BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] PETA ask JW to turn Venkys down

I don't doubt for a second that Venkys treat chickens in a less than humane way, if you see it from an animal rights person's perspective. It's not that they are wrong, I just don't care enough for animals, I guess. The world isn't perfect, and I'm glad that people fight for animal rights. That being said - no Premiership club would be sold if the owner's were to make all their money by being nice to everyone and everything.. for someone to be rich, someone else needs to pay.

I've always thought there was a strange correlation between a - to me - exaggerated care for animals and a less-than-caring view on global humanitarian problems.. a tad unfair seeing as they are right - but still...

Bring this home NOW, please.

After you live out a life in a wire cage not big enough to stretch your wings, with your beak sown off, and the wire slowly sinking into your flesh, slowly crippling you, as you develop diseases and open body wounds that are never treated, before one day you are finally taken out your cage, swung by your neck until dead, then thrown into the gutter....then come back and talk about "exaggerated care" or things that "aren't perfect".

I'm all for treating animals well etc. but PETA are lentil eating tools. They are extremists who want to chop down rainforest for soya production, prosecute anyone who buys a pork chop. And soya milk tastes horrible.

Agree on all points.

your_mommy_kills_animals_co.jpg

A friend of mine wrote an expose on PETA a few years ago (and he's pro animal rights), and whilst I don't have the article to hand, here are some bits and pieces that I remember and have found links for.

The PETA press officer was happy for us to use the image above to illustrate the article. It's propaganda material given out to children. Imagine kids bringing that home and accusing their mum of being a cold blooded murderer...

Also, PETA recently kicked up a fuss about the woman who put the cat in the wheelie bin. They'd already beaten her to it a few years ago in America...

PETA workers dump dead animals in garbage

Allegedly the woman had taken the animals from vets and shelters saying that they would be re-homed. Then euthanised them and wazzed them into someone else's bins.

I wouldn't pay attention to anything PETA said. A load of nutters who think their beliefs and own self-importance override the rights of everyone else.

Animals shouldn't suffer unnecessarily for any reason. But if someone thinks a rat's rights are worth just as much as mine, they need their heads testing.

This is an interesting discussion on the morality of Venky's to own Rovers, given that it's background is in

poultry farming in India & the far east.

I'll throw my hat into the ring immediately and declare that I'm a vegetarian and have been for30 years. Part

of the reason that I took this decision was that I once worked at Hawkshaw Farm on Longsight Road in between Langho &

Mellor. I spent many a day shovelling chicken sh1t out of battery cages. The stink of ammonia and the sight of

obviously distressed hens (even given their limited brain size) was enough to convince me that this was wrong.

BTW Hawkshaw farm is now

here

I very much doubt that Venky's bother about the welfare of the animals that they use to make their profit. They'll be

cooped up and fed hormones to make them grow as fast as possible so that they can be slaughtered asap to maximise profit.

Then they'll sell them to all the fast food outlets you could care to mention. We all know who they are.

If you are content to eat your chicken-fried "substance" from where ever you buy it feel free.

Just don't label me as some lentil-munching hippie saddo just because I choose not to join you

And if you want to post something along the lines of " I love animals, I love the taste" then it's probably

doing something really predictable.

After you live out a life in a wire cage not big enough to stretch your wings, with your beak sown off, and the wire slowly sinking into your flesh, slowly crippling you, as you develop diseases and open body wounds that are never treated, before one day you are finally taken out your cage, swung by your neck until dead, then thrown into the gutter....then come back and talk about "exaggerated care" or things that "aren't perfect".

Christ, what a rhetoric.

No, I won't. I specifically said that this is what it is 'to me'. I also said that I support those who fight for animal rights. Vegans who wants to stop milking cows because 'all animals should be free', however, I have no time for. But this is beside the actual debate, which is on whether Venkys should be allowed to buy Rovers despite their treatment of chickens. Bringing PETA in to this is really not necessary either, you don't have to agree with them to see that chicken farming in this scale is bad news for the animals.

Colin, I think most people get where you're coming from with that. I can't go through with it myself, but well done to you..

Haha, this is classic. The natural order of things dictates our position, if the dinosaurs were around today do you think they would be looking at the ethical treatment of humans?

I don't believe in unecessary cruelty to animals but give me a break, there is a reason we have those sharp teeth at the front.

PETA is a joke and anyone who supports them is a joke.

if the dinosaurs were around today do you think they would be looking at the ethical treatment of humans?

That's a tricky one, especially at this time of day. I have my doubts that "DETH" would have much popularity amongst other dinosaurs. Particularly the meat eaters, I very much doubt you'd see long queues of T-Rex waiting to sign up.

Having considered it, I'm going to have to say no, they wouldn't.

