weeks ago away at Fleetwood. Possibly attending their games at either Southport or Barrow too depending on whether Rovers are at home.

http://www.bacupboroughfc.co.uk/index.htm

Not watching Bacup Borough Ben? :o:P

They have a cup game on saturday so i think i will go along with the kids! :tu:

http://www.bacupboroughfc.co.uk/index.htm

Not watching Bacup Borough Ben? :o:P

They have a cup game on saturday so i think i will go along with the kids! :tu:

Have been meaning to check out Bacup, am busy this Saturday unfortunately though :(

Should have explained the Luton thing better - it's my girlfriends team and her brother comes up to visit when they play up north so I tagged along. Quite enjoyed it.

Whereabouts in Bacup are you anyhow? (not that its very big :lol: )

Have been meaning to check out Bacup, am busy this Saturday unfortunately though :(

Should have explained the Luton thing better - it's my girlfriends team and her brother comes up to visit when they play up north so I tagged along. Quite enjoyed it.

Whereabouts in Bacup are you anyhow? (not that its very big :lol: )

Ah i see..

I live on the notorious "Pennine Road" :lol:

That's a very blinkered approach Hughesy. Have you read the opening post?

We have been popping down to Chorley, a couple of times so far, and would have gone Saturday but they don't have a game this weekend.

That's a very blinkered approach Hughesy. Have you read the opening post?

We have been popping down to Chorley, a couple of times so far, and would have gone Saturday but they don't have a game this weekend.

Yes, we too pop over to watch Chorley when Rovers aren't playing and, when I lived in Brighton, used to watch Bedford Town regularly with a mate who is fanatical about them.

Always enjoy non league football - particularly the opportunity to stand and have a pint during the match!

I only support Blackburn Rovers...So no I will not be supporting Non League day! :brfc:

Sorry Hughesy, I think that attitude is wrong. The aim of the day is not to change a person allegiance to a particular club. But to put it another way, a charitable way of helping a lower league club out.

I always find it a bit bizarre when people respond to these threads and the ones about helping other clubs out with comments like, I only support Blackburn Rovers i don't care about anyone else etc. I liken it to the many Man U fans I work with who don't realise football exists outside the Premier League. I guess we're all different but surely part of being a Rovers fan is being a football fan in general? With that in mind do people not take a passing interest in other clubs and their fortunes?

That to me is what being a fan is all about, chatting to fans of others clubs etc. I think it's a great idea and if I didn't already have plans i'd have definitely done it. I really enjoy the trips to non league grounds, thought Fleetwood was a really good ground and decent day out.

If anyone is looking for a match to go to on Saturday may I recommend Clitheroe at home to Skelmersdale. Classic non-league pitch with a slope that puts one corner 3ft higher than the others. Clitheroe usually get a few players that were on the Rovers books at some point. I saw Joel Byrom score a 25 yard overhead screamer there a few years back. :rover:

Sorry Hughesy, I think that attitude is wrong. The aim of the day is not to change a person allegiance to a particular club. But to put it another way, a charitable way of helping a lower league club out.

Luck after number 1 - crush your opponents! :lol:

If you have a spare £10 to waste, then get to the club shop and waste it there :lol:

Just kidding guys - I sometimes go and watch Darwen, not started too badly!

i'm not sure whether you're being sarcastic there or not :lol: I've spoken to a few people from there, through work (Green Vale). I thought Cutler was the notorious one! ;)

No sarcasm intended! Pennine Road has quite a bad(yet unwarranted!) reputation that stems from when the punks barricaded the road and fought with the police in the early 80`s! :wacko: Unfortunately it has never properly recovered which is a shame as it is very quiet here these days.

(I STILL get a look of unease when people ask me whereabouts in Bacup i live :lol: )

Archived