BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football Hooligans

Iceman

The ringleader from burnley didn’t even make it to the pub, he got 5yrs?! Ok he has numerous convictions for hooliganism, but on this occasion he wasn’t there, how can they give him 5yrs?

It's the taxi driver who took him to the wrong destination who should get the 5yrs :lol:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you're saying GAV but usually we would argue that the sentence isn't long enough, in this case it seems too long but I'd rather see people getting tougher sentences no matter how much more it costs. They'll probably only do half their sentence inside and the other half on tag anyway.

The ringleader from burnley didn’t even make it to the pub, he got 5yrs?! Ok he has numerous convictions for hooliganism, but on this occasion he wasn’t there, how can they give him 5yrs?

Previous convictions are a huge factor in the length of the sentence.

Re - Not being there - conspiracy to commit a crime is tantamount to the crime itself.

When I read of a 44year old man being involved in childish things such as fighting and suicide squads, he should be certified 'sine die' he is not normal and totally brainless!

As for the others, including a Burnley lad who played football for one of my teams a few years ago, they should have more bloody sense, christ they are not 16 17 year old kids, they are in their 20s, young adults with a life ahead of them, harshy? no, there has to be deterrents, let people know if you want to play the big boys by fighting at football matches or anywhere else, lock them up.

I have an aquiantence, not from this area, went out one night and was attacked by a lad, he only hit him back once and flattened him, unfortunately the lad banged his head on falling and an innocent was held for manslaughter, thats why they should be locked up, innocents get involved and then they get arrested.

I’ve e not posted any links, but sentences have been handed out to both Blackburn and Burnley lads for the trouble at the station pub after the derby game at our place.

The burnley lads have been given 32yrs between them for the incident and the Blackburn lads have got between 6 months and 2yrs for there part.

Now many of us on this site will have heard accounts of the night in question, the police certainly knew what was happening, and they did managed to keep the 2 sets of lads apart.

The majority pleaded guilty to affray so for the life of me I cannot get my head around the severity of the sentences, not one punch was thrown between the rival groups?

I’m all for deterring such things, and this certainly is a deterrent for wanabe hooligans, but yet again I can’t help but think someone has a hidden agenda here, is someone trying to justify funding because these sentences do not fit the crimes.

He wad given 5 years because he was the organiser and was convicted after trial rather than plead guilty

The sentences compared to other 'crimes' are very harsh IMO. As Gav says, it seems to me this is to justify overtime, previous funding and future funding.

The sentences given are nothing to do with the police, they have no influence on the judge. He sentences according to the law set down before hom, not what people think he should give

• Backroom

I know of one guy who got 10 months I think and they told his wife he will probably only do 90 days.

I think the sentances for the Burnley lads should be harsh, getting caught in a ruck is one thing, prearranging it and travelling over is another.

little bit convenient if you ask me that the 'head' of the group manages to get lost in his taxi and arrive at the train station instead of the pub.

Couldn't agree more, proper dodge, even considering they were dingles and could not work sat nav, for them to be the only guys that "Got lost"

Come on????

There chanting alone should mean a prison sentence FFS, how old were they, 12?

The sentences given are nothing to do with the police, they have no influence on the judge.

But the evidence put forward by the police has everything to do with the sentences. I know one of the lads jailed and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, wasn’t there as part of a group, but got jailed, no previous either. If you talk to anyone who was there that night the evidence of bottle throwing and pint glass throwing was allegedly over egged somewhat also.

Something’s not right with that, but then again I wasn’t there, but very easily could have been.

I just found it very interesting, and it seemed like these guys were not at all bothered about police, or getting into trouble.

Iceman, only just seen this thread. If you want to read an excellent book on football hooliganism in the 80s, read 'Amomg the Thugs' by Bill Buford. Superb account by an American Journalist who was so shocked by football hooliganism in this country, he spent time with numerous firms to try and understand it. Fantastic piece of writing.

I can understand your argument about the sentences GAV and even though I have NO clue at all about sentences, banning orders etc in England being a Norwegian I have to say that the guys should really grow up. Being in the mid 20's to 30s walking around looking for trouble is childish and shouldnt be accepted by the community.

The fact the ringleader is the guy who it is doesnt surprise me. Only seen him from Football Hooligans by Tommy Dyer, but he seemed a little bit like a loose canon who inspired his son and his friends to become thugs.

Lock them away - They are destroying the game I love !

• Moderation Lead

Though the sentences handed out are pretty harsh, the behaviour they engage in just can't be condoned. Organising to fight fans of a rival team- pathetic. Rovers fans should know better than stooping to the levels of the dingles!

Andrew Porter? Isn't that the same one who wrote a book about his hooligan exploits.

He made money off his previous exploits and set himself up as a minor local celebrity. He should have known better as all the police know who he is, and it is no surprise that the book was thrown at him.

Although, when you compare to some sentences received for far more heinous crimes, it does look out of whack somewhat.

But the evidence put forward by the police has everything to do with the sentences. I know one of the lads jailed and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time, wasn’t there as part of a group, but got jailed, no previous either. If you talk to anyone who was there that night the evidence of bottle throwing and pint glass throwing was allegedly over egged somewhat also.

I agree gav that the police put the evidence before the court, but ultimately the judge hands out the sentences, thats why the prosecutoon have the option to appeal the sentences if they think they ate unduly lenient

Something’s not right with that, but then again I wasn’t there, but very easily could have been.

Passages from porters book were used against him during his trial, it has done him no favours

"take me to THE STATION in Blackburn please mate " :wacko:

Comedy gold from a Burnley hooligan :lol:

As for Gav even more reason for the Rovers fans to chant.... 32 years, 32 years, 32 years!

What fun the Burnley crowd provide for us all.

Archived