BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Superleague Grand Final

I know of at least two others on here who are going to the Grand Final on Saturday, was just wondering if anyone else was??

It's been a brilliant season for Wigan winning the league and getting to the grand final (the hard way). Hopefully it will last one more game :) The whole Wigan end has sold out and the only tickets left are those on general sale at the Saints end of the ground - gonna be a brill atmosphere :D

Been to three Grand Finals supporting Wigan and seen three defeats, so deciding to stay away from this one! Was on the Wigan website today to see their allocation had sold out and it seemed to imply that the game was a total sellout. Anyway, I feel I have jinxed them, so I am (relatively) happy to keep away from Old Traford as long as they win. Will be a great game and lets hope they finally do it.

Only three more sleeps!!

South stand for us so at least we wont be watching dots in the top tier.

I don't know if it's actually sold out yet but all Wigan areas went by Tuesday morning and Ticketmaster have said the vast majority of their general sale tickets have gone to Wigan fans. Saints sent back 2000 tickets which went on general sale today and I know many Wigan fans have been snapping them up too.

Anyway, as we finished top we are the home team, so we get to wear the cherry & white, get the bigger changing rooms and 6 minutes of injury time if we are losing.....

Given the fact that you're a Rugby League fan how do you still justify watching football. I've got two teams in my life , Rovers and lowly Rochdale Hornets and I've got to confess I get much more excited watching The 'nets than I do watching Rovers, especially at the moment. The level of commitment even at our level is much greater. Any football fan going to a live Grand Final for the first time would be blown away. As to the final itself- I've no axe to grind, at least it'll be a Lancashire team that wins it.

Given the fact that you're a Rugby League fan how do you still justify watching football. I've got two teams in my life , Rovers and lowly Rochdale Hornets and I've got to confess I get much more excited watching The 'nets than I do watching Rovers, especially at the moment. The level of commitment even at our level is much greater. Any football fan going to a live Grand Final for the first time would be blown away. As to the final itself- I've no axe to grind, at least it'll be a Lancashire team that wins it.

It's just one of those things! The only football I really watch are Rovers matches and that's because it's an emotional thing as it's the team I support. However, I will always choose a Warriors game over a Rovers one as I am passionate about RL. What really got to me though was the England performance in the world cup - I watched Wigan's young lads literally spill blood for the team, giving every ounce they have whilst earning £25k p/a max yet that shambles of a football team couldn't give a dam.

Anyway, this sums it up for me; "Footballers spend 90 mins pretending to be injured, Rugby players spend 80 mins pretending not to be injured".

The only seats remaining where two or more can sit together are in the north west quadrant, tier 2, St Helens section. Considered it, but couldn't stomach having to sit with that lot, should they win. Come on Wigan!

Nah, seems to be plenty of Wigan fans getting tickets in that area but of course there is still a risk of being sat with the scousers :blink: .

Big story breaking down under - looks like some of the NRL lads have been taking advice from the Pakistan cricket team :tu:

It's just one of those things! The only football I really watch are Rovers matches and that's because it's an emotional thing as it's the team I support. However, I will always choose a Warriors game over a Rovers one as I am passionate about RL. What really got to me though was the England performance in the world cup - I watched Wigan's young lads literally spill blood for the team, giving every ounce they have whilst earning £25k p/a max yet that shambles of a football team couldn't give a dam.

Anyway, this sums it up for me; "Footballers spend 90 mins pretending to be injured, Rugby players spend 80 mins pretending not to be injured".

Koi, The guys at our level are on about £200 to £300 for a win , God knows what they get for getting beat, probably nothing. They train 3 or 4 times a week at night and weekend after work and if you don't make the 17 you get nothing. I've seen guys that have to drag themselves off the pitch after a game with nothing left in the tank, battered and bruised. Give them half an hour and they'll still have a laugh and chat with you at the bar for as long as you like. And then I see Pedersen ( among others ).

The news from Aus is very disturbing. All the best on Saturday- may the best team win.

Koi, The guys at our level are on about £200 to £300 for a win , God knows what they get for getting beat, probably nothing. They train 3 or 4 times a week at night and weekend after work and if you don't make the 17 you get nothing. I've seen guys that have to drag themselves off the pitch after a game with nothing left in the tank, battered and bruised. Give them half an hour and they'll still have a laugh and chat with you at the bar for as long as you like. And then I see Pedersen ( among others ).

The news from Aus is very disturbing. All the best on Saturday- may the best team win.

But there is so much more to supporting a football club than those 11 players.

We would pretty much all agree that modern football is an out of control monster with obsence amounts of money floating about, watching Rugby League is like a window into professional sport from a more moral and decent age.

BUT... Blackburn Rovers is a fantastic institution, a club you actually feel part of and I don't let the very little feeling I have for our largely mercenary playing staff dilute my passion for the club.

Yep it's a tough game that's for sure.

I'm not sure how legit the Oz story is, as I understand it the Police have yet to finish their investigation.

Not sure about RL being a moral sport - drug use is widespread, the salary cap is broken by lots of clubs (there are plenty of means to get around it) and the RFL is ran shambolically whilst raking in cash to the detriment of the clubs... oh yes, don't forget the non-competitive non relegation/promotion and franchise system... trying to expand to areas with no interest i.e. London at the expense of hotbeds such as Widnes.

I don't dislike RL just think some people don't see the whole picture!

Not sure about RL being a moral sport - drug use is widespread, the salary cap is broken by lots of clubs (there are plenty of means to get around it) and the RFL is ran shambolically whilst raking in cash to the detriment of the clubs... oh yes, don't forget the non-competitive non relegation/promotion and franchise system... trying to expand to areas with no interest i.e. London at the expense of hotbeds such as Widnes.

RL has the most stringent drug testing of any sport and every player I know has been tested at least once this season. Of course with such a hard game (remember pro league players train many hours a day and suffer numerous injuries) the use of drugs is going to be an issue but then it's widespread in many other sports including football. The salary cap in SL is far more difficult to breach with the live accounting system now employed, I know at Wigan everything regarding player payment is cleared by the RFL. I partially agree with your opinion of the RFL but on the whole I think they do okay. Of course they could be parochial and keep the the game in the heartland but I personally want as many as possible to watch a fantastic game.

I LOVE that the RFL are trying to expand the game out of it's heartlands. There's a reason it's a minority sport, despite being one of the most entertaining games on the planet.

They've been ambitious - can't fault them for that. The Quins' youth system is really taking off, so perhaps there's light at the end of that tunnel. They're also looking at adding a team in Toulouse, which I fully support.

You've just got to look at the average attendances to see that there's far too many teams competing for the same fans in a tiny catchment area. Yes, teams like Widnes are going to feel aggrieved, but that's the nature of the business.

As for the franchise system, also a fantastic idea. It takes the pressure off teams to win straight away and gives youth a chance. Teams that abuse it and simply field uncompetitive teams because there's no chance of relegation will soon find their license revoked.

Anyway, that was all off topic. C'mon Wigan!

It's interesting that the Aussie NRL grand final is on on Sunday as well, St George v Eastern Suburbs.

I'm having a few guys round for a barbie and a few beers.

Was talking to Bill Harrigan (referee and now video ref) tonight. Told him to take his specs, after his last mistake they gave him a bigger TV!. He's a top bloke BTW.

Koi, If there is anything going on in NRL here, it's not reached my ears. There's always speculation and generally it comes to nought.

The big thing to hit the news NRL wise is the number of potential internationals that have injuries. Thurston is out as well as several others.

As a game, I'm not that enamoured, as the ball is not always available to the opposition. No doubt the guys are fit, but it smacks of "we'll have it for five and kick and then you have it for five and kick."

It's interesting that the Aussie NRL grand final is on on Sunday as well, St George v Eastern Suburbs.

I'm having a few guys round for a barbie and a few beers.

