BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football Hooligans

Iceman

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few things on this, it was a fact of life when you went to watch football in those days, I too was one of the one's that wanted to watch us win more than have a punch up, but if it kicked off you couldn't avoid it, especially if someone had launched a surprise attack on your end etc. It was mayhem and you got stuck in or you really got hurt.

I think we always had a decent following, and like any Northern town, if you wanted to find trouble, you would, I don't think we ever started so many, most of us just wanted to get drunk, sing and watch our team, BUT, if there was a fight, we would stand, and that made a huge difference, plus of course, most southerners couldn't fight LOL. And yes, I remember watching our fans "Take" ends as well as lose a few.

I think our reputation was and still is very positive, we're mostly well behaved, and you can see that when we go away, with the low police cover etc. which in this day and age, is good.

The surprise one's were the smaller clubs with the lunatic core, Halifax has been mentioned, Tranmere, now they had and still have some psycho's.

Put it this way, it was good training for HM Forces, a lot of the guys I joined up with had had a battle at Rovers and most admitted they had lost, agree with the comments about City and Leeds, fought like American's, just overwhelming numbers!

It's absolute idiocy - going to a football match and ending up fighting.

Heading down to watch a sport, a game and ending up in fist-fights with another person.

As somebody in my mid-20's, it's an asbolutely absurd prospect and regardless of however much it may have been 'accepted' 30 years ago, it's just an idea that borders on being funny, it's that stupid.

Thankfully it's very much a thing of the past, barring a minority of 'socially-challenged' people, who can find nothing more exciting or interesting to do with their lives.

Was a major problem in Sheffield, when I policed there a couple of years ago - there is still quite a large amount of idiots there, some of whom literally arrange to meet somewhere neutral with the sole reason of scrapping.

Used to leave them to it, as long as it was out of public view and restricted to the dumb lot who wanted to attend.

Pleased to see the jail sentences handed out to the Burnley fans, good news all around to keep these idiots behind bars.

I have no sympathy for the lot of them. It's pure idiotic behavior. I can't imagine someone saying to me; "Right, 12 of us are going to get in taxis, and go to Blackburn for a big fight". I'd think they were mental, or 9.

I somewhat like the idea of letting them go at it on wasteland but that will only encourage them and eventually it will bleed into populated areas.

The UK has changed massively since the 70's/early 80's. It's not the same place. We were really struggling. A report came out a while back saying that at some point during the Callaghan years we only had about 8 days of rockets available in the event of war. We were that skint. The fighting was a reflection of the larger battles society was having.

Curiously though I enjoy the stories the older lads on here are posting as it gives a first hand insight into what being a football fan entailed. I will always remember my first game at Ewood, around 1986, not for the result but all the fences and barbed wire everywhere.

I feel sorry for the blackburn lads and to a lesser extent the younger burnley lads jailed. Yes they deserve to be punished. Suspended prison sentences with community service, and lengthy football banning orders, would have been an adequate punishment and a suitable deterrant. Sending them to jail is overkill. Some of them had never been in trouble before. Their lives are now ruined and yet some sex offenders, paedophiles, drug dealers etc can get less sentences! Far worst incidents have taken place then what happened at the Station pub that day.

It's a sad irony that on the same page it was reported in yesterdays telegraph, there was an article about youths continually bursting into a Darwen church during live sermons and threatening the church goers - far more despicable in my opinion - will the police put as much effort into sorting that out as they do with football?! Not a chance.

I dont condone football related disorder and I reiterate that these lads needed to be punished. But I dont understand the overkill atttitude with football related disorder, when other disorder and crimes are treated with less disdain. If a similar incident had occurred between two stag do groups on a night out in Blackpool, it probably wouldn't have even got to Court.

I feel sorry for the blackburn lads and to a lesser extent the younger burnley lads jailed. Yes they deserve to be punished. Suspended prison sentences with community service, and lengthy football banning orders, would have been an adequate punishment and a suitable deterrant. Sending them to jail is overkill. Some of them had never been in trouble before. Their lives are now ruined and yet some sex offenders, paedophiles, drug dealers etc can get less sentences! Far worst incidents have taken place then what happened at the Station pub that day.