While I'm here. Glenn, SteB - would it be possible to remove that "Grand Poohbah of the Lahore Sect of Eel catchers" from under my Avatar? Obviously PETA are known for "direct action". I would just like to point out that I have never caught an eel, tried to catch an eel and have no intention of ever trying to catch an eel. It's odds on that they're far too quick for me. Thanks.

Haha, this is classic. The natural order of things dictates our position, if the dinosaurs were around today do you think they would be looking at the ethical treatment of humans?

Humans have a higher degree of conciousness, intelligence and rationale than dinosaurs - so that is a pretty silly question.

I'm a vegetarian too, and I have tried to convince myself that I can be okay with following rovers if the Venky's deal goes through, but I just couldn't do it. Others may feel differently, and that is fair enough, but I would feel that in supporting rovers, and paying money into rovers, I am in turn supporting Venky's disgusting treatment of animals.

Some of the comments on here have been bewildering to say the least, and have made me feel very uncomfortable with people's attitudes towards the meat industry, animals and those who support the rights of animals - so it is probably best for me to now leave this thread well alone.

One final point, is that I hope people can use this as a chance to educate themselves on the meat industry. We may all 'know' what goes on, but we do not all actually take the time out to think about and to consider what it is we are actually doing, and what it is we are eating, and what it is we are supporting, when we eat meat. This is an interesting video for anybody with an open mind to look into the industry (admittedly, probably at it's worst). http://www.earthlings.com/

Human's are destructive beings, with the capacity to be constructive.

I don't believe in unecessary cruelty to animals but give me a break, there is a reason we have those sharp teeth at the front.

PETA is a joke and anyone who supports them is a joke.

Sadly there is less and less that can be considered natural in our world. What's lacking is respect for the millions of other species that inhabit this planet and make it what it is.

We are the only species that assumes the planet belongs to us and we are entitled to plunder and despoil it without any regard even for future generations of homo sapiens let alone the rest.

We will only understand what we have done when it is too late. Reading some posts on here I think the dinosaurs are alive and kicking.

Humans have a higher degree of conciousness, intelligence and rationale than dinosaurs - so that is a pretty silly question

Well look how we have evolved in 100,000 years, the dinosaurs if were around today who knows what you would have. So no, I don't believe it be a silly question.

I know exactly what is happening and how we "get" our meat, I would be more for everyone learning how to fish, hunt or trap to obtain it but unfortunately we don't live in that unfunctional world anymore. I have these "types" approach me all the time on the street, "you wouldn't eat meat if you knew where it came from", Guess what? I do, and I simply don't care. It is your choice if you feel like you have a moral obligation to not eat meat and be vegetarian or vegan but please do not step in my way and tell me I shouldn't eat meat because it is something amoral.

Sadly there is less and less that can be considered natural in our world. What's lacking is respect for the millions of other species that inhabit this planet and make it what it is.

We are the only species that assumes the planet belongs to us and we are entitled to plunder and despoil it without any regard even for future generations of homo sapiens let alone the rest.

We will only understand what we have done when it is too late. Reading some posts on here I think the dinosaurs are alive and kicking.

Your comments suggest we have any ability to stop it from happening, we will continue to use and abuse and even when we try to do the right thing, we are still a pox on the landscape. A landscape in the future made of millions of square miles/km's of sun catching solar panels, windmills, unnatural mechanical turbines lining our coasts all so we can stop using coal and oil (as much).

Funny enough 98% of all documented species to live are now extinct, amazing as it is to some "green" a lot of that happened a long time before the industrial revolution.

Do you know how many meteors occur in the Earth's atmosphere every day? And we are only collecting those ones, imagine when we get a nice big one that smashes into the side of us? You are worried about a bit of Co2 in the atmosphere?

I will predict we will be one of the most short lived species to occupy this planet so live it while you can because there is nothing stopping us from the next biotic crisis.

So we've gone from debating the rights of chickens to would dinosaurs have felt the same about us if they had had the opportunity to evolve???

We're even now talking about meteors killing off the human race?

That really just leaves me with one question, what happened to football?

Well look how we have evolved in 100,000 years, the dinosaurs if were around today who knows what you would have. So no, I don't believe it be a silly question.

I know exactly what is happening and how we "get" our meat, I would be more for everyone learning how to fish, hunt or trap to obtain it but unfortunately we don't live in that unfunctional world anymore. I have these "types" approach me all the time on the street, "you wouldn't eat meat if you knew where it came from", Guess what? I do, and I simply don't care. It is your choice if you feel like you have a moral obligation to not eat meat and be vegetarian or vegan but please do not step in my way and tell me I shouldn't eat meat because it is something amoral.

