BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester City

Iceman

Scary Times

Reading this makes you wonder, that perhaps splashing the cash is not always a good thing, despite them having a very very rich owner. i suppose the deal to buy Rovers, can take as much time to conclude as possible imo. We got to be very careful about things like this, because if these Arabs decide to leave City, then they could find themselves in huge trouble.

Turnover at £129m - wages over that at £135m - and that before any sort of bonus payments if they ever did well.

Nasty model to follow - if we get a takeover then id like to see us replace crap for better players, without being stupid - i.e. £200k for Yaya Toure is crazy, hes not worth half of that.

Its interesting though, that currently( i speak under correction), but are we not following a smiliar sort of structure? Turnover at certain amount, high wages exceeding that turnover? Its not on that level that City are at, but am i right in saying its similar?

No more so than F1, Boxing, Golf, NBA and American Football.

Or for that matter banking, advertising, PR etc. People are starving but the world goes on.

Football, particularly the Premiership, seems to have the finger pointed at it far more than the above sports/professions for some reason.

People are starving but the world goes on.

Not to pick on you in particular, but isn't a horrible place we live in where this is an accepted form of thinking?

Anyway this topic is in danger of veering off into a completely different direction already, so I'll leave it at that!

To try and drag it back on topic, I hate the fact that City are spending all that money and still play with three defensive midfielders.

Or for that matter banking, advertising, PR etc. People are starving but the world goes on.

Football, particularly the Premiership, seems to have the finger pointed at it far more than the above sports/professions for some reason.

The sports you mention, are not as high profile as football. Football is played in every corner of the world. NBA and American football are mainly watched in the USA and North America.

The sports you mention, are not as high profile as football. Football is played in every corner of the world. NBA and American football are mainly watched in the USA and North America.

Also, it's a relatively new development with football, which was traditionally a working man's sport.

F1/Golf etc has always attracted been attractive to more well-off, and nobody really cares about US sports outside of that country.

I don't know about that, actually. I know that occasionally the major sports here in the USA do something silly and get attention pointed at them in that light, but yes it usualyl does take some form of news story about the largess of the sport for people to remember to be upset. Personally, I don't usually take it to the war or anythig like that, I usually more think along the lines of wondering how the heck a sports athelete can hold out, demand a new contract, etc, for a massive raise given the current economy, when unemployment is rampant, etc, and he's already making 100 times the average joe's salary. Or when teams splash hundreds of millions, or billions into new stadiums, etc.

But, I see the point.

the worrying part about this, is that there is no letting up by the City Owners. Its turning the game into a joke really, that you can pay average players huge salaries. You also have players like RSC and SWP sitting on a bench, collecting the pounds. In years gone by, guys just wanted to play football, now you flash 200k in front of them, and it doesnt matter if they on the bench. You cannot blame them, who would turn that down just to train 4 times a week, and look stupid sitting on the bench?

Also, it's a relatively new development with football, which was traditionally a working man's sport.

F1/Golf etc has always attracted been attractive to more well-off, and nobody really cares about US sports outside of that country.

Guess I'm a nobody then.

Imagine where they might be financially in say three years time, no CL qualifications Etc.

Can't see them capping their wage structure.

Can't see them curbing the spending.

AS the OP says, Scary! indeed.

Certainly puts Syed's 300m over 15 years into perspective.

Its interesting though, that currently( i speak under correction), but are we not following a smiliar sort of structure? Turnover at certain amount, high wages exceeding that turnover? Its not on that level that City are at, but am i right in saying its similar?

Not quite. Our wages don't exceed our turnover, they just take up a massive portion of it. Our board are smart enough to know that if wages exceeded turnover we would still be a (desperately) selling club. We also operate with a minimal transfer budget.

Not quite. Our wages don't exceed our turnover, they just take up a massive portion of it. Our board are smart enough to know that if wages exceeded turnover we would still be a (desperately) selling club. We also operate with a minimal zero transfer budget.

;)

Imagine where they might be financially in say three years time, no CL qualifications Etc.

Can't see them capping their wage structure.

Can't see them curbing the spending.

AS the OP says, Scary! indeed.

Certainly puts Syed's 300m over 15 years into perspective.

If the financial fair play rules come into play at 2012, it means this season City will have to qualify and in the next season win CL if they're to do it anytime soon. There's no way they can downsize (£38M losses max) enough to pass the rules come 2012.

The problem City have is they cannot qualify any time in the next four seasons.

They have spent £250m+ on tranasfers. Those are being amortised over four seasons so that is an automatic £60m charge to the P&L each season so even if they get their trading account better balanced, the player account will knock them into banning territory.

for me the whole City spending spree, is beginning to get out of control now. the FA should really try and control this, as we are witnessing how owners are ruining the clubs by over spending, and placing debt on these clubs.

• 6 months later...

There is no implementation date for these rules. It's just he BBC stirring up the fans.

Chelsea, City, Spurs all in debt. So lets remove them from the UEFA Champions League. Oh and don't forget Barca and Real. So basically all the top teams are in debt so they are removed so what are you left with? I am sure the sponsors will hand over the cash to see Stoke V Lecce.

Man U are OK with the rules as the parent companies debt does not count WTF :blink::wacko::blink:

These rules are needed but they need to be implemented correctly and over time and of course UEFA has to have a back bone to actually implement them.

To do that is a MASSIVE job, I certainly can't see it happening any time soon.

That is truly sickening.

When people are dying in parts of the world, it makes the game shameful.

I know that football is the world game, but this beggars belief.

No it doesn't. It's money circulation. Better than staying put in some Arabs back sack.

As with Bankok I dont believe the hype on these rules, they will eventually get introduced with much more reduced measures and will probably never really get off the ground.

All the top clubs are in massive debts or go beyond their means.

Archived