BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Best / Worst Loan Signings ever

Herbie6590

He was a free transfer and not a loan signing, IIRC?

Anyway, Steve Archibald was by far the best. Put about 8,000 on the gate overnight.

Ardiles was the other big name but Nicky Marker crocked him before he could play at Ewood.

I saw them both play at Ewood, ISTR.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never said he didn't eventually play at Ewood.

However, Ardiles was crocked at Plymouth in his first game, before he played at Ewood.

While he did play at Ewood, he was recovering from injury then, and our momentum had been lost by then as well.

Ah, right, I see what you mean now. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick.

Ah, right, I see what you mean now. Thanks for clarifying. Sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick.

You don't have to apologise - I wasn't clear enough in my first post, and you were right that Ardiles did play at Ewood.

I do wonder if Marker had not made that tackle if we would have been promoted. I think, yes.

Never did like Marker. Thought he was a crap, kicking thug for us, as well, when he joined. Mind you, I never really forgot what he did.

I rated Nonda

I volunteered to do a job in London, and was rewarded by Hakan Suker when he decided to single handedly dismantle Fulham

The grim ones, there are so many, Blobby Fowler, was he a loan, either way he was totally pish

Worst has to be Benjani by quite some distance.

Presumably he has a performance based element to his contract so he seemingly saunters onto the pitch for a few minutes to trigger his payment and invariably doesnt see the game out. Even when coming on as sub.

Quite embarrasing and an insult to the blue and white halves.

in fairness Gresko wasnt that bad until we gave him a contract!

archibald , and mark grew stand out for me , and who remembers a dodgy russian keeper we had on loan about the same time

Worst has to be Benjani by quite some distance.

Presumably he has a performance based element to his contract so he seemingly saunters onto the pitch for a few minutes to trigger his payment and invariably doesnt see the game out. Even when coming on as sub.

Quite embarrasing and an insult to the blue and white halves.

Pity he wasn't a loan.

in fairness Gresko wasnt that bad until we gave him a contract!

archibald , and mark grew stand out for me , and who remembers a dodgy russian keeper we had on loan about the same time

I seem to remember a German keeper who I thought was a trial, Klaus Reitmeier?

Kevin Arnott played two seperate loan stints for us on loan from the mighty Sheffield united where he couldn't get in their team. He was a class act for us. As for the years - I think promotion yr 1980 and nearly promotion year 1981 - am I right? somebody help me out!

Kevin Arnott played two seperate loan stints for us on loan from the mighty Sheffield united where he couldn't get in their team. He was a class act for us. As for the years - I think promotion yr 1980 and nearly promotion year 1981 - am I right? somebody help me out!

I had been thinking about Arnott in this context-especially his first loan spell.

He was definitely with us 81/2 as I have just looked up Mike Jackman's book and found he scored for us that season.

I suspect, but can't confirm, that would have been his first spell.

Did he come from Sheffield United or Sunderland?

Worst loanee - has to be Keeley. He went to Everton with a brilliant reputation - possibly our most saleable asset at the time (behind Garner - never understand why nobody came in for him in his prime) - one horror match against Dalglish and Rush and his sale value went through the floor.

Arnott was one of my favourites - head an shoulders above anything we had in midfield at the time.

Re which club he came from :-

Sunderland - 81 - 82 loan spell

Sheffield - 82 - 83 loan spell

He played a total of 28 games (1 sub) - and scored 3 goals

Has anyone got a programme or a link to the teams in Simon Garners first testamonial game (agsinst Newcastle i think??) i'm sure the Russian keeper played in that

Worst loanee - has to be Keeley. He went to Everton with a brilliant reputation - possibly our most saleable asset at the time (behind Garner - never understand why nobody came in for him in his prime) - one horror match against Dalglish and Rush and his sale value went through the floor.

Disaster for him, but wonderful for Rovers. He was superb for us for years after. What would have happened to the cash if he had been sold? It certainly wouldn't have gone on players.

Cheers WB!

• Guest changed the title to Best / Worst Loan Signings ever
  • Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived