BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle v Rovers

jodrell

In fact it's 11/11 Armistice Day. So in deference to that awful business in the trenches I'd imagine that Barton would have gone over the top with the rest and been shot dead whilst Roberts would have refused to go over the top and been shot dead by a bullet from the pistol of an officer.

Same but different. :wacko:

What a stupid analogy, you really are a prat. :wstu:

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:rover: watched the highlights last night on motd,and again now on yahoo,thought the bar codes goal was a misunderstanding by samba and robbo.as for the winner i,m glad the ref did not pull roberts up for a foul as he jumps directly at the geordie centre half :wacko::brfc:

That was intended to be abstract and topically descriptive not distasteful. Why are you objecting.

The comparison is absurd, totally unrealistic and completely distasteful but to put it to rest... You compare Barton, who was a thug on a football pitch last night (who incidently sucker punched Pedersen, the mark of a coward), to a brave soldier who gave his life for our freedom in the first world war and Roberts, who has been left on the bench and has come on to prove himself and has scored goals, (not exactly the mark of a coward really is it?) to a coward who wouldn't fight and got shot anyway. Where is the logic and what is the point?

Gordon, it is distasteful and completely irrelevant to today and what it stands for. Footballers don't fight for us. They don't stand and defend our freedom. They don't commit the ultimate sacrifice so that we can live. Football, frankly, is an irrelevance today and you have no class.

The comparison is absurd, totally unrealistic and completely distasteful but to put it to rest... You compare Barton, who was a thug on a football pitch last night (who incidently sucker punched Pedersen, the mark of a coward), to a brave soldier who gave his life for our freedom in the first world war and Roberts, who has been left on the bench and has come on to prove himself and has scored goals, (not exactly the mark of a coward really is it?) to a coward who wouldn't fight and got shot anyway. Where is the logic and what is the point?

Gordon, it is distasteful and completely irrelevant to today and what it stands for. Footballers don't fight for us. They don't stand and defend our freedom. They don't commit the ultimate sacrifice so that we can live. Football, frankly, is an irrelevance today and you have no class.

Amen.

BAck to the game, I'm struggling with the view that Kalinic did well, I though the few times he had possession his decision making was awful. Zero threat.

I'm not sure I agree with this. To me, and I admit I watched over the computer and was not present at the game in person, Kalinic looked decent. He came back and helped with the defense, ran at Newcastle's defense, and in general made a pest of himself. He would have scored, I think, if left on.

And I think some are reading too much into Kalinic being taken off and Roberts on after the first half. We have three matches in a week's time. By dividing the time between Roberts and Kalinic, he keeps them both fresh, and a viable option, for this Saturday. As opposed to running one into the ground and only have one fresh for the Spurs.

I think Sam has got the Kalinic/Roberts combo right. Kalinic on first, to wear down the defense, then Roberts to trample the poor knackered dears.

That was a great win last night and by winning two games in a row it takes some pressure off us going into the games against Tottenham and Man United. Both goals were well taken and we deserved the win. I watched the highlights on Football First and thought that we played very well. The formation was spot on and really denied Newcastle any good scoring chances. Roberts has scored two winning goals in the last two games so deserves to be playing. His scoring ability has always been the problem, but lets hope he can score a few more for us. He's obviously not happy and his reaction to scoring and the way that he was pushing Samba away when Colocinni fouled him were over the top. If he could score more regularly he wouldn't find himself in the position he was. Anyway, three more vital points.

I admit that I was sitting up in the clouds but from the away end he did look fairly decent last night. I thought he was a handfull for the Geordie defence and if he had a bit more support just a second or two quicker we could have created even more scoring chances. I fully agreed with Sam taking him off when they scored though as we then needed the ball to stick up font a bit more rather than have Niko bringing it back to the middle to try and get some support.

One thing that I did have a good laugh last night was a comment from the bloke who ended up beside me in the second half and I have to say I actuallly agreed with it at the time and that was the fact that we seemed to be playing a 451 with nobody in midfield!

Edit: I'm sat in the airport now and I see that Barton has been charged by the FA.

I was interviewed on the way into the ground by the Premier League. I was asked whether I thought Sam had a point to prove coming back to his old club and I said yeah because they were about 8th-10th in the league when he was sacked (they were actually 11th) but I was nearly right ;) and I said look what happened to them ('Alan Shearer took you down') I also said that Sam usually wins when he comes back to his old club, so I was delighted with the win.

I was also asked if I could understand why the Newcastle fans didn't like the style of football, I said yeah I can understand that because some of the Rovers fans are not happy with the style of football (honesty is the best policy) Now I wish I'd said something more positive about Sam.

Sam got his tactics spot on for this game. Emerton and Pedersen were brilliant, Hoilett and Nelsen were very good too. A thoroughly deserved win.

I've not usually got much good to say about BFS but I thought last night was a masterclass in an experienced coach out-manouvering an inexperienced one. With our lopsided left leaning formation I thought it could be a total disaster but the game was almost entirely played on our terms and they wer reduced from an early point to big hoofs up to the carthorse up front. We defended superbly (apart from Samba on the goal) and MGP in midfield had his best game for ages. I was impressed by Hoillet as well and can see him and Chimbonda doing a job on Bale on Saturday by making hif defend. I reckon BFS knew all about their weaknesses and just went out to target them and it really worked. I think if we had made more of our possession in the 2nd half it could have been a lot easier in the end because our passing was poor in parts but I'll settle for that result anytime.

Breaking News,Barton has accepted the FA charge and has apologised to Pederson he will now serve a 3 match suspension .

I'm disappointed with this.

It's imperative the FA take a strong line with MGP's provocation-he must be severely dealt with.

