BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Vs Fulham

cn174

Rovers vs Fulham. Not the game that neutral (or even Rovers fans!) would immediately pick out as one to watch, but has thrown up some decent games over the last few years.

The Not-So Distant Past

Rovers and Fulham were both promoted back in 2000/2001. That season Fulham beat us twice and won the league by 10 points. Since being in the Premiership both Rovers and Fulham have had a bit of a rollercoaster ride with European adventures, Cup finals and scrapes with relegation.

Rovers' and Fulham's Premier League Record

roversfulham.jpg

Notable events:

2002/03 – Rovers walloped Fulham away with Hakan Sukur (remember him!) scoring his two only Rovers goals.

2003/04 – Rovers were fighting against relegation when they faced Fulham away from home. In what turned out to be nearly my worst, but then my favourite away game ever, Rovers beat Fulham 4-3 at Loftus Road. Highlights from the best ever fanzone:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=11442775

2005/06 – Two amazing goals from Pedersen then Tugay saw off Fulham at home.

(good quality thanks to Topman)

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tugaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

2008/09 – In a similar setting to the 03/04 season, Rovers really needed to get a win against Fulham to fend off relegation. The original game was called off at late notice :@ due to them not having undersoil heating, so the re-arranged game was much further along in the season making the victory much more important. At half time things were looking grim, but goals from El Hadji and a last minute winner from prolific striker Jason Roberts saw Rovers climb out of the relegation zone.

th_FulBla08091.jpg?videoplayer=offsite?videoplayer=offsite

2009/2010 - Despite the snow in the previous weeks the Rovers vs Fulham game went ahead. Rovers won 2-0 with both central defenders Nelsen and Samba getting on the score sheet.
1263749502_spt_ai_blackburn_fulham_42.jpg
Just for RIML^^
It wasn't a spectacular game by any means but it did lead me to possibly the most pointless youtube video ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8uJgPKuGK4

The Present
Our old mate Mark Hughes is now in charge at Fulham. I get the feeling that he probably wishes he’d waited a week to make his decision when he would’ve had the choice to go to Villa as well, but such is life. Many of us would still like Hughes to be in charge at Rovers, but it is slightly amusing that following his departure for greater things, he has ended back at pretty much the same level.

Both teams have got off to a reasonable start. Rovers had a tricky set of fixtures and have gained 4 points including a very well-fought draw at Man City yesterday. Fulham have 6 points with 3 draws and a win. However they have been dealt a big blow yesterday with the news that Bobby Z will be out for four months with a broken leg.

Q&A
Our resident Fulham fan 'ffan' agreed to do a Q&A....

Last season was pretty amazing for you lot, how was the UEFA Cup run?
At first, when we were in the qualifying stages to get to the group stage, all I was hoping for was that our players didn't get injured. But after we progressed into the group stages, I just began to really enjoy it as the chances of Fulham qualifying for Europe again are pretty slim. The home games at the Cottage were amazing, just immense, whilst the away games were a good bit of craic. However the highlight for me was beating Juventus at the Cottage, was the stuff of dreams.

And how long will it take your bank account to recover?!
Haha! Lets just the kids college fund took abit of a hit.

What did you think about Hodgson leaving for Liverpool?
I had rather naively tricked myself into thinking that Roy and Fulham were a perfect fit. I had total faith that Roy would stay, my thinking is why would he leave to Liverpool where they have mountains of debt and problems? So I was gutted when he left, but I've moved on. Roy could have become a Fulham legend but the way he left and his attitude towards Fulham since leaving for Liverpool has left a sour taste in the mouth.

And what are your thoughts on the new boss?
At first I was just glad that we finally got a manager! We had gone nearly 4 weeks without appointing someone and I was worried that we would start the season with Ray Lewington as manager. He's made an excellent impression so far, he has instilled a never say die attitude which has gone down well and his signing of Dembele has been a masterstroke. We are playing far more exciting, attacking football than we did under Hodgson and even though that leaves us open at the back it is proving to be a nice change to the defensive attitude that Hodgson had. Perhaps one black mark against him would be his failure to sign a forward as back up to Zamora, Roque Santa Cruz for instance.

How is the season looking so far?
If we hadn't won yesterday against Wolves it would have been looking bleak, especially with Zamora breaking his leg. However we are unbeaten at home and away so we don't really have too much to complain about. Zamoras injury has put us in the deep end as we have no replacement, so I think if we get to the January transfer window with us being around mid table then we can have no complaints.

