BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football Hooligans

Iceman

[quote name='alexanders' date='14 September 2010 - 13:09 PM' timestamp='1284466144' post='955168'

In the 70's and 80's there were more poor people, higher unemployment and a rising displeasure against the society which sadly very often is connected with growing immigration and the perception of "them stealing our jobs".

So nothing has changed then...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm from Norway which is a very rich country and therefore I might not be able to perceive this correctly.

Things have changed, but seen in the light of the financial crisis and the ongoing stagnation in the economy these elements might reoccur or grow. The economical problems in Europe has a negative effect on english export which leads to lesser jobs. Lesser jobs means lesser financial strength among consumers which again results in lesser jobs. Its an evil circle and we are facing a really difficult task.

The difference being the globalization and cooperation between most countries in the world where we are working together rather against each other like the 70's and 80's.

I was in the enclosure.

There was only a few Chelsea fans that climbed the fence into the BBE from there and they were unexpected as they were in their forties.

Most entered through the turnstiles.

I can't recall any coming down from the stand that game. I know my memories not the best and seasons get blurred into one another but wasn't the John Lewis complex there?

the BBE chanted " why you hiding in the stands?" and they then piled out of it and thru the open gates if my memory is correct.

the BBE chanted " why you hiding in the stands?" and they then piled out of it and thru the open gates if my memory is correct.

Was that not a different season?

My memory is that the photo is of an incident that was before or just after kick off and the one I described.

Was that not a different season?

My memory is that the photo is of an incident that was before or just after kick off and the one I described.

I was there. Ozzie is correct - that photo was taken at the end of the Chelsea game when the exit gates had been opened, allowing Chelsea fans from the Nuttall Street Stand to enter the Balckburn End (a novel tactic at the time).

I was stood in the enclosure with my dad, that's how young I was.

I don't think the John Lewis complex was there then, but that only came up to where the bend was in the stand anyway.

You're right most did come through the turnstiles, but some did come from the stand - my bizarre memory is of some of them wearing the current fashion craze deely-boppers with swastikas on the end of the springs!

I also remember them singing a song about "Spurs are on their way to Auschwitz, Hitlers gonna gas 'em again"

As a little kid it made an impact on me - some of the memories might be blurred but some small details are crystal clear.

And your right about the age of them, which makes me think that these must be the real 'hard core' not just kids doing it on a whim.

It was obviously an orchestrated 'revenge' attack - just glad those days are gone now.

What a complete and utter load of tosh you're talking there.

If you say so, I'm not gonna bicker over this on here. You're wrong, simple as.

I seem to remember the Forest lad was hit by a pint glass thrown by a Dingle (young lad from Haslingden IIRC). The lad who died was there for the ruck though, he was in the middle of a mob of Forest fans whan he was hit.

Not that he deserved to die mind you.

Correct, read this John. Amazing some people believe everything on Wiki as 100% truth :lol:

I'm on that picture of that picture of the fighting at the end of the Chelsea game. I remember the end of the Nuttall St stand emtying of Chelsea fans and thinking 'Ha! They're going home'. Wrong!

I'd have been about 15 at the time, and had decided the best plan was to run away and jump into the Riverside, and that's what I'm doing in the picture.

I'm 43 now and would probably do the same today.

Rovers firm was/is the Blackburn Youth.

Never big trouble makers but could look after themselves.

Was also a smaller mob from around the hospital area called themselves the ICU - Intensive Care Unit.

The Youth also had a presence at New Order gigs - They 'represented' Blackburn there as well...

I remember a game when the Rovers lot 'took' Chelsea in the Darwen End. It was weird to watch - about 15 minutes before the end of the game the Blackburn End started emptying. The club used to open the gates 15 minutes before the end so people could slope off - the Rovers hooligans took advantage of this to get in the Darwen End & launched a surprise attack on the Chelsea mob.

