BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Representative Teams

Something to while away the hours before the next game. Can you select a better team from the Scots who've played for the Rovers in the last 50 years ? Here's my team-

Adam Blacklaw

Christian Dailly

Colin Hendry

John McNammee

Callum Davidson

Ian Miller

Barry Ferguson

Bobby Craig (one for the old timers)

Ally McCleod

Kevin Gallagher

David Speedie

Subs B McKinlay, P Gallagher, D Shearer, Joe Craig, Frank Kopel,

I did an Irish ( Combined) Team as well-

Alan Kelly

Jason McAteer

Alan Hunter

Kevin Moran

Jeff Kenna

Keith Gillespie

Eamon Rogers

Mick McGrath

Damien Duff

Andy McEvoy

Derick Dougan

Subs- Alan Fettis, Frank Stapleton, Noel Brotherston, Steven Reid, Keith Andrews.

On top form I'd swap that side for the team we have now I think.

Other line ups to consider- An other nationalities team, an England team, and a " bargains " team.

Lastly my team of players who all started their careers at Rovers-

John Butcher

Keith Newton

Mike England

Phil Jones

John Bailey

David Dunn

Ronnie Clayton

Bryan Douglas

Damien Duff

Fred Pickering

John Byrom

Subs

Jim Arnold

Eamon Rogers

Stuart Metcalfe

Kevin Hird

James Beattie

I agree about Dailly and Davidson but I was making up the numbers. I thought Ferguson was better than that, he certainly is at Brum. Scott Sellars, Mm , born in Sheffield . Good try though. Jim Arnold played his first league game for Rovers I think.

Sorry, When I said John Butcher I really meant Paul Bradshaw, the guy we sold to Wolves for a lot of dosh.

Paul Bradshaw in goal in the home-grown team

Derek Fazackerley (500 + apps) has to be centre half - Jones has proved nowt yet

Simon Garner up front - or did he come from Boston United ?

David May on subs bench

Vernon, Dobing - were they home-produced ?

My Other nationalities team - Probably more relevant to most modern day fans.

Friedel

Berg

Samba

Henchoz

Neill

Emerton

Berkovic

Tugay

Bohinen

Hakan Sukur

McCarthy

Subs

Filan

Perez

Nelsen

Wegerle

Santa Cruz

A bit un balanced but the sort of team that would win 5-4 most weeks !

Hakan Sukur?! Are we going on their form throughout their career or their performances for us? He only scored two goals for us!

Christmas 97 when we looked like we might even win the league and we 2nd I think, he was in excellent form, he got badly injuried after that season.

But my fav player 97/98.

If Dailly can get in the team

I thought Mckinlay was a pretty decent player for us as well. I also thought Ferguson was really beginning to find his feet before he got injured and looked like he would make a real difference. I wish we'd moved for him when Birmingham snagged him for 1.2 million.

No he wasn't...he was very much average.

Scot - Steve Archibald

Irish - Stapleton, Moran

International - Osvaldo

2 good calls there- Archibald and Ardiles. I thought I chose Moran and Stapleton ! Jim Royle- Thanks for those words about Noel Brotherston- you're right of course.

No but you've got Hird and Metcalfe on the bench, I'd put a Premier League medal holder on the bench ahead of them to be honest.

Wilcox before Hird and Metcalfe ? Not for me.

In the Scottish side I'd have Billy McKinley instead of Bobby Craig alongside Ferguson.

We were going great guns with McKinley and Flitcroft in midfield while Sherwood was injured. Then Sherwood returned to replace Billy and it was downhill from there.

Jason Wilcox was one of the finest left wingers to grace the Ewood turf. I'm not saying he was better than some of these but he should be included in the hall of fame with:- Langton, McLeod, Harrison, Wagstaffe, Sellars and Duff. I've seen all of them.

Shearer would never have scored his thirty a season without the help of the consistently wonderful crosses from our home grown Jason. Just watch the recordings of those terrific seasons.

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived