BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Motd

EWOODACE1

Is it any surprise MOTD shaft us when Big Sam is our manager and we employ the likes of Diouf? They rarely cut us any slack at the best of times, so I certainly wouldn't expect them to now. All they're interested in is big club bias (which includes Liverpool, for some reason) and fairytale stories like Burnley or Blackpool being promoted.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is shearer who hates Rovers. Ever since he moved to Newcastle. When he came back to ewood with newcastle he was booed by Rovers fans. After the game I believe he remarked that was it as far as he was concerned with Blackburn. He mentioned that he gave good service to Rovers and didn't expect to then get booed by the fans.

Good service Shearer???? He was playing centre half and jogging like a snail towards Cantona when Cantona scored that chip. :wacko:

I take it you never saw Bryan Douglas or Ronnie Clayton play.

C'mon Tyrone Ronnie wasn't a Shearer by a long chalk. England captain and proud of it but in my lifetime only Duggie, Shearer and Tugay are fit to dine at the top table with the footballing Gods.

What a lot of nonsense written about Shearer, MOTD, etc... If you think that Shearer *hates* Rovers and that's reciprocated then you clearly weren't at Tony Parkes' testimonial when Shearer returned and the fans buried the hatchet. As for the Cantona goal, he has to score against someone. Plus last time I saw the intro wasn't Shearer playing in Rovers colours? Granted, we're often on last but, face it, is our football generally worthy of anything else?

I actually like the fact that it shows us vs Man Utd in the opening - it signifies the short rivalry we had with them for the Premiership title.

Also agree with the boo-ing comment for Shearer; should never have happened for a real club legend.

You cannot compare Shearer with Garner - Garner was never even on the same planet as Shearer and scored all of his goals in the lower leagues.

I'm sure his beer drinking and smoking antics endeared him to a large portion of the fans, but - having watched him home and away for a few years - Shearer was genuinely world class and the kind of player I feel priveledged tp have represented my local club.

To be fair to MOTD for once - yesterday's game had very little in it for the neutral to enjoy and therefore it was no surprise we were last. Yes, they could have covered the incidents there were more fairly and evenly, but when all is said and done the programme isn't really for those who go to games or really support a team - it's a quick run round all the matches played in the Premier league that day with bland non-offensive coverage that anyone could generally watch and get an idea of what happened. I still watch it but if I want a better idea of what went on I watch Football First.

Guest bluerovers

Used to Love Match of the Day when I was 10, when it did actually show the best Match of the day. It should be renamed

Chelsea, Manu or Arsenal Match of the day.

Its an irrelevance. Watch Football First.

Let me guess you are 25ish now?

I think it is shearer who hates Rovers. Ever since he moved to Newcastle. When he came back to ewood with newcastle he was booed by Rovers fans. After the game I believe he remarked that was it as far as he was concerned with Blackburn. He mentioned that he gave good service to Rovers and didn't expect to then get booed by the fans.

2 be fair he did come back several years later for Tony Parkes testimonal I think it was

I think Sam's done a good job but with tactics and a goal like Saturday's the B.B.C. won't be the only people against us!

Good point.

Refs will be looking for Rovers fouls now and it is heavily odds on we will have a vital and absolutely legitimate goal chalked off in the near future.

Also, the MOTD titles show Shearer in a Rovers shirt, not a Newcastle shirt. Where does that fit into the anti BRFC agenda?

Lineakar and the other 2 have prob insisted on that to wind him up!

Good point.

Refs will be looking for Rovers fouls now and it is heavily odds on we will have a vital and absolutely legitimate goal chalked off in the near future.

Nah... Sam's not that daft, he'll nominate EHD to run into the ref and distract him whilst someone else takes out the keeper. :tu:

I think Sam's done a good job but with tactics and a goal like Saturday's the B.B.C. won't be the only people against us!

Completely agree, Saturday was one of the worst games i've seen for a while. Certainly under SA's reign. Our goal was blatantly a foul and very calculated and intentional. The game was awful and I would have been very suprised if we hadn't been last on MOTD, the game deserved to be last. Awful performance from both teams (all though in my view fulham were slightly better overall) and awful ref performance. I wont see Rovers at Ewood again till the Chealse game (can't make midweek games) and am quite glad after that display. We don't play good football to watch at the minute so its not really a suprise we don't get much coverage on MOTD. Think this "Little ol Rovers getting picked on" view is sad. Same as with the Goldberg stuff. For once we do get news coverage with someone investigating into a very imporatant issue for us. This can only be good for the football club as any issues brought up are brought to the attention of club and they can investigate on their own term. What happens, people jump straight in, saying its negative because its Rovers. Staggering. Is all coverage ManU, Aresnal, Chealse etc.. positive? Most coverage is negative in the media as the media are generally more interested in bringing people down than anything else - they love scandal.

I don't see any bias from Shearer one way or the other, I think he's quite neutral on Rovers. I think he would be pro Rovers if the majority of fans hadn't booed him, but the fact he has comeback for a couple of testimonials and had good receptions has probally meant we are about even with him - in his view. I always thought it was ridiculus us booing him. He wanted to play for his boyhood club, i wish more footballers kept that connection with their roots. Shame we lost out because of it but thats life.

Guest bluerovers

My choice of taking in a Rovers game (or failing that highlights) in order of preference...

1) Being there (obviously)

2) xxxxxx

3) Football First

4) Goals On Sunday

5) Rovers World

6) Footytube highlights

7) MOTD

Don't think I've watched MOTD for nearly years now as at least one of the other 6 has always been available.

My choice of taking in a Rovers game (or failing that highlights) in order of preference...

1) Being there (obviously)

2) xxxxx

3) Football First

4) Goals On Sunday

5) Rovers World

6) Footytube highlights

7) MOTD

Don't think I've watched MOTD for nearly years now as at least one of the other 6 has always been available.

Yeah i take a simular view normally. However when its a game as bad as Saturday, I dont want to watch extended highlights on Football First, 2 mins on MOTD and a look at the other games in the process is better.

Do people still watch Match of the Day? It's about as relevant these days as Football Focus.

Yep, far more than anything else relating to the Premiership.

Latest viewing figures available (end of August), MotD had 4.04m viewers and was the 47th most watched programme on all on British tv (25th if you only count 1 episode of the soaps / each news broadcast).

For comparison, Sky managed 3.955m viewers across all 4 live matches + Gilette Soccer Saturday + Match First. Figures aren't available for Goals on Sunday, but are less than 0.2m

It might not service the needs of "real fans" anymore, but it's still one of the most watched sports programmes there is.

Archived