BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kentaro

philipl

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not read all this thread ,too busy. Does it mean then that come jan there is a possiblty that this group could sell all our first team and bring in youngsters ? :blink::unsure:

Who knows?

It could mean lots of different outcomes, some good, some bad.

Venky's are the ones putting capital at risk- not Kentaro. On that basis Kentaro are less wedded to a Premier League Rovers.

Surely Kentaro are just in this to advise your club and will pickup a fee for doing so.

And standard agent fees will be paid to their agents if and when players arrive.

The money is coming from the Indians and not Kentaro.

The Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.

Venkys is (or will be) the owner. If they want to listen to Kentaro, JW, Sam or whomever, that is their perogative as they are bearing the risk.

I'm honestly beginning to question whether you feel the same way about the club as I do.

You're willing to:

1. Have owners that know NOTHING about football.

2. A TOTALLY uncertain future

3. Renaming of the stadium

4. The removal of everything that is Blackburn Rovers.

5. Operate purely for the purpose of advertising.

6. Have Blackburn Rovers used in anyway that VH see fit to enhance their bank balance.

You're first statement (bold) out of the gates indicates that you are being a bit of a drama queen, as does ennumerated point 4, and undermines the seriousness in which the balance of the argument should be taken. I'm not trying to be insulting, merely pointing out what may be a tactical error in your argument.

As to the number points, nos 1-2 are nothing new. No. 3 is unfortunate but it is part of the modern world of sport. Welcome to the 21st century.

Nos. 5 and 6 are a bit of a stretch. What do you base this on? And how does it compare to other existing owners? If you are looking for the second coming of Jack Walker, he doesn't exist for the Rovers.

I have to believe that the Trust has done their home work and believe that Venkys is more likely to take us forward than the Trust. Believing that, it is easy to accept that Venkys as our new owners is a potential positive.

Interesting that nobody is counter arguing my points that there are massive conflicts of interest over all aspects of the playing staff.

Nobody is counter arguing that Rovers will not be seeing the financial benefit of all this.

I'm not counter-arguing that the Rovers will benefit financially from the Venkys take over as I don't know. I don't know because I lack facts. If and when the Trust shares it's basis for selling to Venkys, then I will be able to make an educated guess one way or the other. In the meantime we're dealing with rumor and speculation and I don't care to guess. All I have is the belief (i.e faith) that the Trust is trying to do its best for us so far as it can, financially or otherwise. I base that faith on the Trust's prior behaviors and forebearance that you have many times pointed out (persuasively) yourself.

As to the Kentaro "conflict of interest" how so? Do they own the club? Are they partners with Venkys? If not, then no conflict exists. They are like any other agency. They try to whisper in the owners, chairmans and/or managers' ear and hope they can persuade someone to listen to them.

It is possible that Kentaro is entering or has entered into some contract to advise Venkys, but as long as they disclose their relationship to the player in question, and so long as the ultimate decision is Venkys (expertly [i hope] advised by it's chairman and the manager), it is still an arm's length transaction. Heck, for all we know a contract is in place but the subject matter is the rate/terms/process for determining rate and terms to sell/loan Kentaro players to the club. Again, this is pure speculation and until I (or you) see the contract there is really nothing to base anything on other than rumor and innuendo.

'If you sup with the devil, be sure to use a long spoon' goes the old proverb. But that is not to say he shouldn't be supped with at all. And as we all attend the Devil's Premier League Banquet, with all its attendant horrors and pleasures in equal measure, it would seem wise to see who the Rovers might be at dinner with before condemnation. Kentaro's credentials are here:

http://www.kentarogroup.com/fileadmin/content/documents/Kentaro_Group_Company_Presentation.pdf

What is interesting is that their business - centred around 'The House of Football' as a core proposition - is not at all limited to player bargaining. Indeed that aspect seems a small if significant part. Figures are difficult to establish on the Company, but it is not too much of a stretch to surmise that global TV rights and sponsorship ventures will be more important to them than the sell on percentage of a Congolese to the Rovers.

All is conjecture. But if we go to the Ball, shouldn't we be going with someone who has a seat at the high table? If you were an Indian businessman coming into the Premier League, indeed any business, you would need some sharp advisers. I stand by my guess that whether it is in the Trust's obligations in black and white or not, any buyer of the Rovers will not be able to load the club with debt under the terms of the Trustees sale. They will therefore have to reap their rewards through growth rather than taking money out of existing revenues. Whether Venky's have borrowed the money, or pulled it out of their own accounts, is largely irrelevant. Some day they will want the money they put in back. And the best way for Rovers fans, is if they believe they can do that through growth and a subsequent sale of a much larger enterprise.

So as I previously posted, Venkys' strategic alliance with a Company like this seems a plan. For Rovers to be a 'brand', they need professional help. A global sports brand will need understanding of TV rights, sponsorship etc....check out Kentaro's House in their pdf pitch. And not forgetting player sales. An English 'Ajax' with an Asian expansion plan and an as yet undeclared route through global strategic football partners seems a lot more wholesome than a billionaire stranger's invitation to see some puppies at his $300m mansion. Charlie says we shouldn't leave his playground to go with strangers. As true now as in the classic 70's public information films.

