BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 2018/22 World Cup bids

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bitterly disappointed and can share the frustration at the process.

Can't believe that Australia only got 1 vote. I thought our bid was a safe bet with an opportunity to bring the cup down to a country with a passion for all sport & a proven track record of being able to produce world class events.

Bring on 2050??

It seems to me that the English are about 10x more disappointed with this than the actual performance of their team at the last World Cup. Which is utterly bizarre to me. Yes, hosting the World Cup would be great. But I would much rather reach high in a competition than host it.

Forget about 2018 or 2022, focus on 2014. That is where you can really recapture your pride and glory - on the field itself. Put in the same commitment towards reshaping the team and integrating the new stars.

As for the winners Russia and Qatar...they most certainly do not have better stadiums than England, or even most other bidding countries. But they've never hosted the competition before, and it helps the image of football as a truly global sport. So in that way I think they will be interesting.

just read a load of stuff about qutar ...unreal that its gone there

2026 in somalia now looks a reasonable bet.

seriously the next euros are in poland/ukraine and 6 years later the world cup is in russia after brazil and the empty seated winter joke of south africa, bring the game back where people will want to watch it ffs.

PL clubs pay players wages, EPL wants to tell the FA that they are the paymasters and in charge.........needs to be a breakaway in all major countries from the respective fa's and ultimately fifa. If one country wants to use technology let them (Please don't use that word again) all to do with FIFA bent nobodies, Swiss president and trinadadian number 2 in charge of world football do me a favour.

How difficult would it be to set up an independant world cup organisation, put counties on a rotation basis and throw in a wildcard destination every 24-28 years ###### take in the extreme that it will be at least 60 years between england hosting world cups. FIFA just would'nt be missed.

What I find really funny is suddenly people emerging saying oh don't beat yourself up it was known many months ago that Russia and Qatar would get it. So what was all that about the Iberian and Qatari bids colluding? Where was this "known" exactly? If so, why were bookmakers so out of the loop when they're usually on the money. For every theory about anything like this I am sure another theory exists about the other bidders.

Personally I think England getting only two votes is a sign of retribution by the committee. No guarantees that they would have won had the BBC and the newspaper sting events not happened, but they were worth more than 2 votes.

One thing that sticks out from the results are the floater voters who supported a certain bid in round 1 but then jumped over to another bidder. How did Japan lose a vote in round 2 and the BeNe bid lose 2 votes in round 2? That is a bit weird.

erm...more like back into recession! Would've been a treat to have the an economist like Brown at the helm.

But back on topic...shocking that England went out in the first round. And reading the comments from our Italian friend just confirms the Panorama investigation re the corruption..

To be fair, FIFA execs having to sit through a Brown speech would have been amusing.

I'm glad we didn't get it. Our arrogance towards the whole thing was disgusting, from our media to the general public. Read comments on the BBC live texts, we didn't deserve it at all.

"England IS football, and England deserves the honour of hosting the beautiful game"

"I really believe England should get this!!! The World Cup needs to be here, we are football!"

Although one guy did manage to sum it up perfectly before the draw was even made...

"As much as I'd love to see it here, if Fifa want to prove this is a global game and have a lasting effect worldwide, Russia and Qatar should be the hosts. It's the World Cup, let's take it around the world."

By the way...how dare the BBC allow employees to post feelings of disappointment, they're one of the main reasons we came last.

We've already got the Olympics to come, more than most nations will see in our lifetime. The world is rightfully sharing football, we've got plenty to look forward to.

The only logical reason I can understand for England not winning the bid (or at least getting more than 2 votes) is because we have hosted it before and there was a strong drive towards new hosts amongst the voters.

With that in mind it seems odd that Australia went out first before Japan and Korea (very recent hosts), and the USA (also recent hosts), which would suggest that the preference towards new hosts was applied selectively and inconsistently

I'm glad we didn't get it. Our arrogance towards the whole thing was disgusting, from our media to the general public. Read comments on the BBC live texts, we didn't deserve it at all.

"England IS football, and England deserves the honour of hosting the beautiful game"

"I really believe England should get this!!! The World Cup needs to be here, we are football!"

Although one guy did manage to sum it up perfectly before the draw was even made...

"As much as I'd love to see it here, if Fifa want to prove this is a global game and have a lasting effect worldwide, Russia and Qatar should be the hosts. It's the World Cup, let's take it around the world."

By the way...how dare the BBC allow employees to post feelings of disappointment, they're one of the main reasons we came last.

We've already got the Olympics to come, more than most nations will see in our lifetime. The world is rightfully sharing football, we've got plenty to look forward to.

Okay I agree some of the "we are football" texts are nauseating, but we had by far the best bid for 2018. Russia were regarded as high/medium risk. Most reasonable football fans in this country are outraged not because we think we ARE football, but because we genuinely had the best bid, as assessed objectively by the FIFA's own teams. The country rated lowest came top, and the country rated highest came bottom. Football IS a global game, it's watched all around the world. There's no need to give countries with sub standard bids the Cup and force the issue.

The last time we hosted it was a lifetime ago, there's not many people around today who remember that, and most of those that do would be in no fit state to attend a 2018 World Cup game. Hosting it in 1966 is much the same as never hosting it at all to most people, it's a different country practically to what it was then. So much more diverse for one. Why give it to Germany, France, Mexico, Brazil and Italy twice if countries shouldnt have it more than once? Why were USA second in the race when they'd hosted it in '94?

And Qatar hosting it is ridiculous for so many reasons. Australia have scores of fantastic cities, reasonable temperatures in June, a growing passion for the game, crowds passionate about any kind of sport and tons of tourist destinations for fans when they're not watching games. Also they've never hosted it. Again, I believe they scored highest, or one of the highest out of the bids yet, Qatar finished lowest yet Australia crashed out too with one vote.

