BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A Royal Wedding

Interesting point, actually, the security. I noted that the first people whining about the cuts were the police, before they even knew how much the cuts were going to affect them. Bet they aren't whining about this wedding.

Prince Charles IS paying for the wedding. It's the security costs that are £40m. Bear in mind that dignitaries from across the world will be invited including Presidents.

£640+m projected to be generated from this wedding. £40m security costs. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Plus the feel-good factor etc already mentioned.

Perhaps those who are not happy could start an anti-celebration club, you could get some booze and food in on the day ... wait :unsure:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I have no interest in this but neither do I have a problem with those who see it as a great opportunity for national celebration - which surely is a good thing in grim times for many.

Business wise we are watching developments carefully. I've heard rumour it could be April (bad for us) and would prefer mid June (good for us). We shall see. I hope they avoid Easter / May bank holiday as the country will be close to shutdown already and a wedding then could bring my retailers to a grinding halt.

Friday 29th April at Westminster Abbey, and it's a Bank Holiday :)

Oh good grief this could not be worse timing. So we have

Friday 22nd Good Friday

Monday 25th Easter Monday

Friday 29th Wedding

Monday 2nd May Day

I'd like to meet the numpty who planned that lot. Might as well shut the frigging country down

Oh good grief this could not be worse timing. So we have

Friday 22nd Good Friday

Monday 25th Easter Monday

Friday 29th Wedding

Monday 2nd May Day

I'd like to meet the numpty who planned that lot. Might as well shut the frigging country down

Didn't have you down as a Curmudgeon !

Didn't have you down as a Curmudgeon !

Oh I'm not it's just from a business point of view this is a nightmare. I'm in a very seasonal business, 80% of annual turnover usually achieved in 10-12 weeks from mid-March to early June. Our sales season traditionally starts at Easter with that holiday and the two May holidays representing huge peaks. With a late Easter our industry was already forecasting the biggest demand spike we have collectively seen in years add in a Royal Wedding and it will either be unsustainable or completely flat! People will be able to get 11 days off work just by taking 3 days annual leave......................not in our company though!

Oh I'm not it's just from a business point of view this is a nightmare. I'm in a very seasonal business, 80% of annual turnover usually achieved in 10-12 weeks from mid-March to early June. Our sales season traditionally starts at Easter with that holiday and the two May holidays representing huge peaks. With a late Easter our industry was already forecasting the biggest demand spike we have collectively seen in years add in a Royal Wedding and it will either be unsustainable or completely flat! People will be able to get 11 days off work just by taking 3 days annual leave......................not in our company though!

Bloody brilliant. An extra long holiday for the nation for the surrender of 3 days hols. Miserable sod. Get on with it. Doesn't matter to me as I am retired but it's great for the vast majority of the public. I hope your employees pull a sicky. :D

Bloody brilliant. An extra long holiday for the nation for the surrender of 3 days hols. Miserable sod. Get on with it. Doesn't matter to me as I am retired but it's great for the vast majority of the public. I hope your employees pull a sicky. :D

Really. Ever been an employer? For us it's like Tesco having to shut on Christmas Eve, wouldn't happen.

Sounds like a right pallava....what do you sell?

Yes and I cared for my employees well being as well as my own.

The implication being?

Let me explain we supply a perishable product to the retail market with 80% of turnover and 95% of net profit generated in a 10-12 week window. This sales period usually begins with Easter, in 2011 it will begin before Easter because of the Easter date, and ends sometime early to mid-June. Our retail customers expect just in time delivery and will be open over the 4 bank holidays in 11 days which effectively gives most of the nation 8 days off work in 11. This is a peak trading time for our entire industry with our product contributing 20% of annual turnover for most customers. The industry was already forecasting a massive demand spike with Easter and May Day falling on consecutive weekends, adding another public holiday will make this very difficult. Anyone who works in my industry, from wagon driver to MD, knows there are no holidays to be taken, public or annual, in this period as we would not be able to fulfill our committments if we did. It is not a question of caring about employees, it's simply what we all have to do. This is when we earn the money to pay the wages in December and January when we have zero sales!

From another view I'm less convinced this is good for country. Yes a national celebration should happen and will be great for morale and no doubt will fuel a spending boom. It does though have the potential for large numbers of people to be absent from work in an almost Christmas-like atmosphere (nothing ever gets done for two weeks at Christmas / New Year) and I'm not sure this is a good idea. I feel a date later in June would have been more sensible. That's all. Headline in the Daily Mirror today "8 Days ORF"

Sounds like a right pallava....what do you sell?

Bedding plants!!

Paul,

I'm sure that there are many other businesses that are seasonal and their workers understand this and are prepared to work at times that other people do not, provided of course you are not employing a bunch of foreign workers on minimum wage who don't care about the business. My son for instance works for an internet hotel who have to be open 365/24/7. He knows that and gets on with it.

However they do not come onto an internet site whinging that something that benefits the whole country is inconvenient for them. Instead they make sure that their workers are compensated for the inconvenience and get on with it.

Easter must be inconvenient for you this year, after all 4days annual leave would give them 11days off anyway. Maybe the Pope will move it for you.

Looks like a good long week to pack the tent and go off somewhere where there is no TV and climb some mountains.

Strangely enough, I remember when that Diana woman was buried I did a long one over Kinder Scout in Derbyshire. There were loads of people up there too who I thought would have prefered to be at home with the TV; a box of tissues; and waving one card from a pack.

Just goes to show what I know.

How anyone can have an interest in a wedding between two people they don't know is beyond me.

But there's nowt as queer as folk. As the old saw goes.

Archived