BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ronnie Clayton

Manc Rover

Never got the chance to see him play. However, his name was always mentioned with the history of Blackburn Rovers. I wish I did get the chance to see him play, because he seems like one of the professionals we seem to lack in this day and age.

There's only one Ronnie Clayton! brfcsmilie.gif

I would like to pass on my condolences to his family from myself and from all the Rovers fans.

RIP.tinykit.gif

I started watching Rovers in the late 50s and was priviliged to see Ronnie Clayton play for us. He was a genuine class act, and a loyal servant to the club. The game has moved on a lot from those days, some good things some bad things, but one thing is sure - we will never see his like again at Ewood. Forgive me if I've told this story before but some of our younger supporters will find the following hard to believe. I've maybe got one or two details wrong but I'll never forget the day.

I was standing in the old Darwen End watching Rovers play Sheffield Wednesday in a 6th round Cup game I think in 1966. Ronnie was getting near the end of his career and instead of playing right half ( midfield)he was playing at right back. The legs were starting to go. Their left winger got the ball and headed towards our goal with Ronnie running alongside. Everyone could see he was too quick for Ronnie and we were all shouting "bring him down" or words to that effect.... You could almost see the despair in Ronnie's face but he just couldn't bring himself to commit a "professional foul", it just wasn't in his nature. If I remember rightly the guy went on to score and we lost the match. Over the years I've often thought about that day and remembered what a true gentleman Ronnie Clayton was.

It's a sad day for his family, for Blackburn Rovers and for football.

Ronnie - thanks for the memories.

• Like 1

couple of pathe videos ive managed to find, im hopeful they'll be more (remember seeing a video of rovers in 58 semi final wearing striped shirts?)

hope the club to something as a memorial and perminant reminder to him. maybe retire a shirt number in his honour... (might be difficult cos players had many numbers in those days)

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=41425

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=41696

i feel privilaged to have met him on several occasions. (my dad used to clean his boots)

footballing genius. but more importantly he loved the rovers. was loyal, humble, gentleman a real man of the people.

grand fella.

couple of pathe videos ive managed to find, im hopeful they'll be more (remember seeing a video of rovers in 58 semi final wearing striped shirts?)

hope the club to something as a memorial and perminant reminder to him. maybe retire a shirt number in his honour... (might be difficult cos players had many numbers in those days)

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=41425

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=41696

i feel privilaged to have met him on several occasions. (my dad used to clean his boots)

footballing genius. but more importantly he loved the rovers. was loyal, humble, gentleman a real man of the people.

grand fella.

Here Zaccaius. If you type Blackburn rovers into the search box, you will find quite a few clips showing Ronnie, albeit briefly.

I never saw him play but like many others I saw Ronnie Clayton around Ewood many times. No airs or graces, he always had time to share a word and a smile as he cheerily went on his way.

One day my son and I where coming out of the club shop, Ronnie walked up behind us had a quick word before striding away, I cant remember what was said. Jack asked me who that was and I told him it was Ronnie Clayton former England captain, he was mightily impressed.

Proper football clubs are all about people and Ronnie Clayton was the most proper of people.

What can you say about Ronnie? A Preston lad who became more Blackburn than anyone born in the town. He was a magnificent ambassador for the Rovers in his latter years as anyone who met him will testify. As a player he was amongst the greatest Rovers to wear Blue and White and as an England international deserved the recognition his country gave him.

He graced the role of captain whether for club or country, in a way that some of the current generation would never be able to comprehend. England was always proud of him and never ashamed.

A true gentleman, our thoughts go out to Val, his wife. God bless you Mr. Clayton, I hope you are sharing memories with Jack right now.

When we debate Rovers legends on this Board the late Ronnie Clayton will never be disputed as one of the Club's all time greats in its 135 years history. Ronnie and the other 'twin pillar' Dougie were a fixture for over 20 years from 1950 to the late 60s. Their retirement was part of the start of the 'dark' period from 1967 to 1989...and only ended by 'Uncle jack' and the Full Members Cup Final.

Only watching on TV today from far away I will be thinking of his wife Val,his best mate Dougie and the thing he would have wanted above all other things today...a Rovers Win. Gone too soon.

