BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fascinating season

thenodrog

Very interesting comparisons.

One or two surprising revelations in that Wolves and West Ham are performing badly by historical standards whilst the points gap from 5th to 17th of 8 this season is not that remarkable- it was 8 and 10 in the two previous seasons.

What does stand out is the decapitation of the teams at the top: Chelsea's top place this season would have landed them a distant 4th in the last two seasons. My gut feel is that this in part reflects the addition of City and Spurs to the old big 4 but also most of the other Prem sides rather fancy their chances when playing a member of the 6 this season whereas in previous seasons, it was more of a deferential procession.

Good to see that Rovers have improved on both previous seasons- markedly so on goal difference.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This season we really could have pushed on, nothnig between a lot of the sides, without doubt top half would have been attainable.

Now we will be scrapping our way to survival. :angry2:

Rather prophetic words mattyblue. Splitscreens tables clearly illustrate the foolishness of the Venkey's premature ejaculation efforts too.

Perhaps a good time to revisit this thread. 40 points may not be enough. Better teams than in previous years will be relegated.

Unfortunately it seemed pretty obvious as early as December- just after the West Ham game if I recall.

Will Kean be a 'success' if we survive? On a personal level, he will have done ok for a novice, Venky's on the other hand will have overseen a ridicuously reckless first season.

I did the premiership predictor thing on the bbc website! Results were as follows:

Man utd win title on 81 points only beating arsenal to first spot on goal difference!

Chelsea and man city make up top 4!

Spurs and liverpool finish 5th and 6th respectively!

Wigan finish last on 36

Aston Villa 19th on 38 (this seasons "Too good to go down")

Birmingham finish 18th on 39 with a goal difference of -18

And the most important:

Blackburn Rovers finish in 17th position on 39 points. Staying up by a goal difference of -15! :tu:

• 1 month later...

This season we really could have pushed on, nothnig between a lot of the sides, without doubt top half would have been attainable.

Now we will be scrapping our way to survival. :angry2:

Opinions worth revisiting at this nervy time. Mattyblue's post in Dec is still the most accurate.

How do you dig up these old threads once they've slipped off page 6? Is there some clever search type?

Genuine question.

Just above where you can see the page numbers at the bottom, there is a link which says "Click here to show filter options". By default the MB is set to show just threads from the past 30 days, you can change this to longer time.

How do you dig up these old threads once they've slipped off page 6? Is there some clever search type?

Genuine question.

Jisty.... bloody easy if you actually started them... threads that you started are actually listed on your member profile. I found this in about 20 seconds flat. ;)

Is this thread not the same as the Relegation battle thread and other prem happenings? whats the point in having to read through 3 threads for the same posts.

This was started as a comment on the way the season was panning out in a much different fashion to previous ones way back in Autumn 2010. The question under the title was 'will 40 points be enough?' Well obviously at this stage it's not so is it not obvious and timely to revisit it now that we are actually at the end of the season? I'd have said it was. Some posts were accurate and others not so but most were notable and meritworthy.

If you disagree then simply click another link.

Unfortunately it was bloody obvious after the West Ham game at Ewood.

We had nowhere near enough points, we had just sacked a top manager and had installed STEVE KEAN as caretaker with no inkling of a proper appointment lined up.

Make unecessary changes at your peril.

Unfortunately it was bloody obvious after the West Ham game at Ewood.

We had nowhere near enough points, we had just sacked a top manager and had installed STEVE KEAN as caretaker with no inkling of a proper appointment lined up.

Make unecessary changes at your peril.

I'd started the thread 6 weeks before that mattyblue as I'd noticed some 'lesser' teams picking up more points than expected and some of the top teams picking up less than expected.

That is what prompted that post in December, I really thought the tightness of the league, plus the fact we had won 8 games by December that we could have had a very good season.

However, the flip side of that ensured any instability could see you swamped and needing a big points tally even to survive.

That is what prompted that post in December, I really thought the tightness of the league, plus the fact we had won 8 games by December that we could have had a very good season.

I feel/felt exactly the same, there is no doubt in my mind at all. Our away form/results was looking slightly better too with wins against Newcastle, Blackpool and a point versus Man City. Even in the Bolton game we played some nice stuff (which some fans crave for :rolleyes:).

Just hoping that Venky's can start to run our football club with a bit of respect from now on, I have my doubts though....

Archived