BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Venkys Discussion

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I agree. And as you'll see from many of my posts, I enjoy tom foolery as much as yourself, or the next poster.

But, in my opinion, this is actually an important and serious facet of the takeover.

As an English club playing in an English league, I do feel that ethical considerations should be taken into account when choosing an appropriate buyer. Intensive animal husbandry, outwith the welfare standards set for our own kind, doesn't sit comfortably with me. I do appreciate that many here would consider this issue a relatively benign aspect to the potential buyers portfolio, especially when compared to some previous EPL owners, and maybe it's just me, but I'd personally have someone on board with the guilty failings of unpaid council tax, than the VH group.

What exactly concerns you about their methods?

another side to the business is pharmaceuticals which helps to achieve better health for chickens.

Well, it does prevent the spread of disease, so, in a way, yes - you are right.

But this is just so that they can cram 'em in harder without the risk of pathogen transmission.

But another side to the business is pharmaceuticals which helps to achieve the opposite of what you are suggesting.

This doesn't reflect well, in the blurb it says...

PETA India obtained graphic video footage documenting the following at a Venkateshwara Hatcheries farm, which supplies KFC India:

* Chickens were stuffed into extremely crowded warehouses, where they had to push and shove in order to reach their food.

* Birds were bred to grow so large so quickly that many suffered in agony when their weak legs could not support their weight.

* Barns were littered with the carcasses of chickens who died from fatal diseases.

* Many sick and injured chickens never received medical attention.

* Chickens suffered at the hands of callous workers who neglected to observe even minimum animal welfare standards.

With that in mind, if you're an animal lover, think about whether you want to view this.

As an English club playing in an English league, I do feel that ethical considerations should be taken into account when choosing an appropriate buyer. Intensive animal husbandry, outwith the welfare standards set for our own kind, doesn't sit comfortably with me. I do appreciate that many here would consider this issue a relatively benign aspect to the potential buyers portfolio, especially when compared to some previous EPL owners, and maybe it's just me, but I'd personally have someone on board with the guilty failings of unpaid council tax, than the VH group.

How is this relevant? Is it ok if it's an Italian club?

What exactly concerns you about their methods?

If you already buy free range, as stated above, then you probably already share my concerns.

How is this relevant? Is it ok if it's an Italian club?

We arguably have the highest standards of welfare in the world (Britain). I'd like us to see it kept that way.

This doesn't reflect well, in the blurb it says...

With that in mind, if you're an animal lover, think about whether you want to view this.

Truly barbarous. Can't say I'm that chuffed about the prospect of paying cold, hard cash into the pockets of people directly responsible for such suffering.

It's a sad world we live in.

First we had the bogus info about a loan.

Second we have the chicken is murder line.

I suspect fowl play...

At first I thought you meant this until I saw the play on words.

Seriously though, it's a valid point. Do we really want our club to be associated with this kind of thing? For example Goldberg had a field day with a few fines and an untidy bedsit. This appears to be animal cruelty on quite a large scale. I found it because someone earlier in the thread suggested visiting YouTube and searching for Venky's Chicken. I did and it brought up a corporate video along with quite a few expose videos.

These are obviously produced to smear KFC rather than Venky's.

At first I thought you meant this until I saw the play on words.

Seriously though, it's a valid point. Do we really want our club to be associated with this kind of thing? For example Goldberg had a field day with a few fines and an untidy bedsit. This appears to be animal cruelty on quite a large scale. I found it because someone earlier in the thread suggested visiting YouTube and searching for Venky's Chicken. I did and it brought up a corporate video along with quite a few expose videos.

These are obviously produced to smear KFC rather than Venky's.

Our previous owners were non-domiciled. Nobody is perfect. In an ideal world they will see how we treat our animals and it might encourage change in the future. As I said though, it's difficult at the moment because if they change to more expensive, ethical methods another company using unethical, low cost method would replace them and put them out of business. The customer drives the business not the other way around.

Our previous owners were non-domiciled. Nobody is perfect. In an ideal world they will see how we treat our animals and it might encourage change in the future. As I said though, it's difficult at the moment because if they change to more expensive, ethical methods another company using unethical, low cost method would replace them and put them out of business. The customer drives the business not the other way around.

I can see what you're saying, I don't think anyone thinks this kind of thing doesn't go on. There's nothing any of us can do to stop it so what's the point in dwelling on it.

Apart from, if I could find those videos in less than a minute, then a third rate journo will already be on it. Right now it's Venky's and KFC being smeared, I just don't want BRFC to be tarred with that brush. Or is that the way these days perhaps and I need to catch up? I suppose Chelsea have to put up with various allegations against their owner.

Get a rich owner, put up with their baggage.

God help us if there's a bird flu pandemic! That'll be something else to blame on Rovers.....

If people do have concerns about the morailty of Venky's I suggest they contact the club's customer service department, I'd be interested to see what they say.... http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/Charter/0,,10303,00.html

Secondly, the more I hear about Venky's the more reticent and wary I become. They seem to have little understanding of football, albeit on the basis of press snapshots. Neither do they seem to comprehend the scale of the task ahead- significant investment is undeniably needed, and not least in the short term to secure the premier league future of our beloved Rovers. A budget of £5m/window isn't going to be enough to allow us to catch up with the middle of the league. Our midfield and forward line is as week as I can remember. In spite of this I am, in principle supportive of the proposed business model- i.e. buying young talent to sell on. Sadly it seems that VH's primary aim is as a marketing device. I'd prefer owner with (even feigned) passion!

*If* 'Uncle' Ali can satisfy the trust he seems to be a significantly better option for the future, however I accept that the trust will make that decision- my argument centers solely on the admittedly scanty information in the public domain, a lot of which is hearsay!

Casting aside all the financial worries about the VH Group purchase with it's many questions and very little answers (at the moment), I sit here feeling more uncomfortable about the VH Groups main revenue stream... This being the poultry farming industry and it's well known, publicised, barbaric treatment of animals...

It doesn't sit well at all with my conscience knowing that the possible future owners of the football team I love and support through thick and thin will be owned by these type of people, not at all.

:(

Posted the very same concerns yesterday morning in the previous thread as some are doing today, it is a moral consideration.

I really do think we ought to stop this stupid condemnation of whoever takes control of our football club.

Whichever industry, we would if we delved into things, would find the more successful companies have some dark areas!

To be quite honest, battery hens are the least of our problems!!

Archived