It's a sad irony that on the same page it was reported in yesterdays telegraph, there was an article about youths continually bursting into a Darwen church during live sermons and threatening the church goers - far more despicable in my opinion - will the police put as much effort into sorting that out as they do with football?! Not a chance.

I dont condone football related disorder and I reiterate that these lads needed to be punished. But I dont understand the overkill atttitude with football related disorder, when other disorder and crimes are treated with less disdain. If a similar incident had occurred between two stag do groups on a night out in Blackpool, it probably wouldn't have even got to Court.

My thoughts entirely.

A young lad was killed by a single punch in Bburn town centre last year and his killer got 4yrs. The lads at the station pub did some posturing, got moved on by the police, and one never even got there and he still got 5yrs for allegedly ordering the taxis, but that’s the chance you take going to trial I guess.

I cannot for the life of me get my head around what the judge must have been thinking, or the police have laid this on so thick that the judge was duped into thinking it was something it wasn’t.

Having had personal experience of the GMP, they’re capable of anything, told me as much, and I couldn’t do a thing about it because it was a football fans word against the police, “Only one winner there sonny” he told me.......

It's absolute idiocy - going to a football match and ending up fighting.

Heading down to watch a sport, a game and ending up in fist-fights with another person.

As somebody in my mid-20's, it's an asbolutely absurd prospect and regardless of however much it may have been 'accepted' 30 years ago, it's just an idea that borders on being funny, it's that stupid.

Thankfully it's very much a thing of the past, barring a minority of 'socially-challenged' people, who can find nothing more exciting or interesting to do with their lives.

Was a major problem in Sheffield, when I policed there a couple of years ago - there is still quite a large amount of idiots there, some of whom literally arrange to meet somewhere neutral with the sole reason of scrapping.

Used to leave them to it, as long as it was out of public view and restricted to the dumb lot who wanted to attend.

Pleased to see the jail sentences handed out to the Burnley fans, good news all around to keep these idiots behind bars.

I agree entirely, we have to stop this stupidity and only strong sentences will be a proper deterrent, this is not simply fighting, this is an organised attempt to create a brawl situation, planned and pre meditated, I dont hold the fact that the Police put their case too stongly, indeed, they did what they should do, that is to say we as a nation are not pepared to tolerate bahaviour of this nature, football related or not, they are thugs who deserve all they have got, yes their lives nmay be ruined but hey, neither I nor the many innocent people didnt ruin it for them, they ruined it themselves.

I dont hold the fact that the Police put their case too stongly, indeed, they did what they should do, that is to say we as a nation are not pepared to tolerate bahaviour of this nature, football related or not

I think the point being made is simply the police do not treat perceived football related incidents the same as non football related incidents and thats not right.

I think the point being made is simply the police do not treat perceived football related incidents the same as non football related incidents and thats not right.

I would agree if that is the case, hooligans, violence in whatever walk of life, should be severely punished to deter them from future conduct of that nature.

I feel sorry for the blackburn lads and to a lesser extent the younger burnley lads jailed. Yes they deserve to be punished. Suspended prison sentences with community service, and lengthy football banning orders, would have been an adequate punishment and a suitable deterrant. Sending them to jail is overkill.

Its that type of do gooder attitude thats shafted this country for years to come.

Generations of kids wearing their ASBO`s as a badge of honour while they are out doing their community service.

To think the only time I attend a game is always as a family outing and there are packs of morons who want to inflict harm on us because we are at a sporting event. Bang em up.

Regarding the Blackburn fans who went for a drink after the game to their local pub to be possibly challenged from a bunch of neanderthals from Burnley who've gone out of their way, is it really fair to sentence these good people.

Its plainly obvious who the instigators were here and the punishment meeted out reflects this, but to criminalise the locals from the Station Hotel pub is a little bit unfair.

This action could end up being you, me or anyone, if someone arranges a fight in the pub that you frequent, and you have absolutely no idea what is about to unfold, yet you get arrested and then subsequenty sentenced to prison must be a nightmare scenario. I ended up walking to the Golden Cup after the game and just couldnt believe the police presence and some of the people who were there.

I'm trying to get some more details on this case but the defendents from Blackburn were told or strongly advised to plead guilty in order to avoid a custodial sentence now look whats happened must be pretty devastating to some of these guys as their families must be stunned.