Was talking to Bill Harrigan (referee and now video ref) tonight. Told him to take his specs, after his last mistake they gave him a bigger TV!. He's a top bloke BTW.

Koi, If there is anything going on in NRL here, it's not reached my ears. There's always speculation and generally it comes to nought.

The big thing to hit the news NRL wise is the number of potential internationals that have injuries. Thurston is out as well as several others.

As a game, I'm not that enamoured, as the ball is not always available to the opposition. No doubt the guys are fit, but it smacks of "we'll have it for five and kick and then you have it for five and kick."

So I take it you don't like cricket either?

As for the NRL - how about this scandal?

So I take it you don't like cricket either?

As for the NRL - how about this scandal?

WTF are talking about, cricket!

On the more sensible stations, you know, the ones that don't have to "create" news, it's not an issue.

Like I said, I had a beer with one of the best known NRL refs, he mentioned nothing, if it were something, it would have been brought up, especially on the eve of the biggest game in the code in country this this year.

oh yeah, remember cricket, the ball interchanges between the fielding and batting sides with every ball sent down. Not hard to understand, is it?

Now, an attack on League. It's a code played in (basically) two states in Australia and two counties in England. Do you want to continue, ER?

On the more sensible stations, you know, the ones that don't have to "create" news, it's not an issue.

Like I said, I had a beer with one of the best known NRL refs, he mentioned nothing, if it were something, it would have been brought up, especially on the eve of the biggest game in the code in country this this year.

oh yeah, remember cricket, the ball interchanges between the fielding and batting sides with every ball sent down. Not hard to understand, is it?

Now, an attack on League. It's a code played in (basically) two states in Australia and two counties in England. Do you want to continue, ER?

Do I want to continue what? The defence of League? All day. Oh and two counties? Really?

As for cricket - only one team can score at any given time. If you're going to attack League's style of play, then cricket simply must really irk you. Unless you're a hypocrite of course.

Three in England, it's massive in Cumbria plus Sky will tell you that they have a large number of viewers in South Wales and Cornwall/Devon and not forgetting that it's a huge sport in the Catalonia region of France. But no doubt it's a minority sport which is pity because I believe it's such a great game to be involved with.

The match fixing is a live investigation, there's some confusion over what stage it's at. I will say that I'm convinced Ryan Tandy will be in trouble - there is no doubt he was involved in a set-up against North Q IMO and as for Willie Mason well where do you start?

By the way, the ball is always available to the opposition, it's up to the carrier of the ball to defend it - presuming you've played full-contact League you should know how hard it is to actually keep possession of the football.

Anyway, back on topic - one more sleep!!

Do I want to continue what? The defence of League? All day. Oh and two counties? Really?

As for cricket - only one team can score at any given time. If you're going to attack League's style of play, then cricket simply must really irk you. Unless you're a hypocrite of course.

Well, tell me two counties, two states. Where else?

When League has it's world cup, can they manage two "semi finals"? ie four teams? Who've we got GB, Aus, NZ and.... and ..... and.

Now, cricket, the ball is always available when it is sent down the pitch, the batsman can either hit it or leave it. If he hits it the ball is available (get that bit?) to be caught by the opposition. You with me so far?

Now in the other Rugby code, the ball is always available to the opposition, but that's another argument.

the use of drugs is going to be an issue but then it's widespread in many other sports including football. .

Widespread in football - balderdash. Evidence ?

Comparing RL to cricket is nonsensical - two very different sports. A debate on the relative merits or otherwise of RL and RU is legitimate.

Widespread in football - balderdash. Evidence ?

Comparing RL to cricket is nonsensical - two very different sports. A debate on the relative merits or otherwise of RL and RU is legitimate.

Xavier, Mutu, Danny Cadamarteri, Paddy Kenny off top of my head and don't forget the FA keep many names a secret. Believe me Jim, when a reliable testing for growth hormone is found there's going to be some serious trouble ahead and I bet there's been some serious cold sweats when Tez tested positive.

Archived