BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ins and outs

nicko

Topman, you might be surprised to find that I agree with you. :D

+1 for you.

Roberts aint great that's for sure, but even in the last 20 mins, coming on as a sub, he causes more problems for the opposition back four than all the rest of our strikers do in 90 mins.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackburn striker Jason Roberts is desperate to leave Rovers in a bid to get some regular game time.

Roberts, whose team take on Sunderland at Ewood Park on Monday, told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “Even though I am not involved at the moment because of the manager's decision, from my point of view I am still the same player that finished second in the goalscoring charts last year and second with assists.

I think Roberts deserves a lot of praise for the way he has conducted himself in all of this. He's been frozen out of the team and his attitude is to work hard and try to get back into the managers thoughts.

We talk a lot about players suling when they are dropped but there have been no sour grapes from Roberts and no public slatings of the manager.

Have to say i absolutely disagree. He is a very average striker. His hold-up and finishing is non existant and he makes me so angry when he gives away free kicks all the time and has a grim smile on his face. He is also old and playing him would be hinder the development of our younger players.

Which younger player do we have whose progress Roberts would hinder? Yes, he's frustrating. Yes, I wish he would play the ball instead of always trying to gain free kicks and moaning when he doesn't get them. However, he's better than nothing and if we let him go then we will be even more seriously short of striking options than we are now.

Exactly.

You’ve got to look at our situation though and who else we have on the books – we are not having sleepless nights over his ability and finishing prowess.

However IMO, he has role to play for us at this moment in time, certainly until January.

Says a lot really when we have Jason Roberts being touted as our saviour and more so about our quality up front at this moment in time.

If we had midfield goalscorers Roberts would probably be the ideal striker for the job, he does the donkey work and the midfield put the goals away. Problem is apart from Dunny there is no goal threat whatsoever from midfield. Whilst Niko isn't exactly scoring goals for fun, he looks a more consistent goal threat than Roberts. If there was a half a chance in the box to win the three points i would take Niko over Roberts to put that chance away.

Funny thing is a partnership with Roberts and Niko could maybe work, but Sam will never try that.

Exactly.

You’ve got to look at our situation though and who else we have on the books – we are not having sleepless nights over his ability and finishing prowess.

However IMO, he has role to play for us at this moment in time, certainly until January.

I'm not a fan of Roberts, but-and I have no stats to back me up-he had a good end to last season

He seemed to come on in a number of matches and made a difference.

I would certainly like a replacement lined up before he is replaced.

I think Roberts deserves a lot of praise for the way he has conducted himself in all of this. He's been frozen out of the team and his attitude is to work hard and try to get back into the managers thoughts.

We talk a lot about players suling when they are dropped but there have been no sour grapes from Roberts and no public slatings of the manager.

Sorry Ricky but you're being a little short in your memory of Roberts there. True he is conducting himself reasonably this time, but I remember him throwing his toys out the pram a bit in the past when (shock horror) he wasn't being picked ahead of RSC and Big Mac.

Have to say i absolutely disagree. He is a very average striker. His hold-up and finishing is non existant and he makes me so angry when he gives away free kicks all the time and has a grim smile on his face. He is also old and playing him would be hinder the development of our younger players.

That's what i can't stand most about him. That big smile on his face after he missed another sitter.

The young player that was linked with us, his name was Oscar Hernando. I know there was a story in the Mirror i think, about us winning his signature ahead of Barcelona and Real Madrid. Im not sure however, if he has signed any contract with us. Nicko?

That's what i can't stand most about him. That big smile on his face after he missed another sitter.

Jason always plays with a smile on his face because that is his personality - unlike most footballers he is a very pleasant man.

Jason always plays with a smile on his face because that is his personality - unlike most footballers he is a very pleasant man.

That's fine, I have nothing wrong with playing with a smile but must he do that after he miss another sitter? He must be the only striker (professional) I know that do that! :angry:

That's fine, I have nothing wrong with playing with a smile but must he do that after he miss another sitter? He must be the only striker (professional) I know that do that! :angry:

Theirry Henry used to laugh when he missed chances. Miserable get when he scored. Go figure!

• Backroom

Have we actually signed him? I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

Not yet but should be soon according to nicko.

It's dragged on a while now though

Shame Roberts wasn't there for Benjani's spooned effort on Monday. At least J-Rob would've blasted it straight at the keeper from that position.

Shot on target.

One for the stats.

Archived