BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nzonzi

As long as he breaks up opposition play and retains possession then he's doing a good job. Makelele was one of the best midfielders in Europe by doing just that.

Maybe he'll become more adventurous with his passing as he matures, but for now there is nothing wrong with sideways/backwards passing if it keeps us on the ball.

I do find it odd that he gets criticised for this. Most people seemed to dislike Allardyce's direct style - isn't N'Zonzi's style of passing in complete contrast to that?

As Mark Bright said to me at a youth training course when I was 9, "if you have the ball the other team can't score"

I don't think Hitler said that.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Mark Bright said to me at a youth training course when I was 9, "if you have the ball the other team can't score"

Pow!

I'm enjoying your Hitler references and you seem to be on a roll at the moment - keep it up!

No he would have said"Wenn du den Ball hast, kann die andere Mannschaft kein Tor schiessen." or words to that effect.

Like Batty

that why I liked McKinlay because he could tackle and pass forward.

Jeez just goes to show how opinions differ.

Batty was one of the best midfield players I've ever seen.

McKinlay - not even fit to polish let alone lace Batty's boots.

Back on topic (Nzonzi) thought he did very well on Saturday. Maybe early signs of a potential partnership with J Jones if we can keep hold of the latter.

Back on topic (Nzonzi) thought he did very well on Saturday. Maybe early signs of a potential partnership with J Jones if we can keep hold of the latter.

I liked Billy however used to rate Batty very highly too.

As long as he breaks up opposition play and retains possession then he's doing a good job. Makelele was one of the best midfielders in Europe by doing just that.

Maybe he'll become more adventurous with his passing as he matures, but for now there is nothing wrong with sideways/backwards passing if it keeps us on the ball.

I do find it odd that he gets criticised for this. Most people seemed to dislike Allardyce's direct style - isn't N'Zonzi's style of passing in complete contrast to that?

I agree with you LeChuck. I like Nzonzi. He gets the ball down and plays. Yes, he isn't the midfielder who's going to make all the chances that we desperately need, but he can do a decent job in there. Player of the year last season, which kind of makes two points. Firstly, that he can't be as bad as some say, and secondly, how odd that a midfielder wins POTY under Sam.

Maybe my post is misleading, I thought Batty was a much better tackler but he did always passed sidewards and back.

McKinlay was good though, don't tink he would have got in a team ahead of Batty, but I thought he was a good passer and held the ball well.

Pow!

I'm enjoying your Hitler references and you seem to be on a roll at the moment - keep it up!

funny how Hitler quotes can make sense, thats the irony, they shouldn't, I did see a classic one I'll save to defuse another arguement haha

Batty is the best holding midfielder we have ever had.

N'Zonzi is decent, he puts in effort and can have games where he really gets a foothold in midfield through his tackling, he's also very useful in the air, only problem really is he slows the game down and doesnt move it quick enough at times.

Jermaine Jones' display was the best centre midfield display we've seen in a while.

Exactly. And if anyone doubts his ability remember his goal at Arsenal end of last season? Absolute class.

Batty is the best holding midfielder we have ever had.

N'Zonzi is decent, he puts in effort and can have games where he really gets a foothold in midfield through his tackling, he's also very useful in the air, only problem really is he slows the game down and doesnt move it quick enough at times.

Jermaine Jones' display was the best centre midfield display we've seen in a while.

I agree with you about Batty, top player. The rot set in when he left.

I thought he barely played 94/95, and the second Harford took charged we were doomed.

He played the last few games of the Championship season and the rot set in then alright. We nearly lost the Premiership when my idol was dumped!

Wonder where they got those stats from, for N'Zonzi was rubbish on Saturday with the only passes he attempted being backwards ones.

I do like N'Zonzi, but I feel he is slowly feeling his way back after a lengthy lay off.

Jones was head and shoulders above him and the stats need to revisited again if they claim he only made 10 successfull passes, very dubious........

Possession is the key. N'Zonzi keeps it (generally). Jones is definitely the flashier player, but having N'Zonzi back has made a massive difference. He's a quality central midfielder and we've been desperately missing him this season.

We did dominate the centre of the park on Saturday, which was a welcome change.

This time Bolton were the ones with the rookie central midfield.

Nzonzi and Jones did compliment each other nicely, and provide adequate protection, and Jones also got forward alot.

I think N'zonzi is a different player than what people percieve him to be. He's all about positioning & game reading, he reads the game better than most midfielders we've had in recent times, this helps him to find the right position & intercept the ball.

If you watch Jermaine Jones, he's more like a Robbie Savage type, industrious, hard working midfielder who likes throwing tackles in allover the place. The Bolton game was fascinating to watch and see how they played together & how their styles compliment eachothers. It was a little like Robbie Savage & Tugay (but without the Tugay style inscisive passing & skills).

We are still devoid of creativity in centre midfield, but we need to keep it tight for the next few games, N'zonzi & Jones are the perfect partnership for it.

I would like to keep Jones too, he's been brilliant for the last few games.

I think N'zonzi is a different player than what people percieve him to be. He's all about positioning & game reading, he reads the game better than most midfielders we've had in recent times, this helps him to find the right position & intercept the ball.

If you watch Jermaine Jones, he's more like a Robbie Savage type, industrious, hard working midfielder who likes throwing tackles in allover the place. The Bolton game was fascinating to watch and see how they played together & how their styles compliment eachothers. It was a little like Robbie Savage & Tugay (but without the Tugay style inscisive passing & skills).

We are still devoid of creativity in centre midfield, but we need to keep it tight for the next few games, N'zonzi & Jones are the perfect partnership for it.

I would like to keep Jones too, he's been brilliant for the last few games.

Agree with all of that.

Nzonzi is a bad boy and an excellent midfielder. As someone mentioned; We have been missing him a lot this season and I also think if he had been sent off by the c**p ref (same who gave Carra yellow card for almost breaking Nani's leg) against Arsenal we would have a better chance against Birmingham, Everton and City where he was lacking.

Building the team around him, Jones x 2 , rochina, hoilett, olsson , kalinic would be a dream.

Zonz - Jonez

Hoilett - Rochina - Olsson

Kalinic

Get in!

I'm excited about our midfield at the moment.

With Jones and N'Zonzi winning the ball back in the centre and Olsson and Hoilett as the creative outlets on the wings, we're a very potent force.

Just a shame Junior is injured at the moment and we ain't got anyone up front that can stick the ball in the back of the net!

Yesterday was the first time that I myself could see the slight comparisons with Vieira. He was breaking up play, getting forward when possible and using the ball wisely. He and Jones are forming a decent partnership.

Good to hear !

Positive noises a decent central midfield pairing at last, add to this young Phil Jones, Olsson and Hoilett, backed up by the experienced Paul Robinson, big Samba, and the ex galactico Salgado plus some of the others looks good.

Please for the love of god can we find a higher quality management team that can lead these guys to greater things, other than the hapless Stephen Kean and John Jensen's of this world. For me, the players above deserve better in order to achieve more from their short footballing careers.

N'Zonzi was immense on Saturday. Samba was our MOM but N'Zonzi and Jones came next. Right back to the form that persuaded Sam to sign him. Great buy that.

No taking months or years to reach Premiership standard either.

N'Zonzi was immense on Saturday. Samba was our MOM but N'Zonzi and Jones came next. Right back to the form that persuaded Sam to sign him. Great buy that.

No taking months or years to reach Premiership standard either.

We're looking much more solid since we got J Jones and Nzonzi together in midfield. The back four seem much less exposed through the centre. We'll need them to be at their absolute best come Saturday.

Archived