BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool losing...

chocky

Feel sorry for Woy, think he's a very decent bloke who has maybe taken the wrong job at the wrong time. Sadly, I can't see him last any length of time at the moment.

Why? He left a respectable club in Fulham and must have had some idea what he was letting himself in for.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a funny feeling that Blackpool will be staying up.

Still think they'll go myself though they do have more points at this stage than any team that's been relegated believe, or is more wins? not sure but the stats say they should stay up. I'm absolutely sure we need to be above them at the end of the season though.

Why? He left a respectable club in Fulham and must have had some idea what he was letting himself in for.

Maybe but I think the situation has significantly worsened since then. I can only see Daglish stepping in to be honest.

I take the point at about Coyle at Bolton. However, jimmk2 also has a point. It is all well and good saying 'lets just give it a go like Blackpool' 'Holloway, what a guy'.

The difference is, Blackpool can play without fear, as could Burnley. They go down with a bang and friends made, it is not a disaster, they return to the Championship with debts paid off, a good side for the division and their wage structure intact.

Alternatively, relegation would be an utter disaster for us. ST prices would have to shoot up, crowds would drop dramatically, any decent player would in all likelyhood be sold, the wage bill would cripple us. Charlton, Boro, Norwich, Leicester spring to mind.

Do I think the Sam way is the only way? No, but the club has to employ someone who they feel has the best chance of avoiding the drop each year, without a takeover the club is in a massively precarious position and we can't compare ourselves to Blackpool.

The BBC web site says:

"However, any notion that the Reds are in a false position was dispelled in the most part by a joyful Blackpool side, who blended a work-rate and commitment with some slick passing to celebrate a first win at Anfield since 1967.

There was a joie de vivre about Blackpool's play as they relished playing at Anfield for the first time since January 1971 and Adam had a powerful 20-yard free-kick blocked away by keeper Pepe Reina early on."

I've forgotten what its like to support a team whose players look like they're enjoying themselves.

What? You've forgotten last week already? Makes our result look pretty good.

OH MY GOD!!!!

How awesome are Blackpool? Wish we were as good as them - no wonder they beat us last week - they're heading for the Champions League & we will end up heading for the Blue Square league like Bradford...

We did well to come away from Bloomfield with just a 2-1 defeat...

Talking of Liverpool and Roy Hodgson, I remember some folk saying they thought Rovers sacked him too early. Goodness knows why they thought that, because as a manager here, he was a disaster. Sold quality players and replaced them with poor players. Defeats at home to Stockport in the league cup and Southampton in the league were enough to see him sacked. At club level, as far as I can see, he's only really had success in Sweden and Denmark. I remember the Inter President commenting that Hodgsons time at the club was disappointing. I can't see why he's so highly rated as a club manager.

Make no mistake, IMO he wont sort Liverpool out, he'll get sacked.

Talking of Liverpool and Roy Hodgson, I remember some folk saying they thought Rovers sacked him too early. Goodness knows why they thought that, because as a manager here, he was a disaster. Sold quality players and replaced them with poor players. Defeats at home to Stockport in the league cup and Southampton in the league were enough to see him sacked. At club level, as far as I can see, he's only really had success in Sweden and Denmark. I remember the Inter President commenting that Hodgsons time at the club was disappointing. I can't see why he's so highly rated as a club manager.

Surely you haven't forgotten his work at Fulham already?

Some of the football Rovers played in 97/98 was sensational and we qualified for Europe. Like many footie managers, he lost the plot when he was given more money than he knew how to play with. That's why we ended up paying stupid money for players like Davies, Dailly, Blake etc. Without that cash, he would have been forced to find bargains.

Surely you haven't forgotten his work at Fulham already?

Some of the football Rovers played in 97/98 was sensational and we qualified for Europe. Like many footie managers, he lost the plot when he was given more money than he knew how to play with. That's why we ended up paying stupid money for players like Davies, Dailly, Blake etc. Without that cash, he would have been forced to find bargains.

What a strange thing to say. He would have been a good manager if we hadn't given him money to replace top players - that scenario would have brought success?

Do you mean bargains like Oumar Konde and Anders Anderson?

What a strange thing to say. He would have been a good manager if we hadn't given him money to replace top players - that scenario would have brought success?

Do you mean bargains like Oumar Konde and Anders Anderson?

I'm saying that managers with a tighter budget have to exercise more caution in the transfer market. They have to make every penny count, instead of making frivolous signings. Souness proved as much, with the value for money bargains he made, compared to his big-money signings.

That's not the only reason Hodgson ultimately failed, but it was a key factor.

Burnley were still playing well this time last season and I think they were also ahead of us in the league. If Blackpool finish the season ahead of us we will be relegated, and I do not expect that to happen.

