BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sunderland Preview - 20:00 Monday 18th October

colin

Sam has been on Skysports news saying we need to get back to keeping clean sheets as that was the backbone of our success last season.

Also repeated his oft quoted mantra that we need to start converting more of our chances.

Imho (and I know I'm not a football professional or expert like Sam)that's wrong. The reason we don't score enough goal is because we don't create enough chances - certainly not clear cut ones. We need to start playing better football and hence start creating more chances of which we will convert a percentage.

We were hardly creating chances left right and centre last year.

Keeping clean sheets is a very valid point, we've created enough to take the lead in so many games this season.

I do agree though that better ball retention needs to occur to have a better chance of keeping a clean sheet. Creating chances with our midfield is a task but keeping the ball a bit more shouldnt be.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Quite a decent line up

Robbo

Salgado Samba Givet Olsson

Emerton Jones Nznonzi EH Diouf

Pedersen

Kalinic

Would have liked to see 2 up top but otherwise it looks good

Quite a decent line up

Robbo

Pedersen

Kalinic

I really wish he would play Jones in defence. We looked unbeatable with him at the back.

Quite a decent line up

Robbo

Pedersen

Kalinic

Groan... Jones in midfield.

Groan... Pedersen as the second-striker (he'll probably have a blinder)

Apart from that, not too bad. Let's hope Olsson can make something of himself at left-back.

I wouldn't have put jones in midfield but we don't have too many options with Sam insistent on playing just one up top.

Emerton? Linganzi? Salgado? I reckon all of them could play centre-mid, or at least deserve a chance.

• Backroom

Just had a thought maybe jones is in defence with diouf right olsson left and emerton nzonzi and pedersen in the middle or does that make too much sense?

Robbo

Salgado Samba Jones Givet

EH Diouf Emerton Nznonzi Olsson

Pedersen

Kalinic

Hopefully.

As much as I don't want Jones in midfield, I hope that Olsson is at left back. We desperately need a left back that goes forward, adventurous full backs are required in a 4-2-3-1 system. I pray Olsson has a blinder and makes that position his own.

I can accept Jones in midfield tonight as Dunn, Grella and Andrews aren't fit. When Dunn is fit enough to start I think Pedersen will move backwards into Jones' position.

As much as I don't want Jones in midfield, I hope that Olsson is at left back. We desperately need a left back that goes forward, adventurous full backs are required in a 4-2-3-1 system. I pray Olsson has a blinder and makes that position his own.

I can accept Jones in midfield tonight as Dunn, Grella and Andrews aren't fit. When Dunn is fit enough to start I think Pedersen will move backwards into Jones' position.

Whilst he has done an admirable job in midfield we do need a better passer of the ball in there and Emerton is that. Emerton will work hard and probably has a bit more guile going forward than Jones, as for me when you put him a N'fonzi in the middle we are too deep in the center.

When young Jones has played at the back, we have looked very solid very and I'm concerned we may see him in midfield for a while. Which well isn't something I'd want whilst he's learning his trade.

Olsson at left back, yes I can understand the view point but we desperately need to support our front-man and there no doubting that Olsson can and will do that. If we are to create goal scoring chances which we haven't been doing we need pace somewhere in midfield, Olsson has that attribute.

Archived