BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2018/22 World Cup bids

Surprised there's been no thread about this.

I'm not just saying this because I'm from England but if all was fair England would get the vote for 2018. Spain had it in '82 AND theirs is a joint bid with Portugal which Blatter supposedly banned (and which will take away one qualifying spot from Europe). Russia is a huge country, ridiculous to get around and a country which still openly boos black players which play in its leagues.

The fact Qatar is a favourite for 2022 shows what a farce this whole thing is. There is no way on this earth that on MERIT anyone should choose QATAR as a place to host a World Cup. I mean seriously, wtf. It would also take the mick a bit if USA, Japan or S Korea got it so soon after hosting it. I'd love to see the Aussies host that one.

Current oddschecker odds:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/internationals/world-cup/2018-host

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/internationals/world-cup/2022-host

Qatar are favourites for 2022 right now. For me if Qatar win that race then the international game will have plumbed depths it's never reached before. Amid all the allegations of bribery etc, if the 2022 Cup still goes to the bid with almost zero going for it, a lot going against it and a ton of oil money behind it then it would be a damning indictment on FIFA.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness with the odds people have very little idea how the FIFA delegates are going to vote so it's a bit of a guess really. I agree with you that the Aussies would do a great job hosting, surely it should be between them and the US since Korea and Japan hosted in 2002. Qatar's bid baffles me, if they win it'll be ridiculous.

I suspect Panorama will be the death-knell in the England bid's coffin. It'll be interesting to see if anything comes of the allegations but haven't they jumped the gun before on cases like this? I'm thinking specifically of the controversy with the football agents a few years back.

Can't disagree with much of that TGM.

The major thing in England's favour is that we will bring FIFA its biggest profit.

The whole process is ripe for corruption and the sight of Prime Ministers, Princes and sportsman desperately wooing these two bit 'delegates' as they feather their nests is a sad indicment of the game.

I think England has shot themselves in the foot. Clear favorites 2 months ago. I believe the Iberian bid is definitely ahead and Russia is on par with England. Its a shame, it would have been good. Id definitely rather Iberia than Russia.

About 2022, if it is in Qatar, it would be excellent for the region, the proximity makes accessibility very easy. People could theoretically even stay in Bahrain and drive up in 30-45 minutes, or even fly off from Dubai on a 45 minute flight. That's for people worried about size, which I dont think is a problem at all. It will be a closely knit WC and fans from all over will be able to come, unlike somewhere like Australia not only will the time zone be far off but you wont get as many supporters traveling as otherwise.

Apparently president Putin will not be attending and with enclaves big dogs, Cameron , prince William and necks in the fold enclaves odds are now shortening.

I think the recent big news and publicity about prince william might do us some good too.

Why dont Qatar have anything going for it?

They have been working on this for the last 4-5 years, I am guessing thats longer than the Aussies.

We have been working not only on this, but for the game in general for years. If you listen to the propaganda from FIFA, it's all about developing the game. We could really use it over here. Not saying that Qatar don't, mind you. As for people not travelling to Australia to go watch, strongly disagree. We held a pretty damn good Olympics not so long ago, visited by people from all over the world.

The USA will probably get it, but they had their turn a while ago. Same with Japan and South Korea. But it all comes down to money I'm afraid. Source close to the bid thinks we won't get it.

Spain seem to be quietly confident in regards to their bid. But hope England get it.

Bobby, I can see why you're rooting for Qatar. But really, in terms of passion for sport, legacy, track record at hosting big events, experience for the fans etc etc Australia should blow Qatar out of the water. A FIFA report rated Qatars bid as "high risk" and yet theyre still favourites because of the way the voting system works.

England's bid has recieved a boost today though with Jack Warner and Hayatou both speaking in support of it. We might yet do this...

Bobby, I can see why you're rooting for Qatar. But really, in terms of passion for sport, legacy, track record at hosting big events, experience for the fans etc etc Australia should blow Qatar out of the water. A FIFA report rated Qatars bid as "high risk" and yet theyre still favourites because of the way the voting system works.

England's bid has recieved a boost today though with Jack Warner and Hayatou both speaking in support of it. We might yet do this...

When I hear that the likes of Warner and Hayatou support something I know it's something I don't want to be associated with.

Australia has a big problem with geography. It's simply impossible for them to put on games at the peak times when most of the world market for football wants to watch. If the matches are played in the middle of the night or early in the morning then TV will not pay the sort of money that FIFA wants.

Qatar's killer attraction is their offer to dismantle many of the stadiums after the finals and give them to developing countries. That is a serious attraction for most of the developing world and particularly for the FIFA delegates from there who will be making the decision.

When I hear that the likes of Warner and Hayatou support something I know it's something I don't want to be associated with.

Australia has a big problem with geography. It's simply impossible for them to put on games at the peak times when most of the world market for football wants to watch. If the matches are played in the middle of the night or early in the morning then TV will not pay the sort of money that FIFA wants.

Qatar's killer attraction is their offer to dismantle many of the stadiums after the finals and give them to developing countries. That is a serious attraction for most of the developing world and particularly for the FIFA delegates from there who will be making the decision.

Well it's only 2-3 hours ahead of Japan which was a success. Besides, arguably by 2022 the continuing emergence of the Asian economies and rising interest in the game will mean the majority of the world footballing market will be in Asia for whom the time difference won't be such a big deal.

Putin not going to the FIFA jamboree is a clear sign that Russia does not expect to win.

Beyond that everything is wide open.

Will FIFA go for an Iberia/Qatar double bill after the vote swapping allegations?

Will the British media have the balls to rip the guts out of FIFA after the voting or were the sensationalists of Panorama just after a bit of self-publicity at England's expense?

I am strangely excited. I keep telling myself we were third favourites for the Olympics on the day of the voting. Cameron et al. need to repeat what Tony Blair managed in 2005.

I remember watching the Olympics announcement and couldn't believe we won. It was quite an uplifting day. Sadly the mood changed somewhat less than 24hrs later. :(

• Moderation Lead

It's a crying shame what's gone on that has damaged England's bid. We've not had a WC since '66, we hosted Euro '96 and that was a success. Panorama really could have waited a matter of days but elected to shoot us in the foot-thanks BBC!

We've got the stadiums, the infrastructure, transport system but sadly not the voters in our back pocket.

If we don't win it, it really shows how anti-England FIFA really is.....

Putin pulling out cause Russian wont win, and publicly they have suggested its cause of the Iberian-Qatari pact.

About people who dont know. Qatar has been establishing a closer and closer relationship with Spanish football over the last 3 years, through TV Deals, sponsorships, the Royal family buying Malaga, Guardiola playing there and continuing the "business relationship" since then as well.

Not only that, I dont think you will have a bigger collection of football names attached to their 2022 bid. They include Zidane, Batistuta, Ronald De Boer, Guardiola, Sir Alex, etc...

Yep, all those names have signed up because they feel passionate about having a World Cup in 60 degree heat, in a tiny country with little footballing tradition, in front of sterile crowds taking place in soulless cities.

It has nothing to do with the no doubt vast amounts of oil money given to them.

Actually maybe a little harsh on Zidane as he feels obvious affinity with the Arab world through his North African roots.

Betting exchanges have Englands odds shortening and Russia and Iberias odds drifting. Russians are still on at slightly worse than evens but you can get 6/1 at one place for a Spain Portugal 2018 Cup.

Qatars odds have shortened further to 1/2 but I'm still hopeful FIFA won't go through with what IMO would be maybe their worst decision in history.

Think Spain/Portugal and Australia could be worth a flutter...

Its all about money. Any way you look at it. Any angle you look at it. Unfair to put that on the Qataris only.

Disagree with that. I think FIFAs decision to give S Africa the Cup wasn't all about money.

Money is practically the only thing the Qatari bid has, except for this stadiums idea - but then moving them to poorer countries is one thing but they'd soon fall into disrepair if they're not maintained properly.

Why do you think it would be the "worst decision in history"? If South Africa deserved a WC out of sentiment, and the US got theirs, and so did the Far East, then why doesnt the Middle East deserve one either? Especially a country that has been investing heavily in a sporting programme for the better part of a decade, and positioned itself as a sporting country if you will.

I still dont think they will get it cause of the size; however, if its the heat that worries you then I am pretty confident its something that they will have worked out, otherwise there is no way FIFA would agree.

Betting exchanges have Englands odds shortening and Russia and Iberias odds drifting. Russians are still on at slightly worse than evens but you can get 6/1 at one place for a Spain Portugal 2018 Cup.

Qatars odds have shortened further to 1/2 but I'm still hopeful FIFA won't go through with what IMO would be maybe their worst decision in history.

Think Spain/Portugal and Australia could be worth a flutter...

Disagree with that. I think FIFAs decision to give S Africa the Cup wasn't all about money.

Money is practically the only thing the Qatari bid has, except for this stadiums idea - but then moving them to poorer countries is one thing but they'd soon fall into disrepair if they're not maintained properly.

What do the other bids have going for them? I think this legacy on its own is something to take notice of. No one has the divine right to host the WC I would say.

Archived