A bit underhand maybe but this was only applying Chelseas own style of 'warfare' against them. Don't feel any sorrow for Chelsea before their current glamour image they were one of the very worst behaved set of idiots - their own chairman Ken Bates proposed electrified fences to stop the hooligans from scaling them!

The following season Chelsea brought bigger, more violent, numbers up and they all sat in the Blackburn End end of the old Nuttall Street stand.

The Chelsea mob then poured out of the front of the stand and ran the Blackburn End - people were trying to climb over the fence that separated the Blackburn End from The Riverside to escape!

I also recall that in the late 80's we had to play an opening day game at Chelsea behind closed doors as they had rioted during their final game of the preceding season - think we won & Howard Gayle scored but other than that my memory fades!!

Like I said the Rovers mob were handy, but I think really we were just 'playing at it' compared to some of the city clubs.

Good post and very accurate.You have brought back some memories there,early 80's....very strange to see the away section(Darwen end side) of the Nuttall st stand completely empty of about 100-200 Chelsea.I was only about 12 at the time and couldn't understand why some older lads were getting VERY nervous and slowly making their way to the Riverside end of the BBE! :unsure:

I think a few Rovers stood their ground but Chelsea got there own back that day and some.

I was there. Ozzie is correct - that photo was taken at the end of the Chelsea game when the exit gates had been opened, allowing Chelsea fans from the Nuttall Street Stand to enter the Balckburn End (a novel tactic at the time).

That was the following season to the one with the pre match trouble I recalled earlier. I missed out on a thumping, I was in the middle of the Riverside that match.

I remember Bolton fans coming round from the DE before the end of a match and trying to get in the BBE, they didn't but I'm sure that was the seventies.

Thankfully 99% of this stuff is history.

Even in those days Rovers fans had a far bigger reputation for good behaviour than bad.

Over 5000 of us travelled to the away game at Chesterfield in 1980 and at the following home game a letter from the Chesterfield Chief Superintendent of Police saying what a pleasure it was having us in the town.

Wow, very good read this, especially reading about how things were back then. In the 80's, did the Rovers fans stand back, or were they prepared to give back? Im reading Philips post, and looking at the club now, seems like we have a decent record in terms of crowd behaviour. Is this about right?

That was the following season to the one with the pre match trouble I recalled earlier. I missed out on a thumping, I was in the middle of the Riverside that match.

I remember Bolton fans coming round from the DE before the end of a match and trying to get in the BBE, they didn't but I'm sure that was the seventies.

I remember that day well at home v Bolton....they were repelled when the BBE streamed out.

The police just picked up whoever was nearest which were mainly fans leaving the ground peacefully near to the end of the game, it was easier for them to do this than try and arrest the nutters who just carried on rucking all the way to Blacburn Rail Station.

I went to the Chelsea game which all the away fans were banned from. Got the Harrods ticketing department to get the seat for me. :rover:

When Howard Gayle bagged the winner, he sprinted to the empty away terracing (in those days it was a semi-circle a long way from the goal) to celebrate. Some stewards spotted me and I simply sat in my seat behind the directors' seats smiling broadly from ear to ear and they did nothing.

If you say so, I'm not gonna bicker over this on here. You're wrong, simple as.

Hi Dave,

maybe I should PM this but thought I'd put it out in the open.

I'll amend my initial statement, I said originally that the Forest fan was alone when he was killed, but if you say he was with a group of other Forest fans then I'm more than happy to accept that.

I think my point is still valid though that one person was killed by another person whilst in the main town centre shopping precinct.

I'm not wrong and it's not tosh.

I think it came to the forefront when Man utd got relegated and the divsion two grounds became swamnped with away fans..I remenber Man U at Cardiff(poss first away after relegation?) hitting the headlines..Also the same when Chelsea were simliar..Use to watch Rovers away with Ribblesdale coaches)lucky if you got to the groung without breaking down) in early 70s..Not that much trouble to be honest..Just the odd brick throwing kid...Only trouble ast Ewood was when top of the league teams like Leicester came and fans met each other when we changed ends at Half time

Archived