BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Britains Fund the Taliban claims Taliban Commander

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More possible bombs on planes tonight..lovely people are they not.eh bucky

Might as well take this thread off on a tangent.

A pal of mine is into his conspiracy theories, 9/11, 7/7 you know the type! :wacko: I usually pat him on his head and send him on his way, however he said a couple of months ago that the White House would issue a terror alert on the eve of the midterm elections in the US- ie to shore up flagging support and get the country behind the President and his party.

I turn on the news tonight-

Yemen Alert

Interesting, no?

total nonsense statement.

Here we go again - because we disagree?

I've lived and worked in Blackburn with both "English" and "Asian" people and usually find the Asians far more honest, hospitable and hard working. A true credit to the town.

• Backroom

A pal of mine is into his conspiracy theories, 9/11, 7/7 you know the type! :wacko: I usually pat him on his head and send him on his way, however he said a couple of months ago that the White House would issue a terror alert on the eve of the midterm elections in the US- ie to shore up flagging support and get the country behind the President and his party.

Yemen Alert

Interesting, no?

At their core certain conspiracy theories are based on likely truths - for example, that the US Government, or indeed any major Government would seize advantage of mass fear to take away the civil liberties of citizens in order to make them more obidient, or nudge them towards voting in a certain way. Problem is, the conspiracy theories often go way too far - for example, suggesting the US Government were behind 9/11. Did they take advantage of the situation and do they continue to do so to strengthen their power over their citizens? Most likely. Did they actually cause 9/11? Very unlikely.

I've lived and worked in Blackburn with both "English" and "Asian" people and usually find the Asians far more honest, hospitable and hard working. A true credit to the town.

As I have said on an other thread, on an individual level, I find most people of all backgrounds decent to deal with.

however, my point on the fact Blackburn has changed drastically in just 40 years is not up for debate. The fact that Muslim primary school children are now a majority in the town, that the white population continues to leave, that it is now becoming rare to sell a house to a non-Muslim across the whole of north Blackburn are not positive developments.

It just proves that the two cultures do not and seemingly cannot live connected lives.

Yemen Alert

Interesting, no?

It is interesting, but you could also argue a good time for terrorists to get maximum exposure would be to disrupt an election in the US.

The entire world`s political media is focussing on the mid-term elections over there.

Thats complete nonsense 92er. St Wilfrids could be twice as big as it currently is with 1400 places and still not satisfy demand from local CofE families, yet it has to admit a quota of muslim children. I do think this is probably right but it must cut both ways.

Bang on the money 'drog.

Funnily enough I was at the Open Evening a few weeks back (my daughter leaves this year and it's her school of choice) and the head Mr White felt duty bound to point out (probably due to the 50% attendance of muslim parents) that there was no quota system for 'other' religions and that if you attend church weekly you would be accepted but fortnightly you may struggle as they are over subscribed every year.

Found that statement strange as there are obviously Muslim children already at the school so why should fortnightly attendance at church be overlooked for said 'other' religions? I later found out anecdotally through others that his statement of there being no quotas is total ######.

Must admit it was funny to look around at the desperate non-attempts to say the Lord's Prayer at the beginning of the presentation though.

• Backroom

+1 to all three of the above posts... if religion has to be practiced it should be done at home or at the church/mosque/wherever else. Doesn't mean children can't learn about religion as it is clearly an important part of our world - for better or more frequently for worse - but there's a difference between learning and practicing, and all schools should avoid blurring that line.

+1 to all three of the above posts... if religion has to be practiced it should be done at home or at the church/mosque/wherever else. Doesn't mean children can't learn about religion as it is clearly an important part of our world - for better or more frequently for worse - but there's a difference between learning and practicing, and all schools should avoid blurring that line.

It's a shame that the opposite is true in reality. The major religions know that if they don't get them young they aren't going to get them. State sponsored brainwashing.

"Give me the boy until the age of seven, I will give you the man."

In a nutshell

It's a shame that the opposite is true in reality. The major religions know that if they don't get them young they aren't going to get them. State sponsored brainwashing.

"Give me the boy until the age of seven, I will give you the man."

In a nutshell

I think you may be taking that Jesuit statement out of context but no matter Bucky I get your drift.