How do you think you'll do this season?
Again, Zamoras injury has kind of fecked us but I think we will be around mid table and have a decent cup run come the end of the season.

How do you think Rovers will do this season?
I have a feeling that ye have an excellent chance of finishing in the top half. Rovers have a very strong spine to their team, Robinson, Samba, Nzonzi and Kalinic. It has been well documented that we do lack a creative center mid as well as another striker, however ye have such a solid base that I think ye'll be fine. That Phil Jones is a top talent too. I just hope any takeover doesn't have an adverse effect on Rovers season.

Onto the game....
Which players should we look out for?
Etuhu who has been given the license to bomb forward under Hughes and Dembele who is phenomenal and won't be at Fulham for very long.

What weaknesses should we be looking to exploit?
Look to put Murphy under tremendous pressure and you will reap the rewards. John Pantsil has been atrocious so far this season but I am pretty sure Hughes will take him out of the firing line for next weeks game. Also look to put Schwazer under pressure, see if he still willing to perform to the best of his ability for Fulham, remember it is well documented that he is very unhappy that his move to Arsenal didn't materialize.

What formation/players can we expect to see?
442 from us with Etuhu bursting into the box from deep and Dembele being our play maker along with Murphy.

Any of our players you are scared of?
Cherno Samba! Kalinic is a very big threat but I am confident that Hughes and Hangeland will take care of him.

Score prediction?
1-1.

Prediction
My score prediction is 3-0 to Rovers. Kalinic to score his first without the help of a goalkeeping howler, M. Diouf and Pedersen.

Anyway if you haven’t already got your ticket, get down to Ewood and get one…it’s only a tenner! :rover:

Quality preview as always Clare!

Hoping to get back to winning ways for this one. No doubt Hughes can expect a toasty welcome.

Shame about Zamora, stand-in strikers always have a point to prove. And we'll need to keep Dembele quiet.

2-0 Rovers with cheeky refrains of those classics: "You're Getting Sacked in the Morning" and "You're Supposed to Be in Brum".

This isnt personal but I hope we puit mark Hughes firmly in his place.

A man who grafted at Ewood, did the business big time and then dismissed us without a second thought when the money men came a calling. from humble Rovers to the massive club that is manchester city in one foul swoop and the man changed overnight, a man who had nothing who then found himself with too much and he paid the price.

The Rovers owe Mark Hughes one and on Saturday Sam and co can do the business and lay the spectre of hughes to rest.

Rovers 2-0

Oh how the mighty have fallen

A man who grafted at Ewood, did the business big time and then dismissed us without a second thought when the money men came a calling. from humble Rovers to the massive club that is manchester city in one foul swoop and the man changed overnight, a man who had nothing who then found himself with too much and he paid the price.

The Rovers owe Mark Hughes one and on Saturday Sam and co can do the business and lay the spectre of hughes to rest.

Rovers 2-0

I have no grudge against Mark Hughes. He did start to lose some self-respect when he sold out to Man. City, but I don't blame him for taking the chance, even if it did backfire on him. I admire him for the work he did here, and our books would tell a different story if it wasn't for his magic in the transfer market. We've made an absolute mint on the quality he brought here, and yet the guy couldn't even loosen the purse strings to sign targets like Lassana Diarra (who joined Real for £20m) and Huddlestone (England hopeful). No wonder he wanted to further his career elsewhere.

Hughes certainly doesn't deserve booing. I will have a word with anyone around me that tries it. He is however due one up th' arris.

No definitely not. I think he was professional in the way he left, giving us plenty of time to find a replacement. He didn't leave us in the middle of a season or a few days before the start of a season like Martin O'Neill did at Villa and of course he signed Ryan Nelsen ;)

Rovers 2-0

exactly. Can't really see who some are so willing to overlook his poor decision.

Rovers 2-0

I feel the same. What annoys me about it to this day is how at the time he was talking about how none of our best players were going to be sold no matter how much money was offered and then all of a sudden he's on his back to Manchester.

After a great performance at the weekend and Fulham missing Zamora, I feel like we can win this one. I'm going for a 3-1 win.

In all of the matches that we have played in so far we have performed well.I think we will win 2 nil and will be dissapointed if we dont. I am anticipating another year where we will do well at home and beat all the teams where we stand a good chance of winning

Archived