BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle v Rovers

jodrell

TOON PREVIEW

As I have not been able to use my computer I have not been able to research this as much I would have liked so apologies.

As this is my first preview apologise if it doesn’t live up to regular standards, and as I am not one of the more tactical aware members I am not going down that route.

With this game for me it has the biggest contrasts in how football clubs are run and how fans react to their club’s in the premier division. As most on here will acknowledge that Rovers are a well run club, but Newcastle appear to throw money away in their quest for success, and the amount of debt they have got.

Most of the Rovers fans I know success is avoiding relegation first and finishing mid table or top ten ,and have a good cup run. But with the Geordies it has to be they have to win something at all costs.

After doing some research trophy wise there doesn’t seem much difference between the two clubs we have the same FA cup wins but they have slightly more (old style) first division championship titles but we have the Premier title. After looking at their Fairs cup win it seem like their inter Toto cup win has more Street cred, as it was not a UEFA recognised competition.

One of my earliest memories of the bar codes is their chairman in the Sixties and Seventies William Westwood (the pirate) after trying to find some info on him I couldn’t find much on him but it appears that he was liked by the fans. But he was involved in when player’s contract talks broke down (so nothing has changed in at area) and refused to put any more money into the club.

One of the more famous Chairman’s is Sir John Hall at first I thought he was descent at Newcastle but after finding out that he had borrowed the money to fund his purchase I became a bit more skeptical of him and his intentions.

Possibly Halls best move was to sell up to Feddy Shepherd IMO as he provided more entertainment than the team.

Then comes the Mike Ashley fiasco,buys the club without doing D/D and finds out how much debt they have. There is a good site about the finances of Newcastle done by a Geordie version of Phillip. But I can’t find a link to it as it seems to have gone missing.

So all of you who want a quick sale of Rovers be careful of what you get.

On the who have connections for both teams theme? I was surprised at how many do .Big Sam, Andy Cole, Shearer. Ossie Ardiles, Richard Dinnis, Gordon Lee, Jim Smith, Souness, Dalglish,and others.

I don’t usually bet against Rovers so going for a 1-1 draw, and hopefully our away form changes and get some of the luck we have had up there in the last few games.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the review...also worth nothing that Newcastle have never won the League Cup! So major trophy count is tied. Their extra league title perhaps tips it, but as you say, we've got the Prem and a far better recent trophy count so I say we're equal. Yet Newcastle think they've some divine right to win things.

You can add Shay Given and David Batty to the list of people with connections to both clubs...no surprise to me how many there are, my hatred of Newcastle began when they poached so many of our better staff during our descent period.

Thanks for the review...also worth nothing that Newcastle have never won the League Cup! So major trophy count is tied. Their extra league title perhaps tips it, but as you say, we've got the Prem and a far better recent trophy count so I say we're equal. Yet Newcastle think they've some divine right to win things.

You can add Shay Given and David Batty to the list of people with connections to both clubs...no surprise to me how many there are, my hatred of Newcastle began when they poached so many of our better staff during our descent period.

Add Kevin Gallacher to that list too.. :tu:

The renewed thought of Lord Westwood brings back bad memories. We had purchased Glen Keeley from Newcastle and they had poached our successful manager, Gordon Lee, causing bad blood between the two clubs.

We refused to pay the remainder of the transfer fee for Keeley and they appealed to the League Committee whose chairman was.....Lord Westwood.

We were ordered to pay up. We had no choice.

This is why I still dislike Newcastle United FC as I do Wolves because of 1960 and Derek Dougan, the only ex Rovers player whom I held in complete contempt.

if anybody is stopping over and driving back on thursday morning I would be extremely extremelyyyyyyyyyy grateful if they could give me a lift. I've got to make a presentation at 2 and the megabus doesn't arrive in manchester till quarter to 3 :( I might not be able to go at this rate!

This is a match we should win. If Blackpool can take 3 points off Newcastle at home, so can we.

Besides my U8 girls team lost today 4-3, against a friend of mine who is a Newcastle fan. So I need to get something back. The fact that we had one fewer player on the pitch the entire game is too small a consolation as I am definetly the better coach from all the Rovers matches I've watched and he's been stuck watching Newcastle. I think it stunted his development as a coach.

• Backroom

Newcastle are a strange one this season... they've lost some games you'd expect them to win (Blackpool) but then won some other games in emphatic style (Villa, Sunderland). Depends what Newcastle we get really. They're not a bad team and we're notoriously shocking away from home.

If we play like we did against Chelsea: 1-0 Rovers.

If we play like we did today against Wigan: 3-0 Newcastle.

Still a must not lose.

Wouldn't want to give this lot an early goal given the way they can run riot. Will be essential to quieten them down.

Very interesting to see the psychology of Allardyce going back there. A bit afraid he might try playing football to prove a point. Far better to walk away with all three points from a three quarters empty stadium at the end...

Family connections to the area and all that and Newcastle is a fantastic night out.

Football wise, along with brum the club ranks alongside the most hated in my book. I do however have time for the decent part of their support.

The main thing for Wednesday is who scores first. Should it be Rovers I could easily see a win. If the barcodes notch then its game over.

Thanks for the review...

There have been links between us for forty years to the certain memory of those of the older generation.

One of us can never forget our first season in the old Division 3 when the Board had recruited Ken Furphy to manage us back to Full Membership of the Football League. One of his choices in this task was to take three players; a defender, a midfielder and a forward [John McNamee, Ben Arentoft and Kit Napier] from Newcastle United. I was at College at the time and had a number of colleagues there who were and still are members of the Toon Army and I'll never be able to forget the patronizing remarks they made at the time about relieving them of surplus-to-requirements players.

I've taken pleasure in more recent years about referring to making an annual weekend trip to collect three points from them. Particularly enjoyable was the fixture [last one of the season, if memory serves] when we were relegated from the Premiership when [again, if memory serves] Jason Wilcox gave us the lead and our fans chanted "1-0 to the Football League" [or was it "... to the Championship"?]

That was one of the few times their fans weren't singing the then-traditional Geordie song, "Sack the Board". [What do they sing now, I wonder; "Sack the Owner" :rolleyes: ?]

Graham Fenton

One of the mates I referred to above told me a lovely story about when their Keegan-managed team blew up within sight of taking the Premier League title. My memory of this is really fading; but I think we played them at their place in the Monday night and Fenton came off the bench to score [twice?] so that we won 2-1. His Dad was watching the game in the bar at Whitley Bay golf club and had to make a swift exit! :lol:

If my memory serves me right again, I think Graham Fenton was Assistant Manager at Blyth Spartans when we played them in the F.A. Cup.

my debut at this ground, very excited i tell thee!

Take a pair of binoculars with you and don't go if you suffer altitude sickness - you'll have a splendid view of the city centre by night from our eerie in the Leazes End.

Sorry to be pedantic but - Arentoft and McNammee were signed from Newcastle but Kit Napier was signed fron Brighton. He had played for Newcastle but only 8 games back in 1966. The game in which Graham Fenton scored two goals was at Ewood.

Absolutely nowt wrong with pedantry accuracy, Tyrone! :D

Like I say, you need to make allowances for an owd man's memory, particularly when he couldn't be arsed at this time on a Sunday to go looking in his record books.

Archived