BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton Away Tickets

AndyNeil

Seen it again - a few times

Roberts was clear of BOTH defenders, therefore it has to be classed as a 'professional foul' and therefore a red card.

It was never a sending off Hughesy, clearly a covering defender in the vicinity.

Thought the ref did ok, but you do get the opinion that he loves himself :D

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was never a sending off Hughesy, clearly a covering defender in the vicinity.

Thought the ref did ok, but you do get the opinion that he loves himself :D

If the covering defender is behind the attacker and the other defender fouls the attacker denying a clear shot on goal (which it would have been) it's a red. If the covering defender is between the striker and goal it is just a yellow as the clear goal scoring opportunity is not there. Denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity (which it was) is a straight red.

We were our own worst enemies yesterday. Defending like that cannot be justified. Their play was simple and direct. Having said that, we should have had a penalty as well. Rank bad defending and bad luck. We were walking away from the ground (avoiding the silly corner of the ground) wondering why we lost that match. We were much the better side and put some genuinely beautiful moves together.

• Backroom

I don't think knights was a red and Samba has never had even an argument his reds have been painfully obvious, also hes got away with a few in the past where he could easily have gone off.

For me though Knights handball was a pen there is no reason for your hand to be that high and if it hits it it should be a penalty. Also how on earth was Holden not booked for his tackle on Diouf?

Petrovs goal should have stood though.

At the end of the day the ref didn't beat us though we did a good job of doing ourselves in.

I think on the major decisions he got them right. There is no way on this earth that Knights handball could be considered "deliberate", yes I've seen them given but it by the rules it shouldn't be.

It wasn't deliberate in that he made no attempt to handle the ball, but his arm was above his head in the penalty area. If that is not a penalty by the rules then defenders might as well all spread their arms wide and increase their chances of the ball hitting them. Spreading your arms above your head in the hope that the ball will hit them is gaining an unfair advantage. It was a straight penalty and Clattenburg should have spotted it as it was right in front of him. Jones' booking appeared laughable live. He got Knight's booking right and also the booking for Olssen and the sending off for Davies right. Can't comment on the disallowed goal as we were a long way from it - I'll have a look at the recording when I get a chance.

All in all the ref made mistakes probably in favour of both sides. The penalty could well have changed the game - had it been given and we scored, but overall we lost because we gave two silly goals away. We were the better team but they rode their luck on the goal line and took advantage of defensive mistakes.

Why will he not? Didn't know anyone had ran on the pitch, I was still celebrating when they bloody scored too.

Yeh he ran on the pitch when we scored & got arrested...no doubt a night in the cells, followed by a fine & football banning order.

Yeh he ran on the pitch when we scored & got arrested...no doubt a night in the cells, followed by a fine & football banning order.

You don't get banning orders for going on the pitch, well I never have anyway. Saying that the police were complete tossers from start to finish yesterday so it wouldn't surprise me.

I think what I'm saying is that probably both sides got a fair deal (by accident rather than design), but as supporters usually do, both sides feel hard done by it.

The comments about "if Samba had done it, he'd be sent off" are exactly what Bolton fans say in similar situations, in fact I heard it yesterday (Jones got away with a foul having been booked and all our fans were going on about how Davies was sent off for less). Overall fans always think they're team gets the roughest deal.

When in reality its usually that the ref is equally bad for both sides. Clattenberg let the game get out of hand at times yesterday!

You have got to remember in the three minutes prior to the elbow, Davies gave away a free kick for a deliberate handball (not booked) and a free kick for a borderline malicious foul (not booked). The guy obviously couldn't wait to have an early bath.

I thought Clattenberg got all the big decisions right. The Knight hand was above his shoulder so technically could easily have been given but in the big picture he would have been unlucky because he was lacking intent unlike later when he had total intent in stopping Roberts exactly where he did but Cahill was just close enough to prevent the red card.

Yes Bolton got lucky in a way that they wouldn't have done had the opposition been Mancarsechelspool but on balance, they were marginally the right decisions.

We'll just have to take your word for it. Ignored and lying on the MoTD cutting room floor. Either they really hold an undeniable agenda against Northern clubs or the editor responsible is a woman.

I hoped we might see an improvement now some old producer / editor / whatever has retired. Maybe it'll take more time.

I'm sorry, what?

We were our own worst enemies yesterday. Defending like that cannot be justified. Their play was simple and direct. Having said that, we should have had a penalty as well. Rank bad defending and bad luck. We were walking away from the ground (avoiding the silly corner of the ground) wondering why we lost that match. We were much the better side and put some genuinely beautiful moves together.

That defending has been consistant for several weeks. Wolves had five or six glorious chances to score, yet didnt, and Man U could have had a cricket score before settling for seven.

His elbow on Jones was much more a straight red imo. Interestingly the Bolton fans around me were angry at him and calling him a thug, it seems he must do such stuff regularly.

Odd how the numties in the cheap seats roundly booed Jones after that for the crime of being elbowed in the back of the neck. Football does attract some thicko's doesn't it.

MOTM Paul Robinson told us in the lounge afterwards that the elbow 'was never a booking'!!

So he's not a thicko is he....he surely meant it was a straight red, didn't he?

RYAN NELSEN takes FULL responsibility for the Reebok defeat.

A shocking performance from the admiral, couldnt pass, couldnt tackle, panicked at times, even had young Phil Jones tell him to cool it when he headed a ball straight up in the air first half instead of controlling it and getting it on the floor.

An extremely poor show from Ryan just cant let him off the hook for this game.

Archived