And along that line.... Which fully grown sane individual could possibly ever believe a couple of teenagers who said that the girl had got pregnant by immaculate conception? :rolleyes:

I can only assume that the benefit system in those days would be more advantageous if they could prove that an illegitimate birth was actually the second coming, although Mary must have felt well let down when the man from the council put her in a stable! Still better to tell a porky and live in a stable than die by stoning eh?

It is quite ironic that the US seperates school and religion, yet Christanity seems to be getting stronger, whilst long established church schools in Britain have not stopped the march of secularism.

Catholic and c of E faith schools are only so popular because they usually offer better grades at the end of five years.

Parents and pupils do not give a monkeys (in the main) about the religous aspect. As for brainwashing, I went to Catholic schools, cannot think of one former classmate that went to church back then- so I wouldn't have thought many of them do now.

Anyway, bring back grammar and technical schools, improve state comprehensives and make faith schools obsolete.

Bang on the money 'drog.

Funnily enough I was at the Open Evening a few weeks back (my daughter leaves this year and it's her school of choice) and the head Mr White felt duty bound to point out (probably due to the 50% attendance of muslim parents) that there was no quota system for 'other' religions and that if you attend church weekly you would be accepted but fortnightly you may struggle as they are over subscribed every year.

Found that statement strange as there are obviously Muslim children already at the school so why should fortnightly attendance at church be overlooked for said 'other' religions? I later found out anecdotally through others that his statement of there being no quotas is total ######.

Must admit it was funny to look around at the desperate non-attempts to say the Lord's Prayer at the beginning of the presentation though.

My elder brother, sister & myself all had trouble getting in to "Wilfs". We all went to a known Wilfrids 'feeder' school & lived within sight of the school. Our parents had to go to church every week go gain the vicar`s signature of approval & yet we still got turned down by the school. Only a strong letter of protest & an appeal before the school board got us accepted.

My sister had the same problem with her 3 offspring. Only a wealthy & 'connected' grand-mother got the school to change their decision.

Granted, this was many years ago :unsure:

The best, best, best, example I can give of quality young people of Asian decent in Blackburn, is, in the O2 store in the Mall, along with a chap called Imy from carphone warehouse. These guys and gals offer absolute top customer service and are a credit not only to their businesses, but to the town of Blackburn and their parents aswell.

My elder brother, sister & myself all had trouble getting in to "Wilfs". We all went to a known Wilfrids 'feeder' school & lived within sight of the school. Our parents had to go to church every week go gain the vicar`s signature of approval & yet we still got turned down by the school. Only a strong letter of protest & an appeal before the school board got us accepted.

My sister had the same problem with her 3 offspring. Only a wealthy & 'connected' grand-mother got the school to change their decision.

Granted, this was many years ago :unsure:

This is along the lines of what I was getting at in my previous post-I'm sure that around 30 years ago the School was oversubscribed by potential pupils who attended Church regularly.

Allegedly the powers that be favoured people coming from rural schools over those from the urban ones.

This is along the lines of what I was getting at in my previous post-I'm sure that around 30 years ago the School was oversubscribed by potential pupils who attended Church regularly.

Allegedly the powers that be favoured people coming from rural schools over those from the urban ones.

I think the board of governors at Wilfs looked favourably on people with a bit of dosh & influence. Many many kids were bussed in from the ribble valley, Harwood, Padiham & even Bumley.

I attended wilfs in the early-mid 80s. They had a 'mock' general election one year & nearly 90% of all the kids voted Conservative. Strange being that Blackburn is traditionally a Labour stronghold.

I wonder what the result would`ve been if Witton Park or Shadsworth schools had done mock elections?

I think the board of governors at Wilfs looked favourably on people with a bit of dosh & influence. Many many kids were bussed in from the ribble valley, Harwood, Padiham & even Bumley.

Still are but its important to note that St.Wilfrids is the main secondary school for the diocese of Blackburn whose area takes in the above areas an area that stretches outside of the borough of Blackburn with Darwen.

Its interesting to see the C of E parents in Darwen are more willing to send their kids to the church school, Canon Slade in Bolton, rather than St.Wilfs in Blackburn.

With many Asian background kids in Blackburn C of E schools the parents of these kids still have to prove their consistant and continued church attendance.

Its interesting to see the C of E parents in Darwen are more willing to send their kids to the church school, Canon Slade in Bolton, rather than St.Wilfs in Blackburn.

Is that partly because they have more chance of getting them into Canon Slade rather than Wilfs?

Archived