BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Ashes 2010 / 2011

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First session to England after a poor start.

Strauss worries me - that's two poor errors of judgment at the start of 2 of his 3 innings in this series and he needlessly gave away his wicket after making a ton.

England's day again - well played the batsmen and in particular Pietersen who must complete his 100 tomorrow and give his sagging confidence a much-needed boost. England need to set a minimum target of 500 and get the opposition in for 10 - 20 overs at the end of the day.

To quote someone from the Guardian Ashes Blog from last night

Aussieinexcelsis

4 December 2010 1:29AM

Zeph, Stump mic picked this up...

Punter at slip :

'For Ashes is lost; yes, lost. Dirty Pommies, nasty Pommies. Gone and left us gollum; and Ashes is gone. Only poor Punter all alone.

No Ashes.

Nasty Pommies, they take it, steal my Ashes. Thieves. We hates them. Chewing gumsss, nice chewing gumsss. Makes us strong. Makes eyes bright, fingers tight, yes. Throttle them, Ashes. Throttle them all, yes, if we gets chances. Nice chewing gumss. Nice chewing gumss!

I've never been convinced by Cook, but he's well on his way to being the highest ever scorer in English cricketting history. You can't argue against that.

The Aussies look a beaten side to me. They desperately need to find some momentum from somewhere - and soon.

I've never been convinced by Cook, but he's well on his way to being the highest ever scorer in English cricketting history. You can't argue against that.

The Aussies look a beaten side to me. They desperately need to find some momentum from somewhere - and soon.

den SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :wacko:

DONT TEMPT NOTHING PLEAAAAAAAASE

apparently there's some rain around for day 4 and 5 so its vital England score at a decent rate tomorrow which means KP staying in and scoring a daddy.

500+ and i just cant see the Aussies coming back from that...they seem a bit fragile to my untrained eye!!

Great times to be an england fan!

Big day today that could decide the overall outcome not just of this test but the series (not sure how Australia could recover mentally if they lose this test especially after being in a strong position in the first test that ended in a draw).

England 72 runs ahead, if Australia could get a couple of wickets early it could shake them up a bit.

Got earphones plugged into my DAB radio ready for TMS, i'll be listening for as long as I can keep awake.

Cook finally out after scoring 383 runs in 2 innings and a total of 1058 minutes batting time at the crease .... he really must learn to concentrate better.

Wally Hammond's 77-year record of back-to-back double centures is safe, .. for now.

You have got to think this is a win for England, after seeing this performance from both sides it is pretty clear that England will be retaining the Ashes, I even have it at 3-0 TBH.

When we lost the Ashes in England it should have been time to go with some youth but instead as usual they stick with underperformers like North. Alright in a side where you have an in form Ponting, Langer, Hayden, McGrath and Warne but in this team they get shown up too easily and their mistakes are crucial as the bowling lacks the experience and captain patience to really create chances.

If Australia is to build anything from this series loss, they need to give Hughes, O'Keefe, Henriques, Paine, Copeland and Khawaja in for some time in the baggy green.

Shame about the weather .... I thought it never rained down there ? England will need to get 450 + ahead quickly and gjive themselves as much time as possible to bowl the opposition out. If he's careful with his shot selection and does not give his wicket away expect fireworks from Pietersen tomorrow morning.

Shame about the weather .... I thought it never rained down there ? England will need to get 450 + ahead quickly and gjive themselves as much time as possible to bowl the opposition out. If he's careful with his shot selection and does not give his wicket away expect fireworks from Pietersen tomorrow morning.

I disagree, I think England should declare now and give themselves 2 days to bowl out the Aussies. It still leaves them time to bat again if they need it, and means that they dont waste time scoring runs they may not need. Watched the game until lunch and was amazed at how lacklustre the Aussie attack was. I think the way they wasted the review in the first few overs on Pieterson was evidence of the desperation.

den SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :wacko:

DONT TEMPT NOTHING PLEAAAAAAAASE

Far too early to say that. Have you learnt nothing following Rovers and England cricket over the years ? :o

:lol:

I know. I knew it was risky saying that. However, I did say they looked a beaten side, I didn't say they were a beaten side. Desperately hoping the rain doesn't keep England at bay in this game, because we all know how the next test could be entirely different. This England side is a cut above the current Ausie side though. No doubts about that. We need to hit 'em while they're down.

I disagree, I think England should declare now and give themselves 2 days to bowl out the Aussies. It still leaves them time to bat again if they need it, and means that they dont waste time scoring runs they may not need. Watched the game until lunch and was amazed at how lacklustre the Aussie attack was. I think the way they wasted the review in the first few overs on Pieterson was evidence of the desperation.

Dangerous. On that pitch Australia could easily make 450 plus second time round leaving England to get a tricky 150 or so batting fourth, never a comfortable proposition.

Dangerous. On that pitch Australia could easily make 450 plus second time round leaving England to get a tricky 150 or so batting fourth, never a comfortable proposition.

Hopefully we'll go out and play T20 style for the first twenty overs. Get the lead over 400 and give them 10 tricky overs before lunch. 5 sessions to bowl them out, should be enough.

Having said that, this is an Ashes test, in Australia, that England are well in control of. Therefore the smart money is on a complete washout of days 4 and 5.

With rain forecast, I'd sooner take the risk and not bat long enough to give them time to save a draw. If we have to get 150 batting last on that pitch, personally I cant see a problem. With batting last we have to use that innings in hand to make sure we get long enough time bowling to dismiss them. It would be criminal to score 100+ runs too many and not bowl them out for a win.

With rain forecast, I'd sooner take the risk and not bat long enough to give them time to save a draw. If we have to get 150 batting last on that pitch, personally I cant see a problem. With batting last we have to use that innings in hand to make sure we get long enough time bowling to dismiss them. It would be criminal to score 100+ runs too many and not bowl them out for a win.

Might not be a problem for you but you aren't batting for us. First rule- make absolutely sure we can't lose before thinking of winning. Bat on and grind them into the dust.

Might not be a problem for you but you aren't batting for us. First rule- make absolutely sure we can't lose before thinking of winning. Bat on and grind them into the dust.

Well said Mike Brearley. Don't give 'em a sniff - then go for the win. And remember the Test match at this place 4 years ago :o

Archived