The key difference being Coyle walked out on Burnley at Christmas. Who knows how much better they might have done had he stayed?

Against all the odds Holloway seems to have given Blackpool a puncher's chance. They'll take a few drubbings probably, but are playing such good stuff they may pick a few wins as well.

As for Woy I always thought he was all silver tongued bull**** with not much to back him up by way of hard achievements although he did better than I expected at Fulham.

Dearie me, Simon. Blackpool are doing well at present but it won't last. Are you always so gullible ? I recall you were one of the members getting very excited over the Syed takeover when it was obvious to the more realistic (and cynical) of us that it was all too good to be true.

Hodgson only has 4 games to save his ass by the looks.

He's not good enough to deal with the ego's of the top class players,(struggles to control them)he wasn't at Inter and obviously isn't at Liverpool.

He's not getting the best out of the likes of Cole,Rodriguez & Meireles.I can see Similarities with both Inter & Liverpool,He's crushing the Creativity side of Liverpool,just as he did at Inter.

Torres wants away too.I said at the time it was a huge mistake for him to go there,and now it's coming home to roost.Which is quite sad really because he is a decent fella.

Against all the odds Holloway seems to have given Blackpool a puncher's chance. They'll take a few drubbings probably, but are playing such good stuff they may pick a few wins as well.

He said at the start of the season that draws were no good and he'd rather win or lose as it's 3 points for a win and you'd need to draw 3 to get those points. You do sometimes take a beating but you can afford some defeats

Burnley had a great start last season - look at where they are now.

In both cases I think most teams have expected to walk all over the newly promoted play-off winning team and coupled with a powerful determination not to be cannon fodder from these teams has led to some surprise results. I can't see it lasting as teams find them out, like they did with Burnley, and the shortcomings of manager and players start to show. However, unlike Burnley, I think the Tangerines will survive one season and go down next year - and, unlike Burnley, it will be sad to see them go.

Liverpool are unlikely to get relegated, but their season is virtually over. There's no way they have a chance of getting into the top 4. Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Man City and Spurs all have far superior and more confident squads. They won't drop enough points to let Liverpool get in there. Even a Europa League spot seems unlikely.

read my mind, what has he ever done thats so great.

I think the fact he went to Inter for a season once and almost had one year of success has helped him. And based on this is wrongly got the Rovers job.

obviously Fulham he turned from a lower mid table team to a mid table team that got into a cup competition.

Not that I am bitter but I will list the reasons why he will not do well at Liverpool.

Peacock

Dailly

Blake

Davies

Perez

Davidson

Dahlin.

= 25 million spent and gone

having said that in 1998 we had Sutton, Gallacher, Flitcoft, McKinlay who would have completely saved is a$$.

That actually spelled the end of Ray Harfords reign here a couple of years previous, not Woy's.

I agree that we didn't sack him too early, it was the right time as things had been getting progressively worse since around March the season before. Just a shame that we replaced him with someone as hopeless as Brian Kidd as im sure we wouldnt have had those two seasons in the Championship had we replaced him better.

You can't deny that some of the football we played in the first half of that 97/98 season was fantastic though.

That actually spelled the end of Ray Harfords reign here a couple of years previous, not Woy's.

I agree that we didn't sack him too early, it was the right time as things had been getting progressively worse since around March the season before. Just a shame that we replaced him with someone as hopeless as Brian Kidd as im sure we wouldnt have had those two seasons in the Championship had we replaced him better.

You can't deny that some of the football we played in the first half of that 97/98 season was fantastic though.

Sorry Mark, you're right on that one.

From Wiki:

However, Hodgson's second season with Blackburn did not live up to the standards of the first: due to numerous injuries, dressing room unrest and a succession of poor buys – notably the £7.5 million Kevin Davies — Blackburn had a disastrous start to the season and Hodgson was sacked in December 1998, with the club bottom of the league table. His final game was a home defeat to Southampton.

It couldn't have got much worse.

• Backroom

Savour their failings while they last. The annoying thing is that, even if Paul Ince was in charge, they'd get out of this based on a good quality squad. :glare:

Their squad is average quality at best, but they will get out of it. Plenty of below-average teams that will inevitably begin to slide down the league once fatigue begins to kick in around December time and Liverpool will scrape points together. They'll finish mid-table IMO, and probably be there for a while to come.

There's little chance of Liverpool being relegated, but it's not impossible. Didn't we prove that in 98/99? Top Six team under Hodgson transformed into relegation fodder overnight, star players out-of-sorts, quality replaced with inferior substitutes, and they have even less financial muscle to get out of it! It really would be a giant killing.

Archived