BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who do you want as manager

I thought Sam signed a 3 year contract (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Allardyce) so if i'm not wrong, his contract will end this season right? ^_^

In that case, i say stick with him till the end of the season and if the takeover materialises, get a replacement in the summer when there's more choices. It'll also allow JW (and Rovers) to keep our good guys image and give Sam a chance to step down elegantly rather than get the sack (pretty sure that will happen sooner or later after a takeover).

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary Megson - because every club's fans should go through the experience for a season or two. ;)

Seriously though, there's not been a single better option fotr you on this thread than Allardyce. He's still doing a good job for you on a limited budget, in my opinion. Clubs like you (and us!) just don't have that many options. I think we got lucky with Coyle, by the way.

I wouldn't be suprised to see new owners look abroad if Kentaro are involved.

someone like Martin Jol would appear on our radar I think.

Di Matteo is also looking a very good prospect

I have to agree with you on Di Matteo.

Seriously though, there's not been a single better option fotr you on this thread than Allardyce. He's still doing a good job for you on a limited budget, in my opinion. Clubs like you (and us!) just don't have that many options.

Exactly. Not that the ninnies on here will ever understand that.

Assuming the takeover goes through, I can see the expiration of Sam's contract looking a convenient way for the new owners to signal a new beginning. I'd be surprised if Sam were to be offered a new contract.I wouldn't mind either way but I think that's the way it will go.

As for the club being in freefall, this was entirely down to the management as far as I am concerned. Allardyce inherited Hughes team, swapping Friedel, Warnock, Bentley and Santa Cruz for Robinson (didn't even have to sign him himself), a more mature Olsson and a Givet, Diouf and Kalinic. The only man really missing is Tugay. These changes have not made us inept at playing football. Allardcye has.

The current calibre of players at Rovers is higher than people are led to believe. Think logically instead of believing the Allardyce cult of personality. Our failings now are born out of Alladyce's tactics, not the quality of our players. If they were allowed to play football, combined with the strength many have, we would be able to finish 15th comfortably, and possibly push for 10th at a stretch. I would rather watch football in 15th position, than what we are currently watching. Bring on the takeover.

Absolute twaddle.

Think logically? Alright here goes....

1. Applying a little logic to the messages emanating from Ewood these past few years tells me that we are borassic.

2. We've just had a transfer window close so how many serious bids have we had for any of our players from other Premier League clubs? To public knowledge it's none isn't it? Applying more logic tells me that our players therefore are not of the calibre that you suggest they are.

3. Logically then if we'd had any enquiries we'd have sold them in order to release funds for the manager to strengthen the squad as he was desperate to do.

There I've followed your advice to 'think logically'? Why don't you start by just thinking?

No point he has already got the sack...... :xmas:

So have the majority on your list duffbear.:lol:

All of them gambles, one of which might work but, more likely, fail miserably. Remember Paul Ince - another lower league gamble ?

Rovers in their present straightened circumstances cannot afford to gamble and need a steady experienced hand at the helm. There is no one better than the present incumbent.

Waste of time Jim.... you must know that reasoning, logic and common sense wont work on here. For all the attention that post will receive you may as well have left it blank.

I actually agree with you, Jim.

This has happened twice now and I'm concerned ;)

Me too...... 'You are concerned'? How t f do you think I feel Nate? :unsure:

Absolute twaddle.

Think logically? Alright here goes....

1. Applying a little logic to the messages emanating from Ewood these past few years tells me that we are borassic.

2. We've just had a transfer window close so how many serious bids have we had for any of our players from other Premier League clubs? To public knowledge it's none isn't it? Applying more logic tells me that our players therefore are not of the calibre that you suggest they are.

3. Logically then if we'd had any enquiries we'd have sold them in order to release funds for the manager to strengthen the squad as he was desperate to do.

There I've followed your advice to 'think logically'? Why don't you start by just thinking?

Look at the players. They can definitely play football to a 15-12th position quality. I'm not talking playing like Arsenal, but we are capable of playing a lot more football than we are doing with the current squad and finishing safely. I'm also not saying we are on the up. We cannot bring in quality easily due to finances and we have lost players in recent years, obviously. But simply look at the personnel and tell me they aren't capable of passing a ball to the wings, look at the wingers (say, Olsson and Diouf for dribbling, or Pedersen if you want set pieces - he needs confidence to perform though obviously)and say they can't do damage, and look at the defence and goalkeeper and tell me they aren't strong enough in comparison to the rest of the lower half. And then with support for Kalinic it isn't all bad.

Offers from other clubs does not determine how good a player is. Nobody has made a serious bid for Jones - does that make him poor? Same goes for Kalinic, Olsson and Samba. Offers can be an indicator, but it is not always the case.

Offers from other clubs does not determine how good a player is. Nobody has made a serious bid for Jones - does that make him poor? Same goes for Kalinic, Olsson and Samba. Offers can be an indicator, but it is not always the case.

