BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers : A Proud Tradition.

I am sure tony gale's mic is going to accuse me of being paranoid and promoting an anti Rovers conspiracy theory, but I have always found post Jack, a complete lack of respect for Rovers' tradition as a club.

If you mention Sheff Wed, Notts Forest, WBA, Wolves etc to fans, many will say 'historic club', 'lots of tradition' etc etc.

However, mention Rovers it is; 'bought the title', 'plastic club', 'no fans', 'don't deserve to be in the Premier League' etc etc- even though we have as much if not more history than the bloody lot pre 1992.

For me, the media has brainwashed a generation of fans against us, perhaps it is because we have carried on achieving- putting the noses of fans of the 'bigger clubs' who win bugger all out of joint in the process, maybe it just says it all about the modern football supporter, maybe I shouldn't care less, but it doesn't half get my goat! :angry:

I'd pretty much agree with that, 'bought the title' being the one that gets my goat the most and the one the media has had the greatest success in brainwashing people with, I still hear it today and then have to sit down with pen and paper and have them add up the entire Rovers title winning team (about 15m quid) and then write down the $$$ spent by Newcastle, BC, Liverpool, Spurs etc. I love the bewildered, stunned silence as I ask them to try and tell me again that Rovers bought the title or shouldn't be in the Prem.

British Towns say West Bromwich is a town, in the borough of Sandwell, in the ..... blah blah blah.

We will soon be above them in the table in any case. B)

Found this table which looks like it's in real time and which puts *us* above wba ...

After all those matches to have 2881 points and a goal difference of +1,which is Emertons goal on saturday. Amazing!

No. It was the penalty that Tommy Briggs took to score his seventh versus Bristol Rovers in 1954(?) :tu:

Just realised: Briggs' goal was not in top flight football :wstu:

Let's not be too be to sensitive about where our team is based.

Over the 100 years + that Rovers have been in existance the club has been in Lancashire

Both Blackpool & Blackburn are now Unitary Authorities.

Manchester United; Everton; Manchester City: Liverpool; Rochdale: Oldham: Wigan; Preston: Bolton: Burnley; & Bury; are all pre 1974 local authority re-arrangements.

It's just political boundaries. If you look at that list then only Preston & Burnley are still in "Lancashire."

Let's not get to het up about it eh?

I'd pretty much agree with that, 'bought the title' being the one that gets my goat the most and the one the media has had the greatest success in brainwashing people with, I still hear it today and then have to sit down with pen and paper and have them add up the entire Rovers title winning team (about 15m quid) and then write down the $$$ spent by Newcastle, BC, Liverpool, Spurs etc. I love the bewildered, stunned silence as I ask them to try and tell me again that Rovers bought the title or shouldn't be in the Prem.

Here you go, my pet peeve in all it's glory for you and everyone else to dissapate.

Rovers did not "buy the title." They won it by scoring more points over the

season than anyone else.

The fifteen players who played the most league appearances in that season

(in brackets) are listed below, along with their transfer fees)

Alan Shearer (42) £3.3m from Southampton in 1992

Henning Berg (40) £0.4m from Lillestrom in 1993

Chris Sutton (40) £5.0m from Norwich in 1994

Graeme Le Saux (39) £0.65 from chelsea in 1993

Tim Flowers (39) £2.0m from Southampton 1993

Colin Hendry (38) £0.03mfrom Dundee in 1987

Tim Sherwood (38) £0.5m from Norwich in 1992

Stuart Ripley (36) £1.2m from Middlebrough in 1992

Mark Atkins (30) £0.04mfrom Scunthorpe in 1988

Jason Wilcox (27) £0 from the youth team

Ian Pearce (22) £0.3m from chelsea in 1993

Paul Warhurst (20) £2.7m from Sheffield Wednesday in 1993

Tony Gale (15) £0 from West Ham in 1994

Robbie Slater (12) £0.3m from Lens in 1994

Jeff Kenna (9) £1.45mfrom Southampton in 1995

That's a total of £17.87m over roughly three years.

How does that compare with the £77m Manchester United paid for Veron, Ferdinand and Van Nistelrooy ?

Buying the title indeed!

[quote name='colin' date='28 September 2010

That's a total of £17.87m over roughly three years.

How does that compare with the £77m Manchester United paid for Veron, Ferdinand and Van Nistelrooy ?

Buying the title indeed!

The figure for Hendry was slightly wrong.

You correctly gave our original purchase amount from Dundee, but we then bought him back from Man City for approx £700,000.

No matter how much they try to belittle us with "buying the title" and "no history" we can always reply with the fact that we are the ONLY team to have won at least one of the 3 major English trophies in 3 different centuries. :D

That is a bloody fantastic stat, and makes me even more proud to be a Rover, if that is possible. All the Old Firm fans here in Glasgow are gonna get to hear about this :)

Just to add to the Albion nitpicking - they are a separate town to Birmingham, though you'd not know it driving from one to the other. The people of West Bromwich are very staunchly not Brummies, though WBA do have decent support in Birmingham.

Off on a bit of a tangent (but sticking with history pre-1992), can we please stop singing "won eff all" at Villa. It's hugely embarassing to be sat with a bunch of clueless arses singing that at European Cup winners.

Back on topic, Rovers are the most successful town club by a long way. This makes me very proud.

The figure for Hendry was slightly wrong.

You correctly gave our original purchase amount from Dundee, but we then bought him back from Man City for approx £700,000.

Yeah we did buy Hendry back from City for 700K, but we had earlier sold him to City for 700k, so one balances out the other...

and without going through the entire squad we later sold Hendry, Shearer and Sutton for massive profits!!

Buying the title indeed :angry::rolleyes:

Rovers did not "buy the title." They won it by scoring more points over the

season than anyone else.

The fifteen players ... a total of £17.87m over roughly three years.

Totally agree, we know the truth, buying it indeed! However to bat off these constant claims the evidence should be updated a bit.

I think the allegation revolves around what other teams were spending at the time we built our team, certainly Veron etc signed well afterwards (2001?) when prices had taken off.

From memory Cantona was snapped up from Leeds for just over a million at around the same time (1991/1992?) so to make the case I think your list needs to compare what we spent versus what other EPL clubs spent say 1992 through 1995.

This constant badgering of our club for having 'bought' the title is just plain b*ll*cks of course and your point stands up from the point of view that if winning the title was just about cash spent then the subsequent massive spending of teams like Newcastle and Leeds showed this to be totally false.

The most our transfer fund did for us was that it enabled us to back Kenny's hunch as to which available players could gell to form a winning team. Non of this buying a whole 1st team, 2nd, team, 3rd team of top talent just to stop them joining competitor teams. Perish the thought that the likes of Chelsea and Citeeh should be accused of that.

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived