BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other PL happenings 2010-2011

Tom

• Backroom

I hope the guy does give all the money to the team and not pocket it himself.

Also pardon my ignorance but will it not wilt and die?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Hughes to villa and Martin Jol or Lee Clark or Carlo Ancelotti to Fulham

or

David Moyes to Villa and Martin O'Neill or Steve McClaren to Everton

Tho I wouldn't be surprise if Martin O'Neill took over at Nottingham Forest because there is alot rumours that Billy Davies is being sacked

Unlike most Villa fans, I have a lot of time for Houllier. It's a shame for him that he has to go in these circumstances, he got ill and wasn't able to finish what he started. It's been a rough year but people have to recognise the villain of the piece in in my personal opinion intentionally left when he did (O'Neill), I never believed he was going to lead us into that season the rumblings had come in long before he finally did a bunk (I even pm'd Nicko to confirm if what I thought was true before it hit Sky and he told me it was), he left in a manner where it was impossible to stabalise things in time, Ged came in after the window had closed.

Houllier encountered a squad of arseholes who had been used to MON's lax training methods and complacent discipline, he came in and got straight into the tasks of getting rid of bad habits, introducing a better fitness regime (i am sure you've all seen what had been happening to Villa post feb/march), he made a lot of enemies in the fanbase and the squad with some awful PR and some strict discipline but he brought a much better style of football to the team and I really do think he'd have done well next season, but we won't get to see that.

He didn't actually have to leave, he wanted to return, Gmac had suggested he'd return and thats what the players thought as well, but despite his absolute wish to come back as manager he accepted the concerns of the board in view of his long term position and he settled it amicably and stepped down, with kind words about the club, board, and fans. I have a lot more respect for him.

It's a tough job for anyone to take, my fellow fans are a largely miserable demanding bunch mixed with a core of brilliant supporters, but whoever comes in knows the challenge of trying to get us nearer to the top teams, with the handicap of your Ashley Youngs and Stewart Downings leaving after a good season or two, and I am sure someone will be willing to take that on.

Personally I hope it will be Moyes, Hughes, or Ancelotti as an outside bet, but Moyes is the man I want, but whoever it is i'll get behind same as I did with Houllier.

Another season of unrest awaits though!

Steve McLaren to Villa or Benitez I reckon.

Both hugely unpopular figures at Villa.

I don't know how much other fans pick up on things like this but Benitez and Redknapp in particular are despised by Villa fans, Redknapp for his bad mouthing as Pompey boss and sticking his fingers up at our fans when they made it 2-0 at Villa.

Benitez, well, that's obvious. He tapped up Gareth Barry.

Neither welcome out of McLaren or Benitez.

Though....would bookies offer odds on McLaren conducting an interview in brummie? :D

I like Mark Hughes but from what I have heard, the Taffia ( and there seems to be several of them at Motspur Park) may have been looking for improved deals next year.

Can't see Mo measuring up to Man City type expectations so perhaps they are playing hardball with each other.

Other rumours are that Mo knows Martin Oneil who lives to the West of London - certainly been seen at the Cottage a few times

- With him, Ancelloti, Mclaren and Jol out of work perhaps Mo feels that our coaching staff needs the brakes applied.

Wasn't Hughes in the frame last time before Houllier was appointed?

I think Kevin MacDonald at that stage was under serious consideration, by the time the board realised what the fans already knew that Kmac was a fantastic coach but NOT management material for a premier league club the Hughes ship had sailed.

I regret that, as Hughes and Moyes were my choices last time around! We missed the boat. Him and Moyes have always been on Lerners radar, Moyes rejected our approach last time and Hughes had just taken a club. I don't actually know where Houllier came from! We interviewed him, Curbs, and Sven. Easy to see how we didn't want the other pair.

Moyes would be a good choice for Rovers, and as he only lives on the north side of Preston if Venky's offered him a generous package with some sustained, yet conservative investment, I bet he'd plump for Blackburn due to the close proximity from his home.

Stephen Kean working under Moyes would go down very well in my book and would go along way to raising Keans credibility at the club with the probability of him taking over from Moyes one day .

The club last time only tried for Moyes in contract and it was tentative as he sent us packing straight away. Other than that it was people out of a job.

From everything i've heard we will headhunt someone in a job if necessary this time. I think it's widely know Moyes is the man Lerner wants, it depends on whether he wants to take the step.

It's a sideways step for now, but Moyes would get more backing than he has ever had there, and it's a chance for him to try to realise his ambitions, but it's a massive step for someone at a club so long to move so it's always going to be 50/50 on whether we can get him to the club. I would love Moyes as manager.

With Hughes, I think it would be a job right up his alley.

Rafa I think would take it as he's gagging for a job in England.

Ancelotti is the wildcard, a massive name, would he take it? I have no idea? Would it work? I have even less idea.

Moyes would be a good choice for Rovers, and as he only lives on the north side of Preston if Venky's offered him a generous package with some sustained, yet conservative investment, I bet he'd plump for Blackburn due to the close proximity from his home.

Stephen Kean working under Moyes would go down very well in my book and would go along way to raising Keans credibility at the club with the probability of him taking over from Moyes one day .

:lol:

1. Moyes wouldn't come.

2. You are clutching at straws if now you want to delay Kean getting to the hotseat long term rather than sacking him outright. He's manager. Just accept it and move on ffs. Since when have a club ever lined up two future managers in a row? Do you honestly think that if Moyes took over, the probability would be that Kean took over afterwards?

Moyes is a decent manager, but I think he's a loyal kind of guy, and also he's very settled in the North-west along with his family (I know his son and father are still season-ticket holders at PNE! - poor sods).

I think unless Lerner was to make a lot of money available, Moyes would see it as a sideways step anyway. He gets to spend a fair amount of money at Everton but seems to get away without the press noticing. I think its because Lerner refused to plough more and more money in, that MON left in the first place.

I think Hughes would be the better move for Villa, he's worked well under a budget at both Rovers and Fulham, and was doing well at City until they fired him too.

And now a million!!!

Thats great news! I managed to procure a few dozen of those penalty spots and I'm willing to listen to offers for em all. ;)

• Backroom

Modric could end up at United this summer I think.

Rovers and half the league should be looking at Krancjar.

He's just turned 40 and is 6 months younger than Van Der Sar.

But I've never seen a goalkeeper as dedicated to fitness as Friedal.

Could well be his last season and a chance to go out on a high.

Probably says more about the state of Villa than Brad.

Brad's body might well handle a couple more seasons. But I did say "could be" his last season. At the end if the day money is talking here. Not calling Brad a mercenary by any stretch when I say that but he'll be financially better off with a two-year deal (if indeed he has been offered that without an 'option' clause).

I do think Villa look to be in trouble at the minute though. They need a steady hand but have turned up their noses at Hughes (apparently). It'll be an interesting few weeks for them.

Archived