BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poppy Burning Protest

thing is paul,correct me if im wrong ,but was the protest then all about peace? i wasnt born ;).. these scum now want to blow us up,in hotels ,pubs,planes ,sporting event etc.

their overall aim is worldwide domination.

Abbey,

I dont often respond to your posts but in this instance I will, you are 100% correct!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Christians you mention are also bigots, White, Asian whatever.

However, in this country Christianity is a fading force and literal following of religious texts is not the way for the remaining adherents.

Islam, however is growing and the fundamentally patriarchal and often intolerant Koran is the guiding hand for Muslims everywhere..

Those that cherish equality in all it's forms- for women, for gay people, those who abhor anti semitism have to be wary of Islam.

The Christians you mention are also bigots, White, Asian whatever.

However, in this country Christianity is a fading force and literal following of religious texts is not the way for the remaining adherents.

Islam, however is growing and the fundamentally patriarchal and often intolerant Koran is the guiding hand for Muslims everywhere..

Those that cherish equality in all it's forms- for women, for gay people, those who abhor anti semitism have to be wary of Islam.

I agree, but not just Islam pretty much any organised religion or pseudo-religious cult. I'm not pro ANY organised religion, including Islam.

Actually, I kinda like Buddhists. Not exactly my cup of tea, but they seem to be pretty keen on following their own path, whilst letting others follow theirs. Thinking about it, that's probably one of the things that draws me to Turkey, it's a fiercely and proudly secular nation, that is also predominately (95%+) Muslim, something that completely screws with most peoples perceptions of Islam.

I agree, but not just Islam pretty much any organised religion or pseudo-religious cult. I'm not pro ANY organised religion, including Islam.

Actually, I kinda like Buddhists. Not exactly my cup of tea, but they seem to be pretty keen on following their own path, whilst letting others follow theirs. Thinking about it, that's probably one of the things that draws me to Turkey, it's a fiercely and proudly secular nation, that is also predominately (95%+) Muslim, something that completely screws with most peoples perceptions of Islam.

Unfortunately Glenn, that has only been achieved by the military clamping down on any move towards an Islamic state, however Turkey is now moving in that direction- though outside urban elites Turkey has always been deeply Islamic.

Unfortunately Glenn, that has only been achieved by the military clamping down on any move towards an Islamic state, however Turkey is now moving in that direction- though outside urban elites Turkey has always been deeply Islamic.

In the same was the UK has been deeply Christian, and still has similar significant influence over this country (which reminds me, I have some real scary none-religious stuff from antipope.com that deserves it's own thread).

Thankfully, I'm happy that I can live in a society where despite this influence, I am free to say "I don't agree with it myself" and even protest against that influence if I so choose.

Frankly, in my opinion, calling Islam a religion of fundamenaltist zealots is just as stereotypical and bigoted as calling England a country full of badly-dentured, drunk morons whose idea of a fun day out is a day of carving shanks, and afternoon of booze, and a night of stadium fighting.

sure, they exist, but they are a vocal minority, who get lots of coverage, and ruin it for everyone. Okay, bombings and the like cause more death and mayhem than your average footy punch-up, so indifference is easier to come by, but the analogy is sound on many levels.

In the same was the UK has been deeply Christian, and still has similar significant influence over this country (which reminds me, I have some real scary none-religious stuff from antipope.com that deserves it's own thread).

Thankfully, I'm happy that I can live in a society where despite this influence, I am free to say "I don't agree with it myself" and even protest against that influence if I so choose.

Yes, it was deeply Christian, however it is decreasing in influence, not increasing, which is the way it should be in the 21st century.

Surely the time has come for one of the main TV stations to be brave and inventive enough to allow Muslims an open forum of expression on TV about their beliefs, values and everything else whilst running alongside other popular religions in order to promote better understanding across communities and society in general.

......... There is a real danger, it's already a view held by a significant minority, of Muslims becoming a persecuted and reviled section of our society which in my experience of the majority of Muslims is completely unwarranted. if this happens we potentially face real problems with civil unrest in years to come.

Paul... it sounds to me that as you look ahead, are you filled with foreboding? Like the Roman, do you see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

;)

Yes, it was deeply Christian, however it is decreasing in influence, not increasing, which is the way it should be in the 21st century.

Hey, if they can use the interwebs to market themselves as effectively as any random Joe-blogger, why can't religions have influence in the 21st century?

Or stated another way, what's so special about the 21st century that should cause religion to be a less valid influence on the world?

Battle of Britain Day CND Protest

In 1961, on Battle of Britain Day, CND organised a Ban the Bomb rally in Trafalgar Square timed to coincide with the Prime Minister attending a ceremony in Westminster Abbey. Tens of thousands of British people attended the rally, I think one might argue 49 years ago such a rally would have been deemed deeply offensive to the memory of those who died or fought in the Battle of Britain. So this type of action has been used in the UK for at least 50 years regardless of religion, race or ethnic background.

Not sur about that Paul. The Battle of Britain was a heroic defensive action which prevented the Germans bombing us. In my recollection the entire Ban the Bomb movement was more concerned with the increasing Atomic Bomb threat of the 50's and 60's. A protest on VJ Day would have been a far more appropriate statement for the soap dodging beatniks of '61.

What would happen if i went in a mosque and took a dump on the koran?

I imagine that you'd never ever have to buy a beer again in Rishton Abbey. :lol:

Let me put it in context, I was 7 so I don't know the reaction, but 5 years later when I was 12, my mother banned The Rolling Stones from our house, on the basis Mick Jagger was the devil incarnate, and monitored my viewing of Top of the Pops!

Thus creating a lifelong fan of the Stones I'd wager Paul. :tu:

And of course, leave it to that group I was thinking of to provide me with a perfect example....

Veteran's Day Protest

The WBC is a "home grown" group of White Christian Americans, protesting at Arlington National Cemetary on Veterans Day. So clearly disgusting protests like this are limited to foreign muslims.

Never mind Ban the Bomb... This thread is adding significant weight to the far more important and relevent Ban the Religion movement. Bring it on.

I completely agreed with Glenn that these were scum, but not important enough scum to affect my freedoms through any knee-jerk legislative changes. If we all ignored them they would probably stop.

Dream on BL.

in my opinion, calling Islam a religion of fundamenaltist zealots is just as stereotypical and bigoted as calling England a country full of badly-dentured, drunk morons whose idea of a fun day out is a day of carving shanks, and afternoon of booze, and a night of stadium fighting.

You've virtually described Blackburn to a tee! :(

Paul... it sounds to me that as you look ahead, are you filled with foreboding? Like the Roman, do you see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

No, but I have a degree of faith in people's ability to live together.

Not sur about that Paul. The Battle of Britain was a heroic defensive action which prevented the Germans bombing us. In my recollection the entire Ban the Bomb movement was more concerned with the increasing Atomic Bomb threat of the 50's and 60's. A protest on VJ Day would have been a far more appropriate statement for the soap dodging beatniks of '61.

Yes, yes I understand what CND is / was all about. The point is the protest day was chosen for maximum publicity and probably to offend - two methods of getting people to take notice and possibly discuss the matter. A couple of Islamic extremists burning some poppies in May wouldn't get the same, if any attention. That is the point.

Thus creating a lifelong fan of the Stones I'd wager Paul.

Of course. :lol:

I fully understand that nobody can live with you 'drog but don't extend the particular to the general.

There are morons on all sides.

They encourage and need each other.

It is up to the 98% of the population who are sane and rational to deal with the morons and not be naive and get egged on by them.

Whether it is the IRA, UDA, ALF , Al Qaida, the moronic fringes of BNP/EDL or these poppy burning twits, they are all the same in essence. Every society has its brain dead fringe and we need to deal with it without destroying civil society in the process.

This BBC graphic is a sobering reminder of what we are remembering through the poppy.

Watching the festival of rememberence, from the Royal Albert Hall.

They're quoting Binyon's 'For the Fallen' for Christ's sake, and the best those tw@ts could do was chant 'English soldiers murderers'

It'd be a blessed relief if they murdered a few more every so often.

btw just been to the Cenotaph in Corporation Park for the Remembrance Day service and I was suprised to note that a few organisations who had their names called out by an Officer of the B(Somme) Company 4th Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's regiment to lay a wreath hadn't shown up! Off the top of my head I think the following didn't show 'The Royal Naval Association', The Royal Marines Assoc, Air Crew Assoc, The Royal Marines, The Royal air Force and the Paras. I don't know why they weren't there but it's mighty odd and definitely poor form.

The BBC Remembrance Service progamme from the RAH should be compulsory viewing for the nation's schoolchildren tomorrow morning.

In addition to teaching them about sacrifice and devotion to duty they would also learn something about Britain's glorious military history and its armed forces.

Anyone who is not moved by that service is not human. Even the heartless Cameron was seen to be shedding a tear.

Presumably the poppy burners were kicking in their TV screens last night. I hope it hurt.

The BBC Remembrance Service progamme from the RAH should be compulsory viewing for the nation's schoolchildren tomorrow morning.

In addition to teaching them about sacrifice and devotion to duty they would also learn something about Britain's glorious military history and its armed forces.

Anyone who is not moved by that service is not human. Even the heartless Cameron was seen to be shedding a tear.

Presumably the poppy burners were kicking in their TV screens last night. I hope it hurt.

That comment is pointless and unnecessary. Especially so given the overall context of your post.

Why ruin it with that Cameron jibe? Better still why not just have a day off from ramming down our throats your irrational hatred of the Conservative Party.

Archived