After all, there is a precedent-wasn't he booked in a touch line incident with Newcastle-when he was trying to get the ball back?

I've not usually got much good to say about BFS but I thought last night was a masterclass in an experienced coach out-manouvering an inexperienced one.

I'm delighted we won, but I have a lot of sympathy with the above quote.

Wnem Allardyce has used 3-5-2, or a variation of it, it has usually been for only a limited time during the match as the other manager has quickly sussed how to countermand it.

It's imperative the FA take a strong line with MGP's provocation-he must be severely dealt with.

After all, there is a precedent-wasn't he booked in a touch line incident with Newcastle-when he was trying to get the ball back?

He's hardly going to go for a hearing and risk being banned longer is he when it's been beamed around the nation in glorious technicolour from 3 different angles is he?

Yeh, he seems to be a bit a punch bag. He even got booked for letting arteta poke him in the eye.

Nice to know you hang on my every word. Wewll done, it shows you have sound judgement Bucky. :tu:

Truth is Barton is a scroat from Inner city Liverpool who imo from seeing interviews and especially one a couple of years ago with Gabby Yorath is always on the edge. In that interview he had a constant troubled air.

He is a flawed talent and being as how we can't afford proper talent then if we were to sign him in center mid (Mags wages have screwed that btw) he'd be a mile in front of anybody that we have. Andrews is pants, MGP / Emerton are not naturals in that position, Grella and Dunny are simply unreliable physically (if those two were reliable there would be no need to gamble with a nutter),

Jones's future is prob centre half.

In a different time I'm sure that Brian Clough would have signed him like a shot. It would be a test of Allardyce's metal but he really is the type of midfielder that we have been crying out for for years but cannot afford. His baggage makes him a liability bit it does not make him a bad player does it?

I wouldn't have him if he played for nowt! Have you no moral standards?

Ah I'm going to have to go to more away games, my first away game since Goodison on the opening day a few years back :rover:

I had a good feeling on the way up on the coach about this game and was sure we wouldn't lose.

Really impressive performance from all concerned with Rovers last night from the 11 men on the pitch to the men on the bench. It was really evident from the opening few seconds that we where set up with 5 at the back when defending and three when on the attack, leaving a spare man at all times to enable us to have two men on Carroll at all times and the only chance they had of note was when our three centre backs failed to double up on him.

Pedersen for all he did well last night could have cost up against a better side but I'm pleased for him to get another goal and it can only help his game going forward.

Hoillet and Chimbonda never put a foot wrong last night apart from the silly yellow, however the worlds best have been doing it for years. I have to say it was a joy to see a player taking the ball and running at a defence, it was a joy to behold.

Roberts did well for his goal and I could see the reasoning for replacing Kalinic once they leveled, although I did think the young Croat did have a good half to be fair. As for the treatment of Jason I don't think Sam has been too harsh on him, but he has been given his chance and the ball is now firmly back in Sams court as he has taken them.

Our fans where really great last night, I thought we took a fairly decent following given a midweek game up there. We out sang them for almost the entire game apart from their goal. I have to say that I don't think I have ever heard a poorer home crowd in my entire life. I know that we where up in the gods but I couldn't make out even one song or chant from the Geordies last night. I've been to overhyped grounds such as Anfield and Old Trafford before, but St James' is easily the quietest I've been to.

Finally, anyone fancy buying me a ticket and flights for our next away match :xmas:

Edit: Joey Barton, I'm sorry but the guy can only be given so many second chances. He's a complete and utter idiot and has no place on a football pitch or even in normal society in general. I really thought he had turned a corner after some of his recent performances and especially his reactions following the treatment he received this season especially from a a certain Wolves player.

Finally, finally, I wouldn't pay much attention to Hughtons comments at all. The man was second in command to Brian Kerr with us during one of the worst periods in Irish football history!

Pardon?

Did you not see Chimbonda's awfully week 'pass' that nearly resulted in a goal.

I wouldn't have him if he played for nowt! Have you no moral standards?

Besides which, we can't afford to have a midfielder who is liable to do what he did last night and get a 3 match ban. Our midfield is weak enough and injury prone without signing someone who can't be relied on to keep his temper on the pitch and keeps letting team mates down.

I've not usually got much good to say about BFS but I thought last night was a masterclass in an experienced coach out-manouvering an inexperienced one. With our lopsided left leaning formation I thought it could be a total disaster but the game was almost entirely played on our terms and they wer reduced from an early point to big hoofs up to the carthorse up front. We defended superbly (apart from Samba on the goal) and MGP in midfield had his best game for ages. I was impressed by Hoillet as well and can see him and Chimbonda doing a job on Bale on Saturday by making hif defend. I reckon BFS knew all about their weaknesses and just went out to target them and it really worked. I think if we had made more of our possession in the 2nd half it could have been a lot easier in the end because our passing was poor in parts but I'll settle for that result anytime.

Will Bale be playing on the right?

Was at the match last night, excellent fare

Big Sam's tactics were excellent, Newcastle had one chance all game when Samba appeared to fall asleep. Hoilett was threatening and energetic, just lacked a final ball at times. MGP was his usual self, excellence and terribleness wrapped up in one (particular highlight was when he played a 40 yard ball to 50 square yards of space, must've seen his invisible friend in space....)

Jones was mint as usual, nulified Nolan completely. Chimbonda looked decent. Kalinic can't play upfront on his own, end of. Not going to criticize him

Think Roberts is becoming like Derbyshire, not good enough to start but great when coming off the bench and stretching defences

Think Roberts is becoming like Derbyshire, not good enough to start but great when coming off the bench and stretching defences

Personally I think there is a role for players like that and I think they can be really useful.

The art is to ensure they are happy with their most effective role.

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived