SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Venky's marketing

philipl

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before we start launching into India we need to get the basics correct:

1. Leave John Williams as the voice of the club. Paul rightly points out, he is the voice we trust.

2. Back the Sam Allardyce with the budget his outstanding work deserves.

3. Cement our position as a top 10 club

Build a team, the brand will follow.

I believe that they see the exposure that the Premier League has in Europe/Asia/Africa and cannot find a better vehicle to market their name/brand than a top 10 club in the most watched league in the world. It would cost them millions and millions in advertising to make the kind of impact owning and no doubt being on the front of our shirts would make in asia and africa. This way they also get to own a football club...

I'm optimistic about this...they seem to have their heads screwed on this bunch.

Before we start launching into India we need to get the basics correct:

1. Leave John Williams as the voice of the club. Paul rightly points out, he is the voice we trust.

2. Back the Sam Allardyce with the budget his outstanding work deserves.

3. Cement our position as a top 10 club

Build a team, the brand will follow.

No time to waste though really. There are plenty of signs we won't be the only Indian-owned PL club for long. At the least you'd expect QPR are coming up next season. We need to take advantage whilst we've got it.

This one, not shooting the messenger, I simply do not believe. Tom Finn and John Williams apart Allardyce is the KEY employee and for Venky's not to speak to him during the purchase negotiations is unbelievable. Sam might well have been thinking " I don't like the sound of this, if they buy I'm off" - no one would spend £53m buying a club without being certain ALL the key employees would remain for a period.

I have also found this very strange indeed Paul,surely a meeting with the manager to highlight their plans would have been one of the priorities? :unsure:

I have also found this very strange indeed Paul,surely a meeting with the manager to highlight their plans would have been one of the priorities? :unsure:

Really? I would never have expected it. They were negotiating with the owners - why on earth share plans with Sam when they had no guarantee they would become the owners and other bidders were still knocking around. Plus, beneath the owners is the Chairman and then under him is Sam. Now is the time to be meeting with him.

I have never been involved in a transaction in which the key people were not spoken to prior to the acquisition being completed. Obviously there are critical sensitivities involved and such conversations are handled with the utmost care (or should be).

After all, what is a business if it is not the people in it.

Marketing:

• Pre-Season tour of India...3 or 4 games in packed out stands, including 1 against the National team
  • Academy set up in India
  • Run soccer schools throughout India
  • Sign 2 or 3 young Indian talents
  • Sign someone like Honda which will appeal to the rest of Asia and gain us much more interest that side too (Prior to Hong Kong trip)
  • Look for hoarding sponsorship, stand sponsorship, shirt sponsorship, kit manufacture all from India/ Asia...NOT the stadium naming rights yet.
  • Social Media contact in all countries - facebook, twitter and whatever else is out their.
  • Multiple language options of the Rovers site
  • Set up initiatives/ coach trips to try and win fans accross the local area - preston, lakes, lancaster etc
  • Set up supporters clubs in places like India, China, USA, Australia etc
  • Make Radio Rovers global via the internet
  • Make Rovers TV available on some sort of foreign subscription TV....no major prices needed to be a winner, showing features on the club, the academy/ reserve games, interviews, highlights, advertising etc.

All I can say is having been one of three key employees in a company that was being takeover the buyers insisted on talking to myself and my colleagues.

Well, the compamy I worked for did over 50 acquisitions in my time and not once did they meet with people 2 tiers below the ownership to run their post-acquisition plans past them, so I guess we are all prisoners of our past experiences. Plus, add in they live thousands of miles away and have a sprawling and rapidly growing business to run.

Anyway, this deal is going to stand or fall on the big issues, not who met with whom when. How much are they going to invest, how are they going to grow the revenue stream and how are they going to integrate the club into their overall business? Whether or not Allardyce likes what he hears, they will almost certainly be here long after he has gone.

Marketing:

• Pre-Season tour of India...3 or 4 games in packed out stands, including 1 against the National team
  • Sign someone like Honda which will appeal to the rest of Asia and gain us much more interest that side too (Prior to Hong Kong trip)
  • Look for hoarding sponsorship, stand sponsorship, shirt sponsorship, kit manufacture all from India/ Asia...NOT the stadium naming rights yet.
  • Social Media contact in all countries - facebook, twitter and whatever else is out their.
  • Set up initiatives/ coach trips to try and win fans accross the local area - preston, lakes, lancaster etc
  • Make Rovers TV available on some sort of foreign subscription TV....no major prices needed to be a winner, showing features on the club, the academy/ reserve games, interviews, highlights, advertising etc.

I think the TV part is something they have already mentioned. That is maybe the first area they will look at as that would be the advertising they would need to do the other things you mentioned. Anyway it is not just India they are looking at, but Asia as a whole. That includes singapore, malaysia, chine and hong kong etc etc.

I have never been involved in a transaction in which the key people were not spoken to prior to the acquisition being completed. Obviously there are critical sensitivities involved and such conversations are handled with the utmost care (or should be).

After all, what is a business if it is not the people in it.

Clearly the making of mountains from molehills continues unabated from those who didn't support the VH takeover. Sam is a key person and he says he's met them three times, obviously twice before the takeover and once on Sunday. So he has been" spoken to".

He now says he awaits "DETAILED DISCUSSIONS" with them and is "excited" about it. I'm guessing he hasn't yet presented a detailed proposal listing his January targets and they haven't told him how much they're willing to let him spend. Whatever the sum is it will be far higher that the zilch we would have got from the Trust.

In the meantime it would be nice if the undermining ceased and we all chilled out and waited for events to unfold.

Clearly the making of mountains from molehills continues unabated from those who didn't support the VH takeover. Sam is a key person and he says he's met them three times, obviously twice before the takeover and once on Sunday. So he has been" spoken to".

He now says he awaits "DETAILED DISCUSSIONS" with them and is "excited" about it. I'm guessing he hasn't yet presented a detailed proposal listing his January targets and they haven't told him how much they're willing to let him spend. Whatever the sum is it will be far higher that the zilch we would have got from the Trust.

In the meantime it would be nice if the undermining ceased and we all chilled out and waited for events to unfold.

Have you read anything I have been posting?

Yes I was (and would still be) worried sick about Jerome Anderson's side of Kentaro having any say whatsoever over Rovers but I have been solidly and sensibly critically supportive of Venky's from being the first person to publish a profile of them on here.

I was simply responding to EiT who has something of a chip on his shoulder about my posts.

I think there are very good signs but all sides inevitably have an enormous amount to learn about each other.

Only bradford, burnley & bolton have as much if many asains than blackburn... So in a way we have the advantage...

No time to waste though really. There are plenty of signs we won't be the only Indian-owned PL club for long. At the least you'd expect QPR are coming up next season. We need to take advantage whilst we've got it.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

The point about not having time to lose is that Venky's have got to make use of first mover advantage in the Indian market FAST.

They are not likely to be on their own as Indian owners of a PL club for very long. At most until QPR get promoted.

Yes I was (and would still be) worried sick about Jerome Anderson's side of Kentaro having any say whatsoever over Rovers but I have been solidly and sensibly critically supportive of Venky's from being the first person to publish a profile of them on here.

I was simply responding to EiT who has something of a chip on his shoulder about my posts.

I think there are very good signs but all sides inevitably have an enormous amount to learn about each other.

I've fead everything you've written and remembered it!

You've had more positions than the Karma Sutra so its inevitable that at some point you were pro the VH bid! However for a long time you were pushing Syed's barrow even though it was obvious to almost everyone else that his bid was not going to be accepted.

All I'm saying is that you and others keep feeding off little scraps and making negative speculation. Running with the idea that the VH bid would be leveraged was one example, this pathetic attempt to make out that the manager has been frozen out of contact with the owners is just another.

You've clearly misread or misunderstood the point which was being discussed and used Philip's remark to have yet another pop at people you seem to dislike. It's very tedious.

You've clearly misread or misunderstood the point which was being discussed and used Philip's remark to have yet another pop at people you seem to dislike. It's very tedious.

Pathetic. Disagreeing with someone is now "having a pop" is it? Lets all agree then------the takeover has been a nightmare and the sky will fall in.

Marketing:

Some good ideas Hughesy

I do agree with Philipl about the halved shirts, they are steeped in history (not just the clubs) and are a throw back to the roots of the game – they are unique – Exploit! (never understood why the away shirt hasn’t always been a colour alternative to the home shirt!). Agreed they also need to act quickly to cash in on the ‘first Indian owners’ avenue.

As supports we do need to wake up as far as the corporate sponsorship of Ewood is concerned - its the way of the world these days and an avenue we need to explore. I do agree the brand needs building first before we go changing the name of our ground as any deal needs to be very profitable and long term. Don’t want to see the name of the ground changed every two or three years.

These guys, from what I have seen, seem well connected within their own country and rub shoulders with the some high profiles. Bollywood must be a vehicle for some kind of exposure, cue those Blue and White halves.

If I was in their marketing team the first thing I would do would be to advertise the club and the fact that they own us on all of their packaging. Leave the shirt sponsorship to someone who wants to pay for it.

Something I think we have all over looked is that so far we have concentrated on Indian companies using us as an advertising vehicle. What about blue chip companies from outside of India, that want to tap into that expanding market. Exploit!

I just hope these guys have some good PR and Marketing behind them and that they are all reved up and ready to roll it out. The club and new owners have a window of opportunity here I just hope they recognise this and act accordingly – do it right and I don’t think recouping 40-50mill will be a problem and that can only be good for us all.

Hang on a minute here------didn't you post that, knowing what you knew, you couldn't understand why the Trust had gone for Venkys and not Syed? Did I dream that?

Some good ideas Hughesy

I do agree with Philipl about the halved shirts, they are steeped in history (not just the clubs) and are a throw back to the roots of the game – they are unique – Exploit!

Something I think we have all over looked is that so far we have concentrated on Indian companies using us as an advertising vehicle. What about blue chip companies from outside of India, that want to tap into that expanding market. Exploit!

do it right and I don’t think recouping 40-50mill will be a problem and that can only be good for us all.

Thanks

Yes I agree on the away shirt too...been saying it for about 5 years now...nothing wrong with changing colours of it, just make it so the halved shirt is kind of a symbol of our club...everyone already recognises the blue n white halves as ours.

Bluechip companies & others trying to crack India...VERY good point.

As for recouping £50m - I too agree it should be fairly easy. The club itself should be making an annual profit of £5m or so if its now debt free & the wage bill was reduced as was believed to make the club more inviting to buyers. (I know we are not sure if it is or not)

Hang on a minute here------didn't you post that, knowing what you knew, you couldn't understand why the Trust had gone for Venkys and not Syed? Did I dream that?

Do you realise how tedius it is becoming to read the same stuff regurgitated in every way possible?

This message board is becoming infected with petty squabbles, and its painful to trawl through pages of crap before reading something with substance.

Give us all a break.

Do you realise how tedius it is becoming to read the same stuff regurgitated in every way possible?

This message board is becoming infected with petty squabbles, and its painful to trawl through pages of crap before reading something with substance.

Give us all a break.

Why should I care? I've got what i wanted all along. I'll leave the moaning to the usuals.

Archived