BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland Preview - 20:00 Monday 18th October

colin

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funnily enough I think the red card was fair on this occasion. The 'professional' foul is where it should be used, it was a cynical foul. Where I think its unfair is in situations like the Samba red card at Villa in the semi last season. Yes it was a penalty, but that was punishment enough, to give a red card as well was disproportionate.

It's like the Gomez sending off for Spurs yesterday. He's made a genuine attempt to get the ball. Inter got a penalty and a red card out of it - utter madness. Samba clearly was making a genuine attempt to win the ball on Monday - yes it was clumsy, but it wasn't cynical.

It's like the Gomez sending off for Spurs yesterday. He's made a genuine attempt to get the ball. Inter got a penalty and a red card out of it - utter madness. Samba clearly was making a genuine attempt to win the ball on Monday - yes it was clumsy, but it wasn't cynical.

From my angle I saw that Samba tugged the lad's shirt as he was going past him, and like Phil Thompson in a league cup final for Liverpool about 30 years ago, he made sure it was outside the box too - I do think that was cynical. I know they all do it, but I honestly thought it warranted a red, and I'm the most biased Roverite there is, especially where refereeing decisions going against us are concerned. Had Bramble done that to Kalinic we would've been screaming for him to go off. I haven't heard what either manager or the TV pundits said about it so I might be in a minority on that one.

I'm not sure how you get round the 'double punishment' situation, but it does spoil games at times and arguably cost us a trip to Wembley last season.

:o What? Gomes could quite easily have broken the Inter player's leg. It was a shocking tackle. Worst injury from Samba might have been a chinese burn around Welbeck's neck. Both deserved to go, but such punishments ruin a game for the spectators and the millions warching TV. Both should be dealt with by a 15 min period in a sin bin followed by a compulsory substitition and to stop 'tactical' actions should be subject to the current match suspension rule.

btw How long suspension will Gomes get? Was it violent conduct of did the ref downgrade it to a professional foul? I know which foul I'd rather face.

Once again Thenodrug spot on. We remarked on Monday evening that Samba's cock up was a sin bin offence. Or an Orange card as I have said before!

When Jimmy Hill persuaded the FIFA rules committee to bring in the 'last person' red card offence it was for acts of deliberate fouling with menaces after some Arsenal player brought down a Man U player in an 80s Cup Final(I think) and certainly not goalkeepers or tame offences.

Both deserved to go, but such punishments ruin a game for the spectators and the millions warching TV. Both should be dealt with by a 15 min period in a sin bin followed by a compulsory substitition and to stop 'tactical' actions should be subject to the current match suspension rule.

I was trying to make the same point to Rev at half time Gord, but I'm not sure he got where I was coming from. To the rules, Samba had to go - no doubts about that. Sometimes though, I'd love to get back to the days when we had Fred Pickering and Tony Singleton on the floor, exchanging punches, but the referee had the option to just sort 'em out and get on with a proper, full bloodied, eleven a side game. No harm was done and the fans got true value for money. Absolutely fed up with so many games being absolutely ruined because the ref has to send off a player for next to nothing.

I know why the rules are the way they are, but to some people it's just another big reason to go and spend money somewhere else on a Saturday afternoon.

Quite dissappointed with our current play, did we actually make their keeper make a decent save??

Dont get me wrong we are never gonna be a Barcelona.. But the thing is every time we play football we look decent?!

Am all up for playing 4-5-1 but as long as it turns into a 4-3-3 when we are attacking!!... We need to utilise the likes of Hoillett and diouf much much more!!

Spanish fans laughing at Rovers.

Scroll down to "Laughing stock......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1323033/Des-Kelly-Wayne-Rooney-prove-deserves-new-deal.html

Where does it say they were laughing at Rovers? From reading that article I got the impression they were laughing at Cattermole's dive.

"When Lee Cattermole hurled himself through the air in what could be the most artless dive ever seen, the place dissolved in hysterics"

Load of crap. For somone whose language skills aren't up to conversing with spaniards he appeared to easily understand every insult and slur that a few dago bar flies came out with. Spanish football? Take away the ludicrous Real Madrid and Barca and your left with the Scottish Prem. In fact count them in and it is the Scottish Prem. Best thing about the problems of MU and Lpool and the qualities of the newly promoted teams is that real competition is being restored to the top division.

btw They advised him to watch Real v AC in the Chamions league, thats completely irrelevent why did they not tell him to go back for Almeria v Levante or Hercules v Zaragoza?

That Des Kelly bloke's a wimp. His boss shouldn't underwrite his expenses for foreign trips anymore but rather send him to watch Scottish football until he toughens up.

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived