BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Motd

EWOODACE1

Its the national broadcaster showing the only premier league football highlights on terrestrial. It hasnt got much of a choice but to put the bigger teams up front unless there is a 5-4 or something. Face it, if its Arsenal vs Liverpool or Bolton vs Fulham i think the neutral fan would definately prefer to watch the former over the latter. Rovers obviously get the stale end of the deal but thats life. Id rather be last on MOTD then first on the Football League show.

No, the best game of the day should be first. Back in the 90s and earlier that was how it was scheduled.

Now unless there is a 0-0 for a 'big club' you can guess the first 3 games each week.

Cliche ridden @#/?, Football First all the way.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bluerovers

I'm sure he suggested that the 25 most successful clubs of all time should be in the top league.

We would have been in that league so I agreed with him.

:)

OMG!!!

OK I take it back, although he doesn't name us specifically and as someone said we would actually be in his 'dream' top flight under his criteria...

I loved this bit....

So I think we should forget the 39th game and just have the top 25 clubs in the country playing 50 games.

Obviously maths wasn't his forte as he's actually demanding two extra games (or that each team plays themselves twice).

I think James Richardson, the guy who used to do Italian football on channel 4 was great, he was articulate, unbiased and actually watched the games and gave good insight into all the clubs.

MOTD falls in the trap of trying to have pundits, mainly ex-players who cannot put across to the viewer what they mean, which then eats up time they could show highlights of the other games on.

I think James Richardson, the guy who used to do Italian football on channel 4 was great, he was articulate, unbiased and actually watched the games and gave good insight into all the clubs.

MOTD falls in the trap of trying to have pundits, mainly ex-players who cannot put across to the viewer what they mean, which then eats up time they could show highlights of the other games on.

He's working for IMG at the moment on their 24 hour premier league channel.

Guest bluerovers

Listen to the Guardian Football Podcasts, they are hosted by James and IMO give the best footy punditry about at the moment...

Didnt watch it - but did they show the foul on Mame in the 1st half which looked like a penalty from the BBE?

The ref was crap on saturday - he should have sent off Schwarzer & he should have disallowed our goal...however he should have also given us a penalty for the headlock on Kalinic.

The BBC dont care about little old Blackburn!

well we care, thats all that matters.

I'm sure he suggested that the 25 most successful clubs of all time should be in the top league.

We would have been in that league so I agreed with him.

:)

It actually says biggest and most successful. Would be interesting to see how they

define successful. It would appear you just need to be BIG.

MOTD Frequently Asked Questions

HOW DO YOU DECIDE THE RUNNING ORDER FOR MATCH OF THE DAY?

The Match of the Day editor explains at length in this entry.

WHY IS MY TEAM ALWAYS LAST ON MATCH OF THE DAY?

Since regaining the Premier League highlights rights in August 2004, our aim has been to provide a more comprehensive review of Saturday's Premier League action. It's our intention that we do not show less than five minutes of a game - in fact we frequently show more.

The running order for each programme is determined by the day's big stories, talking points and most entertaining games. There is certainly no perceived bias against or in favour of certain teams. Each match takes its place in the running order on its own merit. And it is precisely for that reason that we send a commentator to every Premier League game on Saturdays and Sundays.

So, with that in mind - Birmingham 0-0 Wigan and Fulham 0-0 Everton today, while we partook in a local derby with a last minute winner. I'm hoping for third last at least. Let's see...

Oh, and at least 5 minutes for every game, that's news to me

I'm surprised the general public and media alike are only just rounding up on MOTD. I think it's been pedestrian for a few years now.

I ended up watching the scores etc on BBC today. The amount of times they mentioned watching MOTD was really noticeable. I think the BBC powers that be might have realised that people aren't that happy with it.

That said I think the BBC is getting a big wake up call all round, ATM.

I ended up watching the scores etc on BBC today. The amount of times they mentioned watching MOTD was really noticeable. I think the BBC powers that be might have realised that people aren't that happy with it.

That said I think the BBC is getting a big wake up call all round, ATM.

Derek McGovern made a good point that the reaction to Hansen's critique on Walcott just proves how uncontroversial the show is.

Hansen's expert analysis on us: "Blackburn, they're alright. Gritty, determined, difficult to beat".

License fee money well spent.

Yet deeming Samba's dissallowed goal not worthy of showing, did I dream that he scored today because I have no evidence of it from the highlights.

Yet deeming Samba's dissallowed goal not worthy of showing, did I dream that he scored today because I have no evidence of it from the highlights.

Particularly ironic considering how they creamed their pants over Diouf's shove on Schwarzer last week. I'd have thought they'd have been smugly proud that they'd done their bit to highlight a tactic of ours, which has been seen to be rectified this week. Maybe we needed Lawro on!

Oh, and when did City sign David Villa? Must have missed that one Big Al.

Particularly ironic considering how they creamed their pants over Diouf's shove on Schwarzer last week. I'd have thought they'd have been smugly proud that they'd done their bit to highlight a tactic of ours, which has been seen to be rectified this week. Maybe we needed Lawro on!

Oh, and when did City sign David Villa? Must have missed that one Big Al.

It made me laugh when Shearer said that Everton are too good to go down. How about examining what's gone wrong with their season so far, instead of just reeling off a list of their players?

Guest bluerovers

MOTD Frequently Asked Questions

HOW DO YOU DECIDE THE RUNNING ORDER FOR MATCH OF THE DAY?

The Match of the Day editor explains at length in this entry.

WHY IS MY TEAM ALWAYS LAST ON MATCH OF THE DAY?

Since regaining the Premier League highlights rights in August 2004, our aim has been to provide a more comprehensive review of Saturday's Premier League action. It's our intention that we do not show less than five minutes of a game - in fact we frequently show more.

The running order for each programme is determined by the day's big stories, talking points and most entertaining games. There is certainly no perceived bias against or in favour of certain teams. Each match takes its place in the running order on its own merit. And it is precisely for that reason that we send a commentator to every Premier League game on Saturdays and Sundays.

So, with that in mind - Birmingham 0-0 Wigan and Fulham 0-0 Everton today, while we partook in a local derby with a last minute winner. I'm hoping for third last at least. Let's see...

Oh, and at least 5 minutes for every game, that's news to me

We got 7 mins today (and that's not including the post match interviews or punditry..

Most of the match reports seem to agree that Kalinic fouled Gilks.

Ahh ok thx, just thought it would have been nice to maybe have seen it myself to make my own judgement, maybe I will just discuss with my dog how many yards wide Vaughn's shot was that was shown was instead.

Archived