I really don't know enough about sports marketing, or about TV rights and to know whether this Plan is a good one or not. But I run 4 offices in India, and the growth figures in our businesses there are staggering. And, as we have found out in recent days, there is really no other credible show in town. 'Where God has his Church, the Devil will have his chapel' so they say. Best we speak to both.

Interesting comments there, Iam, the only problem I have (generally) is that the Rovers aren't playing in India.

I acknowledge that the "middle class" in India is huge and growing, and that it is something to be targetted, but there's something lacking.

Now, if the Rovers were an "Indian" brand; totally different thing.

If it were targetted that way, then, possibilities could be not quite endless, but interesting to say the least.

Anyone seen that presentation and failed to be impressed?? They seem MUCH bigger than player agents, infact they seem FAR more involved in marketing & creating a bigger brand.

Well iv been speaking with an Indian Journo from Calcutta in India and he basically backs up the football argument – it’s the 2nd biggest sport, but according to him turn-out for local games is much higher for football than it is for Cricket….he says its getting bigger & bigger each year….it is however very cheap, he says “In Calcutta, the mecca of Indian Football, the price of a normal match ticket is Very, very cheap…Not even a dollar, RS10. In Calcutta we have Salt lake stadium, 2nd largest in the world & holds 140,000”

As for we aren’t playing in India….perhaps now, but it doesn’t stop us doing a tour each summer….4 or 5 games over there could MASSIVELY improve our support & exposure out there. We could also make money out of very lucrative pre-season tours…. TV deals, sponsorship etc – aswell as increased merchandise sales & Indian firms wanting to have their names around our ground.

We then have to look at developing soccer schools & academies and start using their vast population to try and find some new young football talent, which if it succeeds would only raise our profile in India further.

Anyone seen that presentation and failed to be impressed?? They seem MUCH bigger than player agents, infact they seem FAR more involved in marketing & creating a bigger brand.

No ones debating that they are involved in more than players and no ones trying to scare monger people. Opinions are being voiced because of the individuals, who it would appear have a strong relationship with our prospective new owners. If it was marketing and TV we were meant to be looking at why is the head of Kentaro's player agency the one whispering sweet nothings in their ears? If it was Philipp Grothe, Philippe Huber, Emmanuel Petit then perhaps I could buy into people's idea that it may not be about players. But when the lead player representative for the company is the man doing it, then well what makes one think its not about players?

If I was Kentaro and a company wanted advice on marketing then I would send my lead marketing man, not someone else. I don't know who the other Kentaro man at the game was or how much talking he did with the Venky Boys so perhaps he may have been representing that aspect of Kentaro, who knows?

I'm hopeful that our new owners will say something about Kentaro's involvement and role with the club. It doesn't have to be much even if it was just we are using them to help market and promote the club in India. This would eliviate fears that I'm sure a number of fans have as takeovers have not gone well in the main in the premier league recently.

Who knows it could turn out great, but just as some wish to look at it and see bright lights and dreams others will look and be sceptical, time will tell.

I'll stick this here as well in case this thread gets used again:

FA rules on dual representation:

The FA Regulations are pretty clear concerning dual representation-

• If Clubs have a contract with an Agent or Solicitor,

that individual must act for them only and look after

their interests in any negotiation. The individual

must not also act for the Player or any other Club

involved; (C.1)

• A Club cannot use an Agent in relation to a Player

where the Agent (or any connected Agent) has

acted for the Player during the previous 2 transfer

windows (“switching”); (C.2)

• If an Agent acts for the Club in a transaction

involving a Player, the Agent will not be permitted to

act for a Club in relation to that Player (i) in the next

transaction involving the same player or (ii) for a

period of two transfer windows. This will prevent

Agents from “shadow” representing Players

through their careers and seeking payments from

Clubs (i.e. repeatedly claiming to act for a Club

when in fact the Agent is the Player’s Agent); (C.3)

• A Club cannot use an Agent in relation to a Player

where the Agent (or any connected Agent) has

acted in relation to the Player’s commercial rights

during the previous 2 transfer windows. (C.5)

Owning shares in an agency

• Clubs, Club Officials or Managers must not own any

interest or shares in agencies (over a 5% limit).

Club Officials

• Clubs must use reasonable endeavours to ensure

that their Players and staff (including Managers)

comply with the Regulations.

Contracts

• If Clubs use an Agent or Solicitor they must have a

written contract in place. They must ensure that

they get a copy of the contract, that it is signed,

dated and submitted to The FA within 5 days of

execution (or at the time of a transaction if that is

within the 5 days); (B.1 & B.9)

• Clubs must only enter into representation contracts

with Authorised Agents as individuals, and not with

the company or practice. It is the contracted

individual who should carry out the Agency Activity

and not another individual from the same company;

(App II)

• A Club’s contract with an agent must not be for a

period of more than two years.

Even tougher restrictions are due to come in in October 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

In relation to the manager's long-term position at the club, it may come down to if Kentaro/SEM rate him possibly?

Being the new owners football advisers surely they will have a fairly significant input on the decision (you would think).

Archived