Your comments suggest we have any ability to stop it from happening, we will continue to use and abuse and even when we try to do the right thing, we are still a pox on the landscape. A landscape in the future made of millions of square miles/km's of sun catching solar panels, windmills, unnatural mechanical turbines lining our coasts all so we can stop using coal and oil (as much).

Funny enough 98% of all documented species to live are now extinct, amazing as it is to some "green" a lot of that happened a long time before the industrial revolution.

Do you know how many meteors occur in the Earth's atmosphere every day? And we are only collecting those ones, imagine when we get a nice big one that smashes into the side of us? You are worried about a bit of Co2 in the atmosphere?

I will predict we will be one of the most short lived species to occupy this planet so live it while you can because there is nothing stopping us from the next biotic crisis.

Yes I'm worried about 'a bit of Co2 in the atmosphere". Given your scenario above there wouldn't seem to be much point worrying about a takeover of a football club.

Oh and by the way, you never mentioned the animals who if they could reply, would not cite meteors as their greatest enemy.

Yes I'm worried about 'a bit of Co2 in the atmosphere". Given your scenario above there wouldn't seem to be much point worrying about a takeover of a football club.

Oh and by the way, you never mentioned the animals who if they could reply, would not cite meteors as their greatest enemy.

So if all humans were vegetarians, all chickens would run free without fear or predator? It is plainly obvious that chickens are food, if not for us then every wild dog, cat, eagle or other predatory animal that decides they would like to have a crack at a drumstick.

As a human, a 3 second whirling blade with instant death would be much more appreciated then a stalking animal that wounds me until I bleed enough to gas out for it to pounce and prey on my still live carcass. Get a grip FFS.

At least you get my scenario, that is why I couldn't care less that they are chicken farmers, PETA and the like want to make these kinds of decisions life or death choices, I say, live a ###### little, life is cruel, evolution has put us at the top of the food chain for a little bit, get used to it

@Smithy, this thread is about PETA sticking their nose into the decision of the sale of a football club, there is a takeover thread for those who feel that an opinion needs to be voiced that the club has made the wrong decision

So if all humans were vegetarians, all chickens would run free without fear or predator? It is plainly obvious that chickens are food, if not for us then every wild dog, cat, eagle or other predatory animal that decides they would like to have a crack at a drumstick.

God-its hard to believe anyone could be so thick. Of course I know that chickens are food, I eat them! They are raised to provide eggs and meat and I suppose someone still does something with the feathers. Thats natural, battery farms are not.

Its about how they live their lives and how they are killed.

And soya milk tastes horrible.

I have it with tea and cereal. Maybe an acquired taste, though. I try to cut down on the amount of cow's milk I consume, for the sheer fact that it's bizarre that we humans drink it.

I have eaten horse, dog, dolphin and baby seal. Am I at threat from these PETA nutters?

ps. seal and dolphin are very nice if cooked properly. I will look out a recipy if anyone is interested.

....and during my business trips to Japan, I've eaten live fish and seen lobsters immersed in a bowl of Sake and "drown" by osmosis-ing the alcohol into their bodies - but they do taste nice! However raw Sea-slug is the nearest thing to sh*t on a plate from both a texture and taste point of view (don't ask)

I have it with tea and cereal. Maybe an acquired taste, though. I try to cut down on the amount of cow's milk I consume, for the sheer fact that it's bizarre that we humans drink it.

I enjoy soya milk too and to cut down on cows milk I use it on cerials or just drinkl it as is.. It is delicious and great to help you cut down on the dairy you take in. As I understand it the human digestive system was never designed to digest lactose. Having said that I still believe that some are using the animal welfare thing to oppose the venky's takeover. While I accept that every fan has the right to their opposition as I said before take your protest at animal welfare to the local Mosques and Synagogues.

So we've gone from debating the rights of chickens to would dinosaurs have felt the same about us if they had had the opportunity to evolve???

That really just leaves me with one question, what happened to football?

FOOTBALL AT EWOOD DIED THE MOMENT ZZZZZZAMASOREARSE TOOK OVER AND PLAYED HIS PREHISTORIC STYLE. Its a wonder he hasnt signed captain caveman as lone striker.

....and during my business trips to Japan, I've eaten live fish and seen lobsters immersed in a bowl of Sake and "drown" by osmosis-ing the alcohol into their bodies - but they do taste nice! However raw Sea-slug is the nearest thing to sh*t on a plate from both a texture and taste point of view (don't ask)

Japan: you must get some good trips from Risley?

God-its hard to believe anyone could be so thick. Of course I know that chickens are food, I eat them! They are raised to provide eggs and meat and I suppose someone still does something with the feathers. Thats natural, battery farms are not.

Its about how they live their lives and how they are killed.

Other then the thick comment which I think was rude, I agree with your points, I will apologise as I thought you were a vegetarian standing up for PETA's position.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Archived