BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 2010

ewoodpo

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool and city were dismal in their Europa Cup games- both going out I expect.

Always wondered what it is with english clubs and the Europa League. It should be a good barometer of the strength in depth of our league, generally featuring clubs in the 2nd rung of the prem. And yet the so-called strongest league in the world very rarely contributes any finalists, never mind winners. Rovers only reached the second stage once and this season even 2 giants of the english game look to be getting knocked out before the quarters. Dunno if its a matter of our clubs not taking it seriously enough, the punishingly lengthy format or there just being a hell of a lot of european teams out there at a better standard than 5th or below in the PL. I bet right now Harry Redknapp would say its a harder competition to progress in than the champions league!

Always wondered what it is with english clubs and the Europa League. It should be a good barometer of the strength in depth of our league, generally featuring clubs in the 2nd rung of the prem. And yet the so-called strongest league in the world very rarely contributes any finalists, never mind winners. Rovers only reached the second stage once and this season even 2 giants of the english game look to be getting knocked out before the quarters. Dunno if its a matter of our clubs not taking it seriously enough, the punishingly lengthy format or there just being a hell of a lot of european teams out there at a better standard than 5th or below in the PL. I bet right now Harry Redknapp would say its a harder competition to progress in than the champions league!

I think that the last stages of Europa teams are definately worthy of being classed as good as 5th and lower, especially if they 2nd or sometimes even Champions in their domestic leagues.

The whole standard of the BPL has dropped considerably this year, maybe rebuilding but Chelsea, Liverpool, Utd, Arsenal are no where near the same quality team they were 3 or 4 years ago, the only team that seems to have got better is Tottenham and on occasion Man City.

The fact Bolton, Sunderland and Newcastle are in the top 10 and Liverpool and Everton who are two very substantial English clubs have played pretty crappy football and are still in the top 10 shows a dramatic drop in quality. A lot better for fans to see a competitive environment but as clubs must be dissapointing. Hell, 3 or 4 (unlikely) wins puts Rovers into European contention and we have been dire.

Disagree entirely. The top team in England may not always be better than te top team in Spain or Italy, but the 15th best team in England is always better than the 15th best team in Spain or Italy. It's the strength in depth that makes the league so 'good'.

Disagree entirely. The top team in England may not always be better than te top team in Spain or Italy, but the 15th best team in England is always better than the 15th best team in Spain or Italy. It's the strength in depth that makes the league so 'good'.

Blue and White has a point though. If that is true why aren't English clubs dominating the Europa consistently? From Italy, England and Spain it will include 5th-7th at least of each league.

I agree, Eddie. I'd argue that United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool have all declined over the last two - five years (remember when United had a front line of Rooney in his prime, Berbatov, Tevez, and Ronaldo? I don't think that will ever be beaten for sheer class), while the rest of the league have steadily improved. This is demonstrated by the fact that no team is even adrift yet and we're in mid-March.

As for the Champions League, I can't see anybody being capable of beating Barcelona over two legs. I also think they'll turn it on big time when they're in the final, because they're winners and won't bottle it. They're the best team I've ever seen.

I hope they draw Real, because I think they're most capable of beating them, and I'd like either an English side or a smaller team winning it.

i just hope Madrid finish off Spurs. i cant stand that club, and i hope they get thrashed. Barca SHOULD see off Shaktar, but you never know. Pity it cant be the final though, but i suppose we will have to wait for the Spanish Cup final between the 2 of them.

United vs Chelsea will be tasty, and dont rule out Schalke beating Inter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Very stupid from Crouch. Gonna be tough for Spurs now. They need to calm down a bit too cos this ref is card happy. Don't want to go down to 10.

Bit late for that :P

Archived