Apart from the 90's it has always been the case since the fall out from the abolishment of the max wage bombshell.

Apart from the 90's it has always been the case since the fall out from the abolishment of the max wage bombshell.

We have certain players our squad, I am simply looking at what they are capable of doing for us right now, and what they are not being allowed to do under the current system.

And anyway, how many offers did we have for Tugay down the years?

Some Turks were interested to bring him home, but nothing from better clubs than us. And he was very valuable to us.

We have certain players our squad, I am simply looking at what they are capable of doing for us right now, and what they are not being allowed to do under the current system.

And anyway, how many offers did we have for Tugay down the years?

Some Turks were interested to bring him home, but nothing from better clubs than us. And he was very valuable to us.

People bang on about us being more creative but we don't have players with any creativity whatsoever apart from the lumbering Dunny (who is costing us about 200k per match). We are so poor at creating that the opposition could play without a keeper. To play to our weaknesses would be suicidal ..... if thats not offensive to miker.

People bang on about us being more creative but we don't have players with any creativity whatsoever apart from the lumbering Dunny (who is costing us about 200k per match). We are so poor at creating that the opposition could play without a keeper. To play to our weaknesses would be suicidal ..... if thats not offensive to miker.

We need to find creativity through a different way. All of our midfielders are capable of finding a man with a short pass, and this is why we need to get it to the players who can do things, like those I mentioned earlier.

We are playing to our weaknesses now, since the midfield doesn't have the legs to support the attack. That is the problem. We play long ball to an isolated striker who isn't a target man. I want to see more of the goal we scored against Arsenal. Not all the time, but sometimes.

Rovers in their present straightened circumstances cannot afford to gamble and need a steady experienced hand at the helm. There is no one better than the present incumbent.

* straitened.

"Incumbent" is a good word, given his great big cumbersome head.

I'd let fat lad manage until the end of the season (but I wouldn't let him spend too much money), fire him from a cannon and let someone else take charge. Someone whose idea of forward-thinking doesn't amount to having his voice boom out Darth Vader-style on the stadium PA, getting the players to do Tai Chi, and taking them out to play darts if they're looking jaded.

Well, I'm not too suprised this thread has opened, even after an excellent season last season. Sam's style is never going to attract, and when results don't go as planned given Sam's style people are going to be a lot less forgiving and a lot more worried, quicker. As we're hovering just above the relegation zone this was pretty inevitable.

My worry with Sam is that he's a one trick manager, and teams are beginning to cotton on to us, and to be able to deal with that trick. The less effective this trick or tactic becomes, the more we are going to struggle. Other teams are using the same tactic as us, and it still works. But the reason for that is that they're getting better and better players for doing that tactic. So even though other teams may be adjusting to it, the team employing these long ball tactics are able to still pull it off often enough to be successful, because of the they have the players to make it work.

Problem is that costs money. And Rovers don't have that. So Sam needs to be given funds to taylor a team suited to this style of play, or we need a manager who can find players and a system which would work more effectively given little money.

Thing is I'm not sure either of these will or can happen. Sam won't get money, and I'm not sure who else could manage us better on a shoe-string budget. There are people out there who seem to be able to do it - Holloway, Coyle, Di Matteo (although all three still have a fair bit to prove) - but finding them is very difficult. And for every time it works out, you could get an Ince. And if the future isn't too bright under Sam, another Ince or someone of his ilk will finish the club for good.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying I'm not sure there's a viable option out there at the moment other than sticking with Sam. I'm not sure how good an option that is either truth be told - as we don't seem to have a team particularly suited to playing his way of things. But realistically, unless the board can root out a managerial hidden gem, I don't think we've any option but to wait for Sam to come good.

Pretty much all the names mentioned bar Poyet have very mixed records, Rodgers, Sousa, Newell, Shearer, and would all represent a massive gamble. Things aren't great at the moment, but I do think if we gamble on another unproven manager we could be risking far too much.

wow, no love for my Jurgen Klinsmann idea, quite surprised. There aren't many former players looking to be coaches with more name recognition than he...

If they were looking for a new manager, Jurgen would be my type of manager, I think he would be half decent, maybe better, I watched Cardiff demolish Leeds last night and they played great stuff, maybe Dave Jones could be one, however, for the present season, would it be wise to change?

wow, no love for my Jurgen Klinsmann idea, quite surprised. There aren't many former players looking to be coaches with more name recognition than he...

The guy had bayern struggling to qualify for the champs league and was sacked. How does that indicate he could do a job for us?

If they were looking for a new manager, Jurgen would be my type of manager, I think he would be half decent, maybe better, I watched Cardiff demolish Leeds last night and they played great stuff, maybe Dave Jones could be one, however, for the present season, would it be wise to change?

Whilst I understand what you are saying, Cardiff are one of the best teams in the Championship and it's easier for them to play good football.

He'd be a person to look at if we weren't getting investment.

Archived