Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Wigan

RIML

----------- Robinson

Salgado - Samba - Nelsen - Olssen

------------ Jones

MB Diouf - Emerton - Dunn - EH Diouf

----------- Benjani

Rovers to win this 'must-win' game, 2-1. (ok, the pragmatists can argue its technically not a must-win, but games like this must be won if we're going to have enough points to stay up at the end of the season).

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead

How?

It's a very important game, undoubtedly. Our season isn't over if we lose though, therefore it's not 'must win'.

Talk about splitting hairs!

After our performance against Chelsea last week, coming away with nothing despite playing well for large parts, and given our league position (granted it's early days) we MUST win this game, especially given our next 3 fixtures- Spurs (a), Villa (h), Man Utd (a)- can you see a run coming from that set of results?

I thought 'must win' was just a turn of phrase to show the importance of the result.

If it's literal from a mathematical sense then 'must win' would only kick in when we definitely had to get the 3 points to secure survival.

In an absolute sense 'must win' would never kick in because, for example, the world isn't going to blow up or anything if we don't win.

I'm perfectly happy to use it as a turn of phrase.

Shall we move on to discussing the merits of the phrase a 'six pointer'?

We could really do with a win on Sat'day. If we can't beat Wigan at home then I will have serious concerns that we do not have a team that deserves to be in the Prem.

• Backroom

Papa Diouf would be a huge loss, he's our player of the season by far. No Goulon in the squad yet.

Also a headline on the Rovers site: Emerton: Wigan is a must win

Someone should tell him :P

Six pointer is a favourite of mine, I.e we win today we are six points ahead, ee lose we are level- obvious maths to it!

Inot sure done folk quite grasp it.

Six pointer is a favourite of mine, I.e we win today we are six points ahead, we lose we are level- obvious maths to it!

Not sure some olk quite grasp it.

Six pointer is a favourite of mine, I.e we win today we are six points ahead, ee lose we are level- obvious maths to it!

Inot sure done folk quite grasp it.

Mmmmmmmmm! Yes I THINK we've grasped it................How many have you had Matty? ;)

Can somebody who has watched Rovers live this season explain how on earth David Dunn justifies a start in a Rovers team ?

Having watched Rovers throughout this season I think Dunn has a creative spark that no other player in our team offers. How's that?

• Backroom

A crooked out of shape Dunn is still more likely to score than most of our other midfielders, unfortunately.

Not for me, he's been rank this season when he has been on the pitch and played a huge part in Chelsea's winner last week, all he had to do was head it away and he messed that up.

I wont jump on my Linganzi train again because I have given up on him getting a game sadly but Dunny hasn't done enough to warrant a start.

This is a must win game in the sense that, if we don't/can't beat Wigan at home then I dont know where we are going to get our points!

It has to be one of the matches circled on red marker on Big Sam's PL fixtures wallchart.

Archived