Surely you can see why people are so upset? TBH judging by the reactions on my facebook, most English people I know are at least as outraged at Qatar being given the 2022 vote as England missing out.

The last time we hosted it was a lifetime ago, there's not many people around today who remember that, and most of those that do would be in no fit state to attend a 2018 World Cup game. Hosting it in 1966 is much the same as never hosting it at all to most people, it's a different country practically to what it was then.

What utter nonsense. I was 12 in 1966 and remember the final as if it was yesterday. I'll be 64 in 2018 and according to you incapable of attending a football match!!!! Bet I spend more time at Ewood that season than you. As a doctor do you consider everyone of 64 or older in no fit state to take part in everyday life??

That aside it's clear we didn't spend enough cash on this bid. That's why we lost. It will all be on the telly.

What utter nonsense. I was 12 in 1966 and remember the final as if it was yesterday. I'll be 64 in 2018 and according to you incapable of attending a football match!!!! Bet I spend more time at Ewood that season than you. As a doctor do you consider everyone of 64 or older in no fit state to take part in everyday life??

That aside it's clear we didn't spend enough cash on this bid. That's why we lost. It will all be on the telly.

Christ, has early dementia set in already, or have you had a lifelong cognitive impairment?

I said "most" of those won't be in much of a state.

You were 12, but there'll be many who were just a bit younger than you, 7 or 8 or younger who won't remember it very well at all. Also experiencing a World Cup in your country as a child is very different to experiencing it as an adult, making your own plans to see matches and taking in the atmosphere at your own leisure. Those 18 or older in '66 would be over 70 in 2018 and while there'll be a significant number who will be able to attend, the majority again for various reasons won't be able to or won't have the same urge to due to health/mobility reasons etc.

All of which doesn't detract from my main point that the vast majority of this country who wouldve been able to attend 2018 will have no recollection of the 1966 hosting or at least would not have been able to really enjoy it to the full.

The last time we hosted it was a lifetime ago, there's not many people around today who remember that, and most of those that do would be in no fit state to attend a 2018 World Cup game.

Bloody hell .... I saw the final as a child and although I'm getting on I've not reached the dementia stage (yet) and would hope though not of course guaranteed to be reasonably ga-ga in 2018. If you're a doctor God help your patients !!

Okay I agree some of the "we are football" texts are nauseating, but we had by far the best bid for 2018

We had no chance after the BBC Panorama thing though.

I must admit I find Qatar very odd. But then...the World Cup has never been to Eastern Europe or the Middle East. I'd much rather Qatar than the US. Nothing personal against the US, but they had it a mere 16 years ago.

I honestly don't understand why people are angry. We were never going to get 2018 because of our media, and 2022 has nothing to do with us really.

We had no chance after the BBC Panorama thing though.

I must admit I find Qatar very odd. But then...the World Cup has never been to Eastern Europe or the Middle East. I'd much rather Qatar than the US. Nothing personal against the US, but they had it a mere 16 years ago.

I honestly don't understand why people are angry. We were never going to get 2018 because of our media, and 2022 has nothing to do with us really.

If there's corruption within FIFA it should be exposed, maybe the timing was poor but surely it should anger people that the organisation controlling something all of us feel so passionate about is so corrupt? We didn't get 2018 because of FIFA's corruption, the media wasn't the primary reason.

And as football fans 2022 has everything to do with us, at least give it to the Aussies who were rated fairly well on the FIFA reports? There's plenty of people on here who went to South Africa and had a great time and want it to be held in places they'd enjoy, or at the very least want to see a good World Cup on the TV? A 50 degree Qatari World Cup would provide neither of those.

Bloody hell .... I saw the final as a child and although I'm getting on I've not reached the dementia stage (yet) and would hope though not of course guaranteed to be reasonably ga-ga in 2018. If you're a doctor God help your patients !!

You'd be well advised to read the post above yours jim..and ask yourself the same question at the top.

We were never going to get 2018 because of our media, .

We were never got to get it because it was badly managed and under-funded. Blaming the messenger is a cop-out.

You'd be well advised to read the post above yours jim..and ask yourself the same question at the top.

Are "most" people in their 70s in "not much of state" (whatever that means - is it a medical term ?). I think you'll find plenty of people in their 70s and 80s at Ewood most weeks, and enjoying their football.

We were never got to get it because it was badly managed and under-funded. Blaming the messenger is a cop-out.

Are "most" people in their 70s in "not much of state" (whatever that means - is it a medical term ?). I think you'll find plenty of people in their 70s and 80s at Ewood most weeks, and enjoying their football.

Yes, you see the side of the people in their 70s and 80s at Ewood enjoying their football. You don't see those who can't make it down at Ewood do you? Also how many of those attending do you think would be game for a jolly round various cities in the country in a couple of weeks watching games, and how many will be content to watch it at home on the TV?

The word "most" encompasses not just those who were in their 20s and 30s in 1966 who will be in their 70s and 80s, but also those who were in their 40s and 50s in '66, who will either be in their 90s or who won't be around in 2018, or who aren't around now.

I'd say when you total up the amount of people who were in their 40s and 50s and older in '66, together with the amount of people in their 70s and 80s who won't be able to make it, you'll find that forms the majority of people who were around in '66.

Personally I'm astonished that Beckham's eloquence didn't swing it for us! :wacko:

The delegates were patronising towards our team so no matter what Beckham had said, or how many meetings they attended the decision was made weeks ago. Blatter hates England and i hope the Press take a good look at the way FIFA's finances are, I hope William has took back the wedding invites.

Archived