BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Venky's marketing

philipl

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read through this topic yet as I have only just managed to get through the actual takeover thread, but I am a bit confused by the news of a possible name change for the ground. It would be great to keep the name, but I am open to a change if it is to bring in extra revenue that will then be invested in the team, but surely by calling it "Venkys Ewood" or something along those lines we won't actually be increasing our revenue? Wouldn't the idea be to put it out to auction and wait for the highest bidder rather than simply look for a boost for our new owners?

Of course this is their decision and if they are going to be pumping millions into the club then I would have no complaints either way, but it would appear that their intention is run the club reasonably sensibly and it would be rather short-sighted to not fully exploit renaming the ground if you are happy to make the change in the first place.

I agree with Eddie. It would generate publicity for Venkys, but no direct income for Rovers, unless they pay for it too. Something like that would get us about 5-10 million pounds a year, based on how much Arsenal and Hamburg are getting right now with Emirates and AOL respectively.

Venky's Marketting. Recommendations? is the thread title.

Given the disastrous start to the PR campaign and especially the links posted on this site in the last 24 hours there are two key points:

Retain John Williams for as long as possible - his is the only voice we have learnt to trust

Grasp the enormous difference in language use. We speak the same language but can place very different understanding on the same words.

Given the disastrous start to the PR campaign and especially the links posted on this site in the last 24 hours there are two key points:

Retain John Williams for as long as possible - his is the only voice we have learnt to trust

Grasp the enormous difference in language use. We speak the same language but can place very different understanding on the same words.

In what way has it been disastrous? A few internet messageboard posters running around whinging? Happens all the time these days and is meaningless chatter. Do NASA worry about their PR because people on the internet think the moon landings were faked?

The Rovers board resigning en masse would have been a disastrous start.

In what way has it been disastrous? A few internet messageboard posters running around whinging? Happens all the time these days and is meaningless chatter. Do NASA worry about their PR because people on the internet think the moon landings were faked?

Surely a live press conference at Ewood would have been best. Its clear that whats been said has been misconstrued as so far we have been told our players have no confidence, we're looking for a new coach and our ground is being renamed Venky's Edwood park. Clarity needs to raise its head and soon.

Sky news has said they will be on the pitch before the game so I'm keen to see the reaction they receive.

Buy Sunil Chhetri!

He's the poster boy of Indian football. People relate to the players far more than they do the owners. He's been close to moves to Celtic and QPR in the past, he'd be okay as a squad player.

Everton got a couple of unknown Chinese players over for marketing reasons and they turned into decent squad players. They would go absolutely berserk over there if their best player made it to EPL.

I can't imagine anything else will be enough to capture imaginations otherwise. Even if we just gave him 5/10 minutes here and there, I bet they'd be tuning in to see him play.

I know Sunil a bit and have seen him play a few times. He is a really nice, intelligent guy and India's best player but is not Premier League standard. He was on loan to MLS team Kansas for three months but rarely made the first team and QPR's interest was all marketing. Fans back home quickly lose patience and interest when their player isn't playing.

I know Sunil a bit and have seen him play a few times. He is a really nice, intelligent guy and India's best player but is not Premier League standard. He was on loan to MLS team Kansas for three months but rarely made the first team and QPR's interest was all marketing. Fans back home quickly lose patience and interest when their player isn't playing.

I have lost the article now, but there is a quote from Venky's saying exactly what I suggested - they want to bring in an Indian player.

If Sunil is their best player but not good enough, that does pose a bit a problem. Is he definitely not good enough to be a squad player? He looks like he's a hard worker with decent pace and technique, could he not be a decent wide striker in our formation?

There are videos of him on Youtube coming on as a substitute against Man Utd in a friendly. Literally just videos of him entering the field! It would be such a low cost/risk move that I think it's worth a shot.

Honest question, I know Park's had a big impact for Man U in South Korea but what about the Bolton lad, whose name temporarily escapes me?

You're right. Park has had a very big impact for MAn U and has brought in considerable revenue. Even Seoul city government sponsors the club.

Lee at Bolton, not so much. As soon as players start to do well, fans/media in Korea or Japan etc want them to move to a bigger club.

For Bolton, the best chance to make money from Lee would be to look for a Korean company to sponsor them but that is not easy.

It is only the big clubs who can really make money in East Asia and can benefit commercially by signing players from the region.

India is the one. There would be huge interest if any PL club signed an Indian player (of course, there are work permit issues) but as yet, there is nobody anywhere near good enough as recent 9-1 and 5-0 defeats at the respective hands of Kuwait and UAE show.

I have lost the article now, but there is a quote from Venky's saying exactly what I suggested - they want to bring in an Indian player.

If Sunil is their best player but not good enough, that does pose a bit a problem. Is he definitely not good enough to be a squad player? He looks like he's a hard worker with decent pace and technique, could he not be a decent wide striker in our formation?

There are videos of him on Youtube coming on as a substitute against Man Utd in a friendly. Literally just videos of him entering the field! It would be such a low cost/risk move that I think it's worth a shot.

IIRC, he played for Kansas in Man U's tour of the US. That was also not too well-received at home as Kansas weren't playing him in the league but were quick to stick on their Indian guy when Man U came to town.

I don't think he is good enough (he does play in a poor team though)but perhaps we'll see at the Asian Cup when he plays against Australia and South Korea.

Oh come on, we didn't sign Julio Santa Cruz for footballing reasons, I'm sure we can stretch to this Indian lad.

Bit different though. If you are signing a player for commercial reasons (and he'd struggle for a work permit anyway), then you are going to fail if you sign one that never plays.

I agree with Eddie. It would generate publicity for Venkys, but no direct income for Rovers, unless they pay for it too. Something like that would get us about 5-10 million pounds a year, based on how much Arsenal and Hamburg are getting right now with Emirates and AOL respectively.

stadium naming hasnt taken off over here like it has in the states. people have been talking it up recently, but its not the cash cow that many clubs were hoping for.

Arsenal and Hamburg are 2 huge clubs - we would never get anywhere close to those sums.

The issue for me is Venky's have suddenly given several interviews, differing in content, in India, eacg of which was wide-open to misinterpretation. I would have thought it a good idea to issue a statement or give a single press conference to all media to avoid confusion.

I am in the undecided camp as regards the takeover, I'm not going to get excited one way or the other however the statements attributed to Venky's in the last 3-4 days could be interpreted in all sorts of ways. I don't think this is a very positive start to owning a football club. Personally I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on all of it, the only thing I'm holding on to is the suggestion we will see things start to happen "in a couple of months."

I'd suggest the polite round of applause followed by Ewood Park being so quiet as to hear a pin drop spoke volumes (mind you the awful first half didn't help) about how fans feel. We don't know what to expect and to bring us on side we need a little more information than is being given.

The issue for me is Venky's have suddenly given several interviews, differing in content, in India, eacg of which was wide-open to misinterpretation. I would have thought it a good idea to issue a statement or give a single press conference to all media to avoid confusion.

I am in the undecided camp as regards the takeover, I'm not going to get excited one way or the other however the statements attributed to Venky's in the last 3-4 days could be interpreted in all sorts of ways. I don't think this is a very positive start to owning a football club. Personally I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on all of it, the only thing I'm holding on to is the suggestion we will see things start to happen "in a couple of months."

I'd suggest the polite round of applause followed by Ewood Park being so quiet as to hear a pin drop spoke volumes (mind you the awful first half didn't help) about how fans feel. We don't know what to expect and to bring us on side we need a little more information than is being given.

The Walker Trust way of doing things was be neither seen nor heard, JW was the focal point of the club's hierarchy and it served us well. However, with the new owners, I'm with you Paul in so far as should'nt there be some kind of press conference/Telegraph interview outlining their plans?

Perhaps, I am jumping the gun and the wheels are in motion for such an event, wait and see, i suppose.

Looking at their most recent comments following the takeover, I don't see how they could give away more detail as there is nothing else to say at the moment - they appear to be undecided on a number of areas.

They said they might look for a sponsor for Ewood - nothing is obviously finalised there even though it is likely this will happen.

They have suggested the brand could be stronger, we will play in India and will probably have some sort of training camp/academy over there - signing an Indian player is also a possibility.

Aside from marketing, on the future of Big Sam, they have said he is manager for now however not outrightly said they back him 100% etc - words were: we have not taken any decision to change the team or its members.

Additionally, no talks have taken place yet between manager or the new owners and it is still not known (by the manager) what money will be available for new signings in January....

Looking at their most recent comments following the takeover, I don't see how they could give away more detail as there is nothing else to say at the moment - they appear to be undecided on a number of areas.

Sorry I don't believe the Trust would have sold if Venky's had not been able to provide a reasonably detailed business plan. Certainly enough to keep the fans happy.

They said they might look for a sponsor for Ewood - nothing is obviously finalised there even though it is likely this will happen.

They have suggested the brand could be stronger, we will play in India and will probably have some sort of training camp over there - signing an Indian player is also a possibility.

Aside from marketing, on the future of Big Sam, they have said he is manager for now however not outrightly said they back him 100% etc - words were: we have not taken any decision to change the team or its members.

Agreed but they have said all of this in ways which lead to misunderstanding

No talks have taken place between manager or the new owners and it is still not known by the manager what money will be available for new signings in January....

This one, not shooting the messenger, I simply do not believe. Tom Finn and John Williams apart Allardyce is the KEY employee and for Venky's not to speak to him during the purchase negotiations is unbelievable. Sam might well have been thinking " I don't like the sound of this, if they buy I'm off" - no one would spend £53m buying a club without being certain ALL the key employees would remain for a period.

Can only go by their comments Paul, as I said there seems (from their comments) to be a number of issues they are not decided on at this moment in time.

Also I very much doubt they have had detailed discussions with Sam yet - this has been clearly stated from the manager over the weekend. He seems very keen to speak with them as I mentioned in another plans.

Also on Sam's future one of the brothers (on SSN) and Ms Desai's comments (which were provided separately) said they have not made a decision yet on his future.

apologies for the duplication - i'd posted this in the wrong thread:

I think Tata Steel would be perfect and a fitting nod to Jack. They (and the Tata Group) are Indian, flippin MASSIVE, growing, have a UK and European presence and don't conflict with Venky's interests. I imagine it'd be advantageous for Venky's to associate themselves with a group of that size too...

They even have blue and white branding! http://www.tatasteeleurope.com/en/

I've no objections to renaming and to be honest I doubt Jack would have... he was a business man. And as several have already said it'll always be Ewood to us.

Any other suggetsions folks... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_of_India

Archived