Very sad news. Ronnie was the Rovers captain in the first game I ever saw. When he strode out in front of the Rovers team you could see the pride he had in the club. He was an outstanding wing half, equally skilled at both ends of the pitch and a captain who led by example. He was not the sort that led by shouting and bawling. Later on in his career he moved into the back four and in spite of not being very tall played very well there for a season or two, his reading of the game making up for the march of time. There was a time in the early 60's after he'd lost his place in the England side when he was as good a wing half as there was in the country, but the selectors refused to be proved wrong and re-call him. I never saw him commit a nasty act and the story from the Sheffield Wednesday cup match sums him up. I know for a fact that he was having traction twice a day for a back problem in the week running up to that game.

I met him years later when my son and I did the ground tour and he was kindness itself, nothing was too much trouble. His death is a massive loss to the football world, Rovers and first and foremost his family.

Thanks for all the fantastic memories Ronnie- there'll never be another.

We've had a few great players at Ewood over the years but in my eyes the top two are Ronnie and Dougie. Ronnie was what it was all about to be a Rover he embodied all that was good about our great club. The spirit and tradition that we stand for grew out of his talent, loyalty and good character. A lovely guy, you'll be sorely missed Ronnie. Condolences to his family and friends.

Heard the sad news when I tuned in for the game.

Ronnie was a man I always referred to as the "nice man with sweets" - we lived at the same address as him but our address had a "West" suffix on it so we would occassinally get each others post by mistake. Ronnie would drop our post off, often with some sweets for me and my sister. I never realised who he was until my parents decided to tell me several years later! The only time I regret not being older than I am is that I never saw him play but such is his legendary status at Ewood that it is testament that those who were born after he retired are well aware of Rovers greatest legend.

It is truly a sad day but one in which we will remember the great Ronnie Clayton. RIP.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Enjoyed reading the tributes to Ronnie. Been thinking about it all day now.

I was in his daughter's class at school. I even went to her birthday parties at her house just down Knowsley Road. Lovely girl. His eldest was two years above me and I remember sitting in the Nuttall St watching him in the 1970 final of Blackburn small schools at Ewood. Our school won. His dad would have been proud. His youngest was just a young lad but, just like his brother and sister, very modest and well mannered. What a lovely family. Mr Clayton *always* had a smile and a good word for you. And, apparently, as well as a wonderful family man, he was also captain of the England national football team and the famous Blackburn Rovers.

My first and only memory of Ronnie Clayton the footballer was at his testimonial. Sadly I missed his career as my first season ticket coincided with his retirement from the game. But my dad and grandad used to talk about him in glowing terms. The one thing I remember above all others was how my dad used to describe him trapping the ball on his chest and carrying it forward on his chest, perfectly in control of the ball. Funny how we remember these things, but that is what makes a legend, I guess. And legend he is and always will be.

My condolences to the family.

Ronnie was one of my heros as I was growing up.

In the late 50's early 60's us kids would wait for autographs after the game.

Ronnie would be stand for ages signing, until, he'd say, 'I'ved signed three of yours, let me go home'.

A very calm,cultured player and if he was playing today,

he would command a place in any premier league team.

RIP Ron

I was very sad to hear of Ronnie Clayton's death. He was only nine years older than me.

I have never had a tour around Ewood Park and regret not going on the ones Ron used to do.

I started watching Rovers around 1950/51 when Jackie Campbell was right half. A young Ronnie Clayton soon took over from him and became one of the greatest Rovers players I have ever seen. He was not only captain of the Rovers but also captain of England, taking over from Billy Wright of Wolves.

The England captaincy passed on to West Ham's Bobby Moore whilst Ronnie still played for England.

My dad told me the story that he was at Ewood watching Ronnie being given a trial and playing in front of David Gray. Gray was shouting instructions to him too much when my dad shouted "Let the lad play his own game, David." A man standing behind my dad said, "Thanks for that. I'm Ronnie's father."

There wouldn't have been many spectators on the terraces at that game.

A true, true Rovers legend.

RIP Ronnie. Condolences to the family.

Some fantastic and fitting posts on this thread reminding me of how good this forum is when not embroiled in the angst of takeovers.

Like a few of us I was just too young to see him play but heard enough about him from Dad and Uncles to know that Ronnie was a very special player and man.

I was however lucky enough to take a ground tour a few years back and amongst many questions I asked him if he had many offer to leave - he replied 'there were a couple, but they were only paying me the same wages as I was getting here so why on earth would I want to go' - if only that were the case today - the game would be the better.

RIP