BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester City V Rovers Preview

Stuart

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a player can stay on his feet as the contact was minimal then surely if he goes down its a dive....or if not the ref got it right and decided it wasnt a penalty as he went down too easily....Whichever I dont think it was a penalty, MGP often goes down like that and wins nothing :P

If a player can stay on his feet as the contact was minimal then surely if he goes down its a dive....or if not the ref got it right and decided it wasnt a penalty as he went down too easily....Whichever I dont think it was a penalty, MGP often goes down like that and wins nothing :P

As far as I'm concerned and have actually seen, there WAS contact. The contact was, by the letter of the law, not legal therefore a foul. Whether the player goes down or not is irrelevant. The issue being debated here is whether it was a dive. I can't honestly say it was a dive as I don't know HOW much contact there was. It didn't look like much.

A foul in the penalty area, even if the player does not go down, is a foul and therefore a penalty. The fact Johnson seemed to go down rather easily probably caused enough doubt about the legitimacy of the penalty claim to make the ref's mind up. In the end, he didn't give it so it wasn't a penalty.

It's the age old excuse.

Mourinho had his 'park the bus' analogy.

Mancini said the same about the Sunderland game, well the Mackems couldn't do any more than WIN the match!

I'm just delighted that the Rovers of old is returning away from home.

Teams come to Ewood and look to defend. Sheff Utd instantly spring to mind as being a side that did this regularly and well.

Did I walk away from Ewood criticising them for not playing an open, expensive game? No, I'd lament the fact that we were unable to break them down. I give teams credit for defnding well, not whinge about it. (Oh, I might whinge about them being dirty gits though - bloody Keith Curle!)

Mancini's comments are all to save face and hope that it keeps the sword of damacles from dropping for an extra day.

As far as I'm concerned and have actually seen, there WAS contact. The contact was, by the letter of the law, not legal therefore a foul. Whether the player goes down or not is irrelevant. The issue being debated here is whether it was a dive. I can't honestly say it was a dive as I don't know HOW much contact there was. It didn't look like much.

A foul in the penalty area, even if the player does not go down, is a foul and therefore a penalty. The fact Johnson seemed to go down rather easily probably caused enough doubt about the legitimacy of the penalty claim to make the ref's mind up. In the end, he didn't give it so it wasn't a penalty.

If that was a penalty and you had to give them all games would end up 6-5. Pushes in the area are 10 a penny.

If that was a penalty and you had to give them all games would end up 6-5. Pushes in the area are 10 a penny.

It was the combination trip and push. I'm not going to debate this endlessly (there's too much of that) but by the letter of the law, it was a pen. It could have gone either way with a sensible ref (more spirit than letter) and in this case we got away with it.

Archived