One of the young Blackburn men actually played football for Burnley FC youth team up to or about the age of 15 before he was realeased.

Blackburn lads were charged with a lesser offence thsn that of the burnley lot, which still however carries a prison sentence. They were advised to plead guilty because there was evidence against them. If they hsd ignored that, thry would no doubt hsve been found guilty by a jury and got longer semtences, which is what happened to the maj of the dingles who were too thick to take sensible advice from their barristers

Its that type of do gooder attitude thats shafted this country for years to come.

Generations of kids wearing their ASBO`s as a badge of honour while they are out doing their community service.

To think the only time I attend a game is always as a family outing and there are packs of morons who want to inflict harm on us because we are at a sporting event. Bang em up.

Most of the Blackburn lads had no previous convictions. I think most were in employment. A couple of them had wives and children. They were in a local pub. They were not convicted of a conspiracy, hence no evidence that they planned "to inflict harm" that day.

Picking up dogsh*t in public for the forseeable future, the threat of jail hanging over you for the next couple of years, loss of job, loss of income for the family, criminal record, and no football for a few years - hardly a badge of honour for people like this is it?

I stand by my opinion that jail is overkill, and that suspended sentences with community service would have sufficed.

I dont think that's a 'do gooder' attitude, just simple common sense.

The sentences make a mockery of our judicial system. Whilst not condoning this behaviour they would have got a lot less if they'd raped a young girl on the way to the match!!!

If the Blackburn lads where in the wrong place at the wrong time, well to sentence them is a crime in itself. The single party fair enough sentence them but at least be consistent with how a sentence fits a crime.

Just seems to me to be victimising football fans (. On the Blackburn part) are WE safe going to a boozer before or after a game, or are we going to be arrested if someone comes along fighting , worrying.

Most of the Blackburn lads had no previous convictions. I think most were in employment. A couple of them had wives and children. They were in a local pub. They were not convicted of a conspiracy, hence no evidence that they planned "to inflict harm" that day.

Picking up dogsh*t in public for the forseeable future, the threat of jail hanging over you for the next couple of years, loss of job, loss of income for the family, criminal record, and no football for a few years - hardly a badge of honour for people like this is it?

I stand by my opinion that jail is overkill, and that suspended sentences with community service would have sufficed.

If the above is correct, then surely they have grounds for appeal?

• Backroom

The sentences make a mockery of our judicial system. Whilst not condoning this behaviour they would have got a lot less if they'd raped a young girl on the way to the match!!!

If the Blackburn lads where in the wrong place at the wrong time, well to sentence them is a crime in itself. The single party fair enough sentence them but at least be consistent with how a sentence fits a crime.

Just seems to me to be victimising football fans (. On the Blackburn part) are WE safe going to a boozer before or after a game, or are we going to be arrested if someone comes along fighting , worrying.

Pretty sure they wouldn't!

I certainly don’t know all the facts about this case, in fact I don’t really know much about what happened a part from second and third hand accounts.

But what I do know is one person who made his way to the pub that night has been a face on the Blackburn scene for many years, and very recently got a ban for hooliganism, so something was clearly in the air that night.

Still it’s a miscarriage of justice for me.

I certainly don’t know all the facts about this case, in fact I don’t really know much about what happened a part from second and third hand accounts.

But what I do know is one person who made his way to the pub that night has been a face on the Blackburn scene for many years, and very recently got a ban for hooliganism, so something was clearly in the air that night.

Still it’s a miscarriage of justice for me.

To some extent I agree with you Gav but anyone who has a string of previous convictions has nowhere to hide and deserved everything they got. I don't understand the jail sentences for the 1st time offenders though. Young lads who've strayed a bit or in the wrong place at the wrong time. What good is a 12 month jail sentence? They're more likely to be criminals after that.

I thought the Government wanted to cut down short jail sentences. They make no sense to me. Suspended sentences for the kids and 5+ years for the ringleaders/repeat offenders. That in itself will be a deterent and a wake up call for the others.

• 2 months later...

The Cherry tree scrap that never was!

I know pal, absolutely disgusting the sentences handed down.

I still can't believe the police got away with it, but then again their briefs also have so much to answer for.

"Plead guilty lads and you'll get a slap on the wrist" :wacko:

Archived