BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland Preview - 20:00 Monday 18th October

colin

Pedersen's not had many shots on target but he's had a couple of decent games, a couple of average games and I don't like saying this but he's not had a poor game this season, which is why I disagree with the above comment, he hasn't had a bad performance and he's our main threat from set-pieces.

He was #### against Stoke.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Pedersens an easy target but the fact is he has played no worse than most of our attacking players yet he often gets singled out.

For what it's worth I think most of them have been pretty crap recently without the likes of samba we'd be in trouble.

Hope dunny can get back fit but as of now his new contract is a far bigger mistake than pedersens

He was #### against Stoke.

I tend to agree with Sky Sports' player ratings and for the Stoke game they said - Morten Gamst Pedersen (7) Deliveries were good. Only Paul Robinson who got a better rating.

Pedersens an easy target but the fact is he has played no worse than most of our attacking players yet he often gets singled out.

Pedersen gets stick because he's been pathetically average for season after season. Making him a top-earner just added insult to injury.

You might mellow towards him if you remove his picture from your dartboard.

He is a valuable member of the team.

Don't agree, and I think his presence only encourages our rigid style of playing. He can't play left wing anymore (with any impact), and he's no centre-midfielder.

People only defend him for the same reasons as Andrews, they like to stick up with the little guy.

• Backroom

Yeah, cause the only way to improve the team is to keep average players and give 'em a payrise.

I'm only messing, I've been away so haven't seen how he has performed recently. I will say however I thought he was one of our most valuable assets last season even when most thought he was crap.

Also looking at our dealings in the last few windows its scary to think what would have happened had we let him go

There's a reason why Pedersen takes the majority of our set-pieces and I'm guessing it's because Sam thinks he's the best at taking them, that's why I think he should be in the team.

Just going back to what RVR said,

"Pedersen and Olsson don't deserve to be in the side"

Pedersen's not had many shots on target but he's had a couple of decent games, a couple of average games and I don't like saying this but he's not had a poor game this season, which is why I disagree with the above comment, he hasn't had a bad performance and he's our main threat from set-pieces.

Of course, cos Sam's never wrong is he? :rolleyes:

So given that Dunn will be in the side when he's fit, who do you drop? If Dunny's fit, and we are to play 4-2-3-1, my team would be:

.....................Robbo

Salgado Nelsen Samba Givet

.............Jones....N'Zonzi

EHD............Dunn............Olsson

....................Niko

I just don't see where MGP gets in. EHD and Dunny are equally as good at free-kicks, arguably better at corners, and Givet can take a long throw. Maybe if we were a bit more adventurous and went 4-1-4-1 he'd get in, but even then I'd be tempted to give Junior a go and move EHD more central.

Jones in CM doesn't do it for me at all, rather Grella there if fit (yeah right) maybe even Goulon if he signs and is up to task

Jones has been our best central midfielder this season by a country mile, which shows two things - (1) he's the best player our youth system has produced since the halcyon days of Dunn, Duff etc, and (2) how p*ss-poor the rest of them have been when they've been overshadowed by an 18-year-old central defender playing out of position!

whatever formation we play or personnel we go with one thing remains we need to win this one by hook or by crook and whoever the owners are by Jan if it is as some say tighter than a ducks a*** we need to spend and spend big in January otherwise we could end up like Boro dwindling crowds and a return to the wilderness if the league table is anything to go by.

this is quite the excellent article, and gets right at the heart of the problem with today's football. http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/8455047.Blackburn_Rovers_see_gulf_in_cash_with_Sunderland/?ref=mr

We all expect or really want to beat Sunderland...yet two of their players, Bent and Gyan, cost more than our entire team pretty much. And this isn't Manchester United or Chelsea we're talking about...this is Sunderland.

We really need to win this one. We're a bit too close to the relegation zone for my liking, and against a Sunderland side who aren't great away from home and possibly missing Bent - well if you don't win this type of game you're in for a long hard season.

Sam has the knack of winning the must win games, and I've a feeling that since this falls into that category we'll scrape the three points.

My team -

Robbo

Salgado Samba Nelsen Givet

Jones N'Zonzi

EH Diouf Peds Olsson

Kalinic

Hopefully with Olsson and an in form Diouf plus Peds supporting we should get enough bodies forward to support the lone striker. I'd be quite tempted to slot Emerton into the centre mid instead of Jones and make a hard choice between either Jones or Nelesen at centre back.

Personally I think we have few options - very few swaps would make descernable differences to our team - well perhaps make it worse. Dunn hasn't looked at all fit, and sadly I think his best role is going to be an impact sub, our plan B al la Tugay was a few years back. No way has he got the fitness to last 45 minutes, much less 60 or more. If we can play like 1st half vs Arsenal or how we played vs Birmingham, I've a feeling even without Dunn in the centre of the midfield we could acquit ourselves well. Worryingly we could also play like we did against Fulham or Stoke.

Am going for a nervy 1-0 win to rovers - one of our big lads to score from a set piece.

Hopefully Bent is out – but I doubt he will be.

As for the game, Sunderland keep talking about a big battle and how they need to stand up to us etc…well that worries me, because we don’t really have much aggression in our team anymore.

Tonight we need to pack the midfield when defending/ battling & push on when attacking.

Id go with something similar to Villa away in the cup, where we had 5 in midfield when defending, but wingers pushed up when attacking….Perhaps Ollson & Old Diouf.

Id play Dunn – but in midfield....so central 3 of Dunn, Jones & NZonzi.

Id drop Pedersen for this one to allow us to play all the above 3.

Archived