SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves Preview 04/11/10

OhmiBRFC

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

In all seriousness how is the weather looking up with you guys. I'm due to drive up for this one but a bit worried I'll get all the way there and it'll be off.

Snowed for a good few solid hours today the risk is if it continues then freezes it won't be safe around the ground.

The rearrange villa game should never have gone ahead last year IMO it wasn't safe on the streets around the ground.

Sitting here near brighton with 7 inches of snow and cant get the car out the drive (might as well be 3 feet of snow, southerners cant cope with snow at all), have tickets for the game and equally nervous about the early Saturday morning drive up...

In all seriousness how is the weather looking up with you guys. I'm due to drive up for this one but a bit worried I'll get all the way there and it'll be off.

could be touch and go although it forecasts sunny for Friday temp zero and temp slightly higher on Saturday, so theoretically should be ok.

Sitting here near brighton with 7 inches of snow and cant get the car out the drive (might as well be 3 feet of snow, southerners cant cope with snow at all), have tickets for the game and equally nervous about the early Saturday morning drive up...

Same boat. Driving up from Brighton on saturday morning. Cant bear the thought of reaching Lancashire to find that the game is called off.

I have to say I miss this guy from last season:

Nzonzi in the war!

When I put him in my team at FIFA I always seem to play better. Gave his all, fought and had some neet passing.

We should line up like this.

Salgado - Samba - Nelsen - Olsson

Jones - Nzonzi

Diouf - Dunn - Pedersen

Kalinic

Subs: Hoilett, Benjani, Roberts, Givet, Goulon

That team will see us lined up with two wing backs and 2 hard working, hard tackling midfielders who could cover for them. Dunn, EH Diouf and Peds will have some freedom to drift and concentrate about the offensive play. Kalinic is very good at bringing others into play.

I think this may be the game to switch once again to three at the back.

---------------------------Roberts

------Diouf----Pedersen------Jones----Hoilett

Olsson-------------------------------------------Emerton

------------Givet-------Nelsen-----Samba

------------------------Robinson

Subs:- Bunn, Morris, Nzonzi, Dunn, Goulon, Benjani, Kalinic,

I really want to see Olsson come back, I think in this formation he could make a massive difference.

ps. If Olsson isn't available maybe Morris could be deployed in the left wing back role?

We need to attack them not defend.

4 at the back, peds, dunn & Jones in the middle with Hoillet and Diouf on the wings. Roberts to lead the line.

We need a win from this to eradicate the memory of last Saturday & playing 5 at the back at home is not the way to do it.

It's all about opinions, but for me we are far more attacking with the 541 than the 4231 - mainly because it lets the wing backs overlap and get well forward, while Diouf and Hoilett can cut inside and support Roberts. See the Newcastle performance for example.

It's all about opinions, but for me we are far more attacking with the 541 than the 4231 - mainly because it lets the wing backs overlap and get well forward, while Diouf and Hoilett can cut inside and support Roberts. See the Newcastle performance for example.

Your right it is all about opinions. Have we not tried 3 at the back against Wolves before? I believe they switched onto to it much quicker than Newcastle did and with greater effect. The newcastle result was great but how much of it was down to us setting up completely differently and putting them on the back foot early on, for me this is the key. We need a positive start so we can quickly re-build confidence not just in the players but in the crowd as well.

We are the home team, we need a result and a performance on Saturday and we need to get them on the back foot from the start. Having the extra man in midfield and attack will hopefully allow us to keep the ball better and higher up the pitch as that's where we need to be playing against them.

I'd be quite happy to see it once we are 2 to the good but not as a starting point it just sends out the wrong message and gives wolves the opportunity to keep the ball with us only having 5 in midfield and attack against there 8 (I think they play 442). I'm all for Diouf and Hoillet cutting in but with Dunn and MGP there on top of Jones sitting. With Wolves only having 4 in the middle Salgado and Givet can still venture forward to support.

Your right it is all about opinions. Have we not tried 3 at the back against Wolves before? I believe they switched onto to it much quicker than Newcastle did and with greater effect. The newcastle result was great but how much of it was down to us setting up completely differently and putting them on the back foot early on, for me this is the key. We need a positive start so we can quickly re-build confidence not just in the players but in the crowd as well.

We are the home team, we need a result and a performance on Saturday and we need to get them on the back foot from the start. Having the extra man in midfield and attack will hopefully allow us to keep the ball better and higher up the pitch as that's where we need to be playing against them.

I'd be quite happy to see it once we are 2 to the good but not as a starting point it just sends out the wrong message and gives wolves the opportunity to keep the ball with us only having 5 in midfield and attack against there 8 (I think they play 442). I'm all for Diouf and Hoillet cutting in but with Dunn and MGP there on top of Jones sitting. With Wolves only having 4 in the middle Salgado and Givet can still venture forward to support.

I just think we 541 we commit more players forward when attacking, and are better set up to win the ball when we lose it. Realistically with 4231 we only commit the front 4, plus Salgado from time to time. Givet never gets forward. With the 541 we commit both full backs, three midfielders and the striker, have more width, and better options. Also in 541 we drive forward from deep more which, imo, suits Olsson, Emerton, Diouf and Hoilett better than receiving in more advanced positions.

And on top of that the three at the back can handle two out and out strikers very well - as it did at Newcastle. It does struggle however if there is one up and the other drops off. If Wolves go 442 it would suit the 541.

Anyway we shall see.

We need to attack them not defend.

4 at the back, peds, dunn & Jones in the middle with Hoillet and Diouf on the wings. Roberts to lead the line.

We need a win from this to eradicate the memory of last Saturday & playing 5 at the back at home is not the way to do it.

For me, it should be 4-4-2. Wolves don't have the best midfield and with an extra man up front it will give a positive impetus to the team after the 7-1 mauling. 4-5-1 usually works best when Dunn is playing well, but he's been an absolute passenger this season so he deserves dropping.

Well I have reluctantly decided to pass on this one. Quite apart from the question of whether the weather will allow play in Blackburn there is (for me ) the much more serious question of the availability and timing of trains from and back to Scotland. At present the state of Scotrail services is absolutely chaotic with delays and cancellations being the norm rather than the exception on virtually all routes. So given that at the best of times (Aug/Sept) the round trip takes me from 0915 to 2359 (or so) for the door to door journey, I am not of a mind to risk being stranded anywhere along the way.

Archived