BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poppy Burning Protest

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BBC Remembrance Service progamme from the RAH should be compulsory viewing for the nation's schoolchildren tomorrow morning.

In addition to teaching them about sacrifice and devotion to duty they would also learn something about Britain's glorious military history and its armed forces.

Anyone who is not moved by that service is not human. Even the heartless Cameron was seen to be shedding a tear.

Presumably the poppy burners were kicking in their TV screens last night. I hope it hurt.

Jim, I usually (but not always) agree with your posts, but this one is a bit too over the top. The first world war was lions lead by Donkeys as thousands of working class blokes were lead to their deaths by upper class idiots.

I think that the youth of today are far more savvy to be treated as cannon-fodder for the vain-glorius aspirations of its egotistical, religion-inspired leaders. Or perhaps not as Blair's invasion of Iraq & Afghanistan has proved.

"Britain's glorious military history" as you describe it has been patchy to say the least. The Spanish Armada was aborted due to bad weather; we beat the Chinese to continue import opium into China; our 19 century invasion of Afganistan was a complete failure; Mahatma Ghandi's quite & peaceful protest told Britain to feck right out of India; I'm sure our our American contributers can add to this for their liberation.

England has subjected Ireland to 600 years of unwanted rule, the Aussies for an influx of prisoners, and more horribly, a load of prison officers.

I suppose the end of this post is that if some one wants to burn a poppy, then the rights and the freedoms that our ancestors have fought for over the years give them the right to burn a poppy. We can just laugh at them, and say-go on then mate, burn a poppy. You can burn a poppy. Go on and do it. We live in a free country where you can do it. And you can just watch them and join your right thumb and right finger in a circle and make a "w@nker" sign.

But never ban them for doing it otherwise we are as wicked as them.

Cheers

Colin

Grassroots football in Blackburn certainly remembered the fallen.

On saturday afternoon the Blackburn combination held a two minute silence before every game for remembrance sunday. Then today in the Blackburn sunday league, each team paid a sum to have a poppy on every shirt, with a minutes silence before every game.

Why ruin it with that Cameron jibe? Better still why not just have a day off from ramming down our throats your irrational hatred of the Conservative Party.

I don't think I ruined anything. The prime minister shedding a tear at the RAH is worthy of note in the context of what I consider to be his heartless dumping of 500,000 ordinary folk on the dole many of whom will never work again. I wish he would show the same compassion for the man on the street instead of his false "we're all in this together" mantra as his party slashes public sector jobs and services. Yeah right Dave, we've all got stately homes in east Yorkshire like your wife's family and I'm sure you're suffering like us too.

Hatred of the Tories is not irrational but borne out of love for this country and the north of England in particular and the damage the Tories caused to it 25 years ago and which they are about to repeat a generation later.

Meanwhile, back to the poppies.

I don't think I ruined anything. The prime minister shedding a tear at the RAH is worthy of note in the context of what I consider to be his heartless dumping of 500,000 ordinary folk on the dole many of whom will never work again.

Aye, I used to feel the same when Blair and Brown would stand there looking solemn, however they had real reasons to act upset- 1) taking us into an illegal war, 2) not giving proper eqiupment to the troops fighting the other one.

So, take your moral high ground elsewhere.

I suppose the end of this post is that if some one wants to burn a poppy, then the rights and the freedoms that our ancestors have fought for over the years give them the right to burn a poppy. We can just laugh at them, and say-go on then mate, burn a poppy. You can burn a poppy. Go on and do it. We live in a free country where you can do it. And you can just watch them and join your right thumb and right finger in a circle and make a "w@nker" sign.

But never ban them for doing it otherwise we are as wicked as them.

Cheers

Colin

I disagree Colin. Burning poppies in this way, at this time in this country is not a protest,it is intended primarily as an inflammatory gesture to anger and inflame British citizens in Britain. To use your comparison we are all remembering and mourning the Lions not the Donkeys. imo This is a violation of those Lions.

The perpetrators of this action are seeking to cause outrage, trouble and even violence. If the poppy stunt doesn't work they will find something else sacred to the British way of life to cause shock and outrage in order to cause an adverse reaction. Christmas or Easter Festivals being the liliest targets. Hiding behind police protection is just another example of the way our society is being violated by people with an anti-British agenda. Doesn't matter whether the goaders are Catholic or Islamic the police / army need powers drafting which will have the teeth to put a stop it.

Tell you what Colin how about organising a march protesting about the worldwide inhumanities of Sharia Law down Whalley range and ending up at the junction with Barbara Castle Way before starting a bonfire and burning pages of the Q'uran next Festival of Eid? Would you similarly defend the right to do that? Do you think that the police would allow it?

Tell you what Colin how about organising a march protesting about the worldwide inhumanities of Sharia Law down Whalley range and ending up at the junction with Barbara Castle Way before starting a bonfire and burning pages of the Q'uran next Festival of Eid? Would you similarly defend the right to do that? Do you think that the police would allow it?

There's the rub.

As long as they bought the poppies, how they go about making them selves look like ###### is their own business.

Re the none appearances at the Blackburn parades. It might be they don't have the membership anymore. I know round us a couple of the legions have amalgamated or closed due to lack of membership due to old age catching up with the Veterans.

I attended, with 20 of my cadets a local one yesterday. It was noticeable how much smaller the legion's contingent was compared to a few years ago.

I read that they made them. So no, no money went to good causes.

I can see it now, half a dozen extreme jihadist militants all sat round in a circle making poppies :lol:

Mohammed....."Pass me the glue Abdul"

Abdul....."Awwww! i`ve dropped me pritt stick. Can anybody see it?"

Mohammed....."it`s there. You`re sat on it"

Omar....."Ouch!!! I`ve pricked me finger. Has anybody got any plasters?"

Abdul....."Ohhhh, Mohammed, your poppies look tons better than mine. How do you get them to look so fluffed up?"

Mohammed....."it is gods will"

Omar...."They look almost too good to burn"

I agree that this isn't a protest, this is inflammatory behaviour. The poppy is not just a symbol of the memory of british soldiers, our Rememberance Day also uses poppies a sign of of respect.

As we don't get a lot of British news over here can someone post the links of the ISB or the like condeming this behaviour from these misguided young islamic gents?

Tell you what Colin how about organising a march protesting about the worldwide inhumanities of Sharia Law down Whalley range and ending up at the junction with Barbara Castle Way before starting a bonfire and burning pages of the Q'uran next Festival of Eid? Would you similarly defend the right to do that?

That's probably more your department than mine. Once you've done it get back to us and tell us how it went.

Do you think that the police would allow it?

I really don't know. Why don't you ask them. The number is 0845 1 25 35 45

Archived