BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ryder Cup 2010 Europe V Usa, Celtic Manor, Wales!

Just watched the opening ceremony and Katherine Jenkins didn't let the side down :wub:

I'm not the biggest golf fan but the Ryder Cup is the highlight of the golfing world and for it to be held in Wales, it's a special occasion for the country. I read a few members took up golf when Ince was at the helm so this thread should interest some.

Europe to win and Mcilroy to be the star player.

The Ryder Cup is a fantastic competition.

Was at the Belfry on the last day in 1989 when Christy O'Connor hit a 2-iron 220 yards over the water at the 18th to secure victory.

Concorde flew over in a victory salute shortly after. Great moment and wonderful atmosphere.

Walked back to the car park chatting to disgruntled US fans - they don't like being beaten !

Hoping for a good start tomorrow. My predicted winners in bold, which would end the session 2 and a half to 1 and a half in Europe's favour:

EUROPE USA

FRIDAY FOURBALLS

Match 1 (All square)

L Westwood/ M Kaymer -

0745 BST P Mickelson/D Johnson -

Match 2

R McIlroy/G McDowell -

0800 BST S Cink/M Kuchar -

Match 3

I Poulter/R Fisher -

0815 BST S Stricker/T Woods -

Match 4

L Donald/P Harrington -

0830 BST B Watson/J Overton -

The R McIlroy/G McDowell pairing is a banker (I may be a tad biased on that one!)

Hoping for a good start tomorrow. My predicted winners in bold, which would end the session 2 and a half to 1 and a half in Europe's favour:

EUROPE USA

FRIDAY FOURBALLS

Match 1 (All square)

L Westwood/ M Kaymer -

0745 BST P Mickelson/D Johnson -

Match 2

R McIlroy/G McDowell -

0800 BST S Cink/M Kuchar -

Match 3

I Poulter/R Fisher -

0815 BST S Stricker/T Woods -

Match 4

L Donald/P Harrington -

0830 BST B Watson/J Overton -

The R McIlroy/G McDowell pairing is a banker (I may be a tad biased on that one!)

On target up to now,hope you put some coin on it! :tu:

dunno about that now... my last update has only the Westwood/Kaymer team leading for the Euros, and 3 USa leads, but all are tight pairings.

I'm actually not a golfer (I'm a grass and tree killer when I do try and swing the clubs), and rarely like to watch golf, but I LOVE events like this.

No, no money on it (Fortunately so as the day has progressed).

Been a real up and down day, but player of the day has to be Cink. Dominated the N.Irish pairing, and at 2 up I can't see the Americans dropping that one now.

Pretty sure the European side would take a 2-2 from this and put it in the history books, but tomorrow is another day (without the rain hopefully!)

Not a massive golfer myself either really, but as USRoverME says the format is very enthralling. Same reason why I get so into the Mosconi Cup.

2 1/2 to 1 1/2 down after first fourballs has just finished, good recovery from the NI pair. That 18th looks amazing, should be the scene of some very interesting golf over the next two days.

Nice to see Tiger play a shot like me there just now!

Due to more rain overnight the start of play today has now been delayed until 13:30, with the singles now scheduled to start at 09:05 tomorrow morning.

Incredibly disapponting, the Ryder Cup is a fantastic spectacle that has been ruined by bad luck with the weather and bad planning with the scheduling. The start of October in Wales always had potential to end up this way.

Great days play today and a superb performance from the European side. Held their nerve well during the middle stages and closed 5 out of the 6 games out. Fantastic stuff - hoping for more of the same again tomorrow, with the rain holding out hopefully.

One note of caution: In 1999 Europe led 10-6 into the final day, only to lose 14½ to 13½. You don't have a pessimist to be a Rovers fan, but it helps! ;)

The Sky coverage is brilliant. Even my wife who never plays golf has given up the cooking programmes and sat enthralled all afternoon. Never had the sports channel on so easily.

Europes biggest problem now going into the singles is the mental approach-they all looked and sounded like they felt they had won the cup last night, when in fact they have it all to do again this morning. Monty has a crucial role now, and needs to get his players mind set correct and get them up to win the biggest golf game in the world-bigger than the majors in my opinion-something he could never achieve in his own playing career.

11 - 9 now. Haven't bothered with Golf before but this is great.

Let's us hope we get to 14 1/2 !!

Fantastic isn't it?

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE is hopefully about to bring another point our way with Furyk in the bunker on 18. There's no matches all square as we currently stand, this could be close.

Fisher has just gone in to the water at 15. At this moment in time it looks very much as though you can put 2 points in the bag for Europe and 4 for USA. That will leave McDowell - Mahan as the decider, a win or half for Europe and we win. A USA win and they retain with a tie. It's going to be very close. Thankfull McDowell is